• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The walk from Finesterre to Muxia...anyone get lost off trail near a house

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I have been dying to ask this, and suprised I don't hear reference to it ever...
I walked from Finesterre last October to Muxia ...alone in pouring rain and some minimal thunder.

Towards the end I don't know what I did BUT at one second I was following signs and the next I was walking down a road (I think dirt) with maybe two houses or so and dogs barking at me etc...

I had no idea how to get out of my situation. If I remember correctly I actually stepped over a wire fencing in place to get back up towards a hill.

I was wondering if anyone else got lost in this area? Near some farm homes towards the end?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I HOPE I DONT GET LOST. I AM HEADING TOWARDS THE SEA THIS MORNING

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Although may not be near where you describe, in nearly 100 days 0f walking the CN and CF, the worst day of getting lost was on the way from Muxia to Fisterra. I was horribly frustrated and completely blind in my error. After almost two hours, I found my "mistake".

Here's the great thing about being lost on the Camino - being lost on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I go mountain hiking with my friends we always joke and say, " We never get lost...... we just INVESTIGATE!":rolleyes:
One can always learn from their errors.:)

Same thing goes for the Camino!

Buen Camino!

I HOPE I DONT GET LOST. I AM HEADING TOWARDS THE SEA THIS MORNING

krazeekuban,

If when "heading towards the sea" you are following the Finisterre camino,
it is EASY to follow the yellow arrows. Also the Eroski guide offers a good schematic on line map >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... -fisterra/ Before leaving Santiago at the Galicia Tourist Office, 30 rua de Vilar, pick up their invaluable free multilingual list of ALL services on the path including accommodation, restaurants/bars, buses/taxis.

You can first glimpse the sea when walking across the hills near Cee. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ In the dark from the dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Yes, me too!!! In october last year also. Having walked for two months from Le Puy to Santiago, I then caught the bus to Fisterra to walk up to Muxia. It was the hardest day....I think my mind and body had decided I had stopped in Fisterra and it was a real slog to get there.

I somehow went wrong at that crossroads after the long road section, don't know how, but found I was walking up the road nearer to the sea rather than over the hill as instructed. I hadn't seen any arrows, I didn't find the way well marked at all. The advantage was that I had better views of the sea I guess.

It certainly wasn't the glorious walk I was expecting from the Brierley description. (I am not a fan of his at the best of times, refused to buy his Camino guide but was given the Fisterra one)

There weren't even any cars to hitch a lift with!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
About 7 kms before Muxia, there was a re-routeing a few years ago and a couple of the old markers are still in place, it's just before the last lengthy stretch through woods, you come off a small road and meet a T-junction with a slightly larger road, the old route turned left for about 200 metres and then turned right off the road. The newer route turns right at the T-junction, follows the road for about 400 metres and then turns left onto a broad track which gradually climbs into woods and then descends. When you exit the woods you are in a very small village and turn left and about 1 kilometre later you reach a junction with the road into Muxia and about 2 kilometres later are in Muxia. Marking is not the clearest on this stretch and I had to guess my way a little. Sorry I can't give village names to help further but my Finisterre guide was 'borrowed' off a cafe table when i got back to Santiago.

About 7 kms before Muxia, there was a re-routeing a few years ago and a couple of the old markers are still in place, it's just before the last lengthy stretch through woods, you come off a small road and meet a T-junction with a slightly larger road, the old route turned left for about 200 metres and then turned right off the road. The newer route turns right at the T-junction, follows the road for about 400 metres and then turns left onto a broad track which gradually climbs into woods and then descends. When you exit the woods you are in a very small village and turn left and about 1 kilometre later you reach a junction with the road into Muxia and about 2 kilometres later are in Muxia. Marking is not the clearest on this stretch and I had to guess my way a little. Sorry I can't give village names to help further but my Finisterre guide was 'borrowed' off a cafe table when i got back to Santiago.

By an absent-minded peregrino no doubt.:(

Buen Camino!

I arrived safely in negreira last eve after a very long tough walk UP that hill! There is a wonderful greeting stand as you walk in and handouts of all new and up to date info. Stop here when you get in. Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I arrived safely in negreira last eve after a very long tough walk UP that hill! There is a wonderful greeting stand as you walk in and handouts of all new and up to date info. Stop here when you get in. Buen camino

Thanks for stopping at the greeting stand, I met Sienna, an American from San Jose, CA who works at the stand. She was amazed that I described the area she grew up in San Jose, it shows how small of a world we live in.

I have been dying to ask this, and suprised I don't hear reference to it ever...
I walked from Finesterre last October to Muxia ...alone in pouring rain and some minimal thunder.

Towards the end I don't know what I did BUT at one second I was following signs and the next I was walking down a road (I think dirt) with maybe two houses or so and dogs barking at me etc...

I had no idea how to get out of my situation. If I remember correctly I actually stepped over a wire fencing in place to get back up towards a hill.

I was wondering if anyone else got lost in this area? Near some farm homes towards the end?

I thought I was the only one? I was on the same walk recently and saw the same dogs? I even took photos and video of them. Don't remember the fence but do remember walking fast. I had a conversation with them (the dogs) and told them to be kind to the Pilgrims we were just visitors. I was in no danger. This part of my walk was very magical!

Yes, me too!!! In october last year also. Having walked for two months from Le Puy to Santiago, I then caught the bus to Fisterra to walk up to Muxia. It was the hardest day....I think my mind and body had decided I had stopped in Fisterra and it was a real slog to get there.

I somehow went wrong at that crossroads after the long road section, don't know how, but found I was walking up the road nearer to the sea rather than over the hill as instructed. I hadn't seen any arrows, I didn't find the way well marked at all. The advantage was that I had better views of the sea I guess.

It certainly wasn't the glorious walk I was expecting from the Brierley description. (I am not a fan of his at the best of times, refused to buy his Camino guide but was given the Fisterra one)

There weren't even any cars to hitch a lift with!

Have given Brierley the flick many years ago Dalston.
On the Portuguese a few years back we met a young german guy in Caminha who got the ferry there and was following the spanish coast to Vigo and beyond.
He said the walk between Finisterre and Muxia is by the ROAD and the views are beautiful.
This was mentioned in" his " german guide as the best way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
He said the walk between Finisterre and Muxia is by the ROAD
I walked from Muxia to Fisterra by road in steady, heavy rain. It goes to Cee, then Fisterra. I don't recall much in the way of views going to Cee, but it was nice for a road walk. Pilgrims ran the hand dryers to dry their boots in the Cee albergue, blew the circuit breakers, and we were without power for three hours!

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back