• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The spirit of Camino

Botaivica

Time of past OR future Camino
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
What is the "Spirit of Camino" for you?

I've been writing again on the Forum for the last few days and I see the diversity that adorns the Camino. It brings back memories of my three Caminos and what I felt as the "Spirit of Camino". On the first Camino I was 67, last year on the third Camino I was 72. Which means I have life experience and can see the changes the Camino has brought me. The changes were caused by the "Spirit of Camino". something that we cannot experience in our everyday life. But what we felt on the Camino we can take home.

For me, "The spirit of Camino" is:

Love - love for pilgrims, for nature, for snails in the Pyrenees, to hug a tree, smell the flowers

Freedom - freedom of choice, when and how much I will walk, where I will walk, with whom I will talk, where and what I will eat

Albergues - togetherness in sleeping, washing clothes, hygiene, dinner with unknown people who become your friends at that dinner, community in washing dishes

After Camino, my outlook on life changed, for the better.😇

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
a good friend asked me yesterday………

”in one word, what does the Camino mean to you”

without pausing for thought, I said “peace”.

and when I think of what that means for me…..your post makes 100% sense.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
something that we cannot experience in our everyday life.
With respect, I disagree.

With the exception of
for snails in the Pyrenees
which are kind of geo located there is not much else on your list that cannot be replicated in home life.
Sure, you may be considered a bit odd to engage a random person in conversation over a coffee, and you may not want to invite random strangers into your home to share the accommodation but alternatives do exist.

Indeed, I'd suggest that the one great benefit of the Camino is that it can be a major shake up of normal life.

It's up to ourselves how we accommodate that lesson in our lives.

I've been writing again on the Forum for the last few days and I see the diversity that adorns the Camino. It brings back memories of my three Caminos and what I felt as the "Spirit of Camino". On the first Camino I was 67, last year on the third Camino I was 72. Which means I have life experience and can see the changes the Camino has brought me. The changes were caused by the "Spirit of Camino". something that we cannot experience in our everyday life. But what we felt on the Camino we can take home.

Love - love for pilgrims, for nature, for snails in the Pyrenees, to hug a tree, smell the flowers

Freedom - freedom of choice, when and how much I will walk, where I will walk, with whom I will talk, where and what I will eat

Albergues - togetherness in sleeping, washing clothes, hygiene, dinner with unknown people who become your friends at that dinner, community in washing dishes

Transition. I choose that word because my wife and I walked our first camino when we were transitioning to a new life after 40 years of working and 21 years of raising kids. We had to rediscover not only ourselves, but each other. The camino did that for us. On that first camino, we encountered many others in transition, including young people who were transitioning from school to work, from one job to another, from one career to something as yet they could not discern. Then there was the couple whose 17 year old son committed suicide. They had become estranged, bitter, full of guilt. They were seeking transition to a life of hope displacing the despair they felt. I am pleased to report that all of us found our answers on the camino. For my wife and I, our new life includes looking forward every year to another camino path. For us, life is a constant transition which a camino helps clarify.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

With the exception of

which are kind of geo located there is not much else on your list that cannot be replicated in home life.
Sure, you may be considered a bit odd to engage a random person in conversation over a coffee, and you may not want to invite random strangers into your home to share the accommodation but alternatives do exist.

Indeed, I'd suggest that the one great benefit of the Camino is that it can be a major shake up of normal life.

I tend to agree with your disagreement. I found, like many say, the Camino to be a metaphor for life. It was like a six-week bootcamp for how to live better, leading to this "Spirit of the Camino" effect. I have had similar experiences elsewhere, but for now I can't imagine a better way to bake "La Torta de Santiago" than on the Way of St. James.
I'm going to give my answer to the original poster's question here: The struggle gave it meaning. The love, both given and received, makes it sacred. And the freedom to just be... makes me want to return. In one word? Well, that would have to be freedom. Just my thoughts on a Wednesday morning.

Words are sometimes the least effective method of expression. My brother and I (79 and 80) will walk our third Camino this year. It is an extension of how we choose to live every day. Our secluded lifestyle on the big island (Hawaii) is peaceful, serene, simple and filled with variety - including challenges - as we still create art and woodwork at least 10 hours every day. Joyfully and tired - as when walking the Camino. Seeing others deal with the same difficulties we experience is a perfect example that Life is a sequence of ups and downs. Inspiration is obvious along The Way. Gratitude is found in abundance.

Presence:
  • an awareness of the landscape and a presence of being in it deeply
  • the happy sharing of the way with other pilgrims
  • the past intrudes with ancient carving and footsteps worn into the very stones
  • the unexpected sweet awareness of the companionship of my Lord, on His way.

Simplicity:
  • discovering how little one needs to be happy
  • discovering how much one has, with almost no "stuff" involved
  • letting go of appearances

Discovery:
  • the priceless inner journey, into the past to make sense of the present
  • the daily encounter with beauty
  • the north coast of Spain!!!!
  • the mountains of Spain!!!!
  • the food of Spain!!!!
  • the people of Spain!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

For me the Spirit of the Camino is my inner voice, a voice that day to day is drowned out in our 24/7 hurry, hurry society. The Camino is the opportunity to hear the voice. Possibly the change we sometime feel from the Camino is just our responding to our inner voice, our real self.

When I describe the Camino to others I tell them that it's the way life is intended to be: we offer help to one another, and accept help for ourselves in turn. We meet the people we're supposed to meet, knowing that we may see them again or we may not. We commune together when we can. We don't judge others based on age, physical characteristics, etc... We let others walk their own journey without worrying how it will affect our own, and we go forward on our path listening to the voice inside providing direction and pace. It's letting peace lead us and walk with us. I believe that's the Spirit of the Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyday on the Camino was hard for me: Physically, emotionally, mentally HARD. EVERY DAY. And yet every day was beautiful, and meaningful. The worries of the world mostly disappeared, as I focused, like so many others have said, on the present. Being present. One foot in front of the other as I make it up this hill, or through that village, or choosing to wait for the tour of the Cathedral, rather than getting to the Albergue in time to get the wash on the line so it would dry before bedtime, or learning about someone else and why they were making the same journey as I was. In the last week or so, I began to wonder how I would feel at "the end". And when the end came, I felt mostly joy (mixed with some sadness that it was over). Joy for all the wonderful people I'd met, for all the places I'd visited, for all the experiences I'd had. And with that came the realization that I may not have gotten out of the Camino what I'd hoped to get out of it, but I'd gotten a sense of Peace I had not felt in many, many years, which was, in fact, one of the greatest gifts I could have given myself. Now, less than 6 months from having completed my Camino, there are days when I feel the joy and peace have eroded, and I crave to get back to that place.

One word that captures the Spirit is intimacy: sharing stories, meals, bathrooms and bedrooms with strangers; listening and wrestling with my own thoughts; and a profound connection with Divine reality.

For me it was living each day for the day. Meeting beautiful souls along the way was so important. Also, the daily struggle was real! It gave meaning and purpose to the pilgrimage. I loved the reverence the Spanish people have for the Camino. I will never forget it and hope that I can carry the spirit of community or ‘church’ with me till the end of my days.

€46,-

With the exception of

With respect, I agree. 😇

We have different habits, different cultures, lifestyles, different religions............
We have different occupations, different ages, we live in different environments, city or village ...........

But when we come to the Camino, then we are on the Camino. And the Camino gives everyone the same, the same nature, the same Way. It is up to us how we will accept it, experience it, how will we answer him.

I cannot repeat the Camino in my city. There are no albergues, restaurants are expensive and walking in the parks is not at all like the Camino.

I see that there are pilgrims who bring their lifestyle to the Camino. At home, they walk or run a few kilometers, eat in restaurants and transfer that to the Camino. They send their backpacks by taxi, sleep in double rooms with bathrooms, eat in restaurants. They walk like at home, sleep like at home, eat like at home. They brought the spirit of their lives to the Camino. How can such a man feel the spirit of Camino?

Of course, there are exceptions, when someone is weak or sick. I met a girl who dislocated her leg and rode part of the Camino on horseback.

So, we have a word, "how many people - so many mood". And I accept that. :)

I asked the same question (and received some great answers!) in this thread:

What does the ‘spirit of the camino’ mean to you?

Then @Wendy Werneth and I discussed some of the answers and the concept in general in the first episode of our Spirit of the Camino podcast:

Introduction and the Spirit of the Camino
Thank you jungleboy,

I saw your thread later. At school they taught me that "repetition is the mother of wisdom".
Which certainly also applies to the Camino;)

Given that the subject is "Spirit" something which in my world is intangible, I think we may be working at cross purposes.

Whatever about....
I cannot repeat the Camino in my city. There are no albergues, restaurants are expensive and walking in the parks is not at all like the Camino.

It's a pity that you packed your judgement and brought it with you to Spain.
How can such a man feel the spirit of Camino?

But when we come to the Camino, then we are on the Camino. And the Camino gives everyone the same, the same nature, the same Way. It is up to us how we will accept it, experience it, how will we answer him.

Some would suggest that we can replace "Camino" with "World" and the experience will be similar.
I'd be one of those people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With respect, I agree. 😇

We have different habits, different cultures, lifestyles, different religions............
We have different occupations, different ages, we live in different environments, city or village ...........

I see that there are pilgrims who bring their lifestyle to the Camino. At home, they walk or run a few kilometers, eat in restaurants and transfer that to the Camino. They send their backpacks by taxi, sleep in double rooms with bathrooms, eat in restaurants. They walk like at home, sleep like at home, eat like at home. They brought the spirit of their lives to the Camino. How can such a man feel the spirit of Camino?

Of course, there are exceptions, when someone is weak or sick. I met a girl who dislocated her leg and rode part of the Camino on horseback.

So, we have a word, "how many people - so many mood". And I accept that. :)
I did put my bag through after my osteoarthritis flared and sometimes ate in restaurants sometimes in the Albergue when available. I mostly slept in Albergues and I walked all the way. I was still able to experience something I would call Spirit. And, I think I can bring that knowing in small but important ways to my home life. I’m grateful to the Spanish people and my fellow pilgrims. 🙏

I am interested in this point that you are making. I have been on pilgrimage twice with people who 'brought their lifestyle' to the pilgrimage. Of course, I was a bit 'judgy'. Ha Ha!
However, I saw that even so, something changed for them - some growth, some learning.

For me it is about leaving my lifestyle at home - that's why I always try and carry my pack - it keeps me 'honest' - and I want to hone down to who I really am without all the accouterments.
I love what others have shared - thank you for your words.
In addition to that, for me the spirit of the Camino is about meeting myself - over and over again in nature, with other pilgrims, in solitude and for me most challenging, in company.
There is an energy, an angel, a sensation, a space, that is Camino. It is sacred and, in many ways, indescribable. I think it is my very own Self - and the Self of all.
And that's what keeps drawing me back.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They send their backpacks by taxi, sleep in double rooms with bathrooms, eat in restaurants. They walk like at home, sleep like at home, eat like at home. They brought the spirit of their lives to the Camino. How can such a man feel the spirit of Camino?
If by this you mean to say that those who sleep in hotels, eat in restaurants, and have their bags transferred cannot feel the spirit of Camino, then I must say that you have a different conception of the spirit of the Camino than I do.

For me, the spirit of the Camino is best felt when recognizing that we are all pilgrims, whether sleeping in albergues or hotels, whether cooking our own food (which, incidentally, I do at home) or eating in restaurants (which I am most likely to do where a communal meal is not offered by the albergue), whether carrying our backpacks or having them sent ahead. It isn't the backpack on the back that makes a pilgrim. It is the journey towards the destination and the openness to what it has to offer and to those who share the journey with you. However they travel.

But your mileage may vary.

If by this you mean to say that those who sleep in hotels, eat in restaurants, and have their bags transferred cannot feel the spirit of Camino, then I must say that you have a different conception of the spirit of the Camino than I do.

For me, the spirit of the Camino is best felt when recognizing that we are all pilgrims, whether sleeping in albergues or hotels, whether cooking our own food (which, incidentally, I do at home) or eating in restaurants (which I am most likely to do where a communal meal is not offered by the albergue), whether carrying our backpacks or having them sent ahead. It isn't the backpack on the back that makes a pilgrim. It is the journey towards the destination and the openness to what it has to offer and to those who share the journey with you. However they travel.

But your mileage may vary.
It is completely normal that I have a different view of the spirit of Camino than you, or someone else. What would this world look like if everyone thought the same.

When I opened this thread, I knew that people experience or feel the spirit of Camino differently. and no one should feel angry about it.

One comparison, the feeling, the spirit of the first Camino is different from my second and third Camino. I consider that normal, the knowledge I gained on my first Camino is unrepeatable.

Of course, I think that people who walk the Camino and sleep in hotels, eat lunch in restaurants, don't carry their backpacks, even though they can, that such people experience the Camino is differently from me and others who sleep in albergues, carry their backpacks, eat together with other pilgrims, after washing the dishes

I don't judge these people, they themselves chose how to live on Camino. What I'm saying is that they have a different Camino spirit than I do.

I will give an example

In O Cebreiro I slept in a room together with 50 other pilgrims. Two bunk beds were pushed together and eight pilgrims slept together. Everything was present, snoring, stirring, blowing, getting up to go to the toilet, getting ready early. Unlike those who slept peacefully in a hotel or Casa rual. Of course, their feeling, their experience is different from mine.

By the way, that night in O Cebreiro I slept like a little child.

Another thing that people often forget.

I spent three weeks together with a pilgrim from Japan. He saw my Camino plan and asked me if we could go together, so we walked together from Pamplona to Ambasmestas. In Logrono we slept in a church albergue and I asked him if he wanted to go to mass with me. He went to mass and received a blessing after the mass. He told me, I am a Buddhist, I am religious like you. I go to church, to mass, because it is a Camino tradition. The Camino has created a tradition over a thousand years, and I respect that tradition.

The Camino tradition.

For some new thread.

In O Cebreiro I slept in a room together with 50 other pilgrims. Two bunk beds were pushed together and eight pilgrims slept together. Everything was present, snoring, stirring, blowing, getting up to go to the toilet, getting ready early. Unlike those who slept peacefully in a hotel or Casa rual. Of course, their feeling, their experience is different from mine.
I remember my first night in O Cebreiro. There was no albergue. It hadn't been built yet. There was only one inn and it was full. It was cold and wet (early spring - Semana Santa). They let me put my sleeping bag down by the fireplace in the common room of the inn. My experience was different from yours. But I wouldn't ask "How can such a man feel the spirit of the Camino?" when I hear of your different experience. It is true that everyone's Camino experience is different. But when I think of the spirit of the Camino, I tend to think about what we have in common as pilgrims, rather than how we differ. Of course, that's just my approach.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't judge these people, they themselves chose how to live on Camino. What I'm saying is that they have a different Camino spirit than I do.

While I can understand the sentiment I would urge you to use kinder language than this
How can such a man feel the spirit of Camino?

I'm always slightly bemused when I see long, detailed discussions on weight, gear etc. I've found that the heaviest, most difficult loads are the ones between my ears.

It's quite easy to sum up a pack, weight and general Camino "style" in the briefest of moments. To similarly sum up another human; their fears and desires, their health and motivations strikes me as very different from my Camino Spirit and not a little ungenerous.
In fact, that is one of the Camino experiences that can be carried back to and enrich "normal" life.

There's another thread on here somewhere where the OP is being encouraged to use private accommodation for health reasons. Will you pop in and tell her that she won't feel the Spirit of the Camino if she does?

Words are sometimes the least effective method of expression. My brother and I (79 and 80) will walk our third Camino this year. It is an extension of how we choose to live every day. Our secluded lifestyle on the big island (Hawaii) is peaceful, serene, simple and filled with variety - including challenges - as we still create art and woodwork at least 10 hours every day. Joyfully and tired - as when walking the Camino. Seeing others deal with the same difficulties we experience is a perfect example that Life is a sequence of ups and downs. Inspiration is obvious along The Way. Gratitude is found in abundance.
Beautifully expressed. Which Camino will be your next? Buen Camino!🤩👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

My 1st camino (CF) I completed it with a very good friend, who was a medically retired firefighter in London, who was retired due to cancer, he is an Irish Catholic, & after him cancer treatment his mother died, he carried a small pot of her ashes, which he scattered at Finisterre. He was also diagnosed with PTSD, after dealing with a lot of stuff as a fireman, Grenfell fire, 7/7 terrorist attacks in London. I had recently lost my father to cancer, my wife had been treated for breast cancer, & after working for another emergency service for over 20 years, I realised that a lot of stress builds up. With nothing to do but walk & talked, we shared our issues, problems & stresses, without any one jumping to conclusions. 9 months later, I did the Del Norte, from Hendaye to SDC, in order to raise money for a PTSD charity for the the emergency services & military. This sense of purpose, & the vastness of the camino helped me, it doesn't mater where you come from, what race,creed, sexual orientation the camino doesn't care, we're all doing the same thing, to me it's the magic of the simplicity of the camino....I used to recite a poem I know
We are the Pilgrims master, & we shall always go that little further.....

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.