Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

The way

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by scubajunky, Apr 19, 2017.

1. scubajunky

scubajunky Active Member

Well after 285km in 8 and a half days walking I have pulled the plug on my Camino Sanabres, if you have never heard of it , there is probably a good reason why, I hadn't either until a month ago, it was my fourth Camino not including my Finesterre/ muxia extension.
    I walked the French way in two sections, the portuges and the primitivo, I loved all of them, I just didn't get anything out of this one and as my job is very stressful I wanted to relax, I didn't want to return to work exhausted after a holiday so pulled the plug and am off to the beach.
    The Camino I will cherish for ever, the way is the French way 100% , that is where the Camino magic is, I wouldn't advise it in July, August but don't let anyone put you off the French way, especially someone who has not done it but likes quieter Camino's because they don't like crowds ! ( how many times ive heard that !!! From people who have never even walked the FW)
    The French way is where the magic is at, we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day ! Buen Camino xx

jayree, owms2323, natefaith and 6 others like this.
  2. Robo

Robo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF SJPdP to SdC
    (May 2015)
    Alone.
    ------------------------------
    CF Sarria to SdC
    (May 2016)
    with my wife Pat.
    CF SJPDP-SdC
    (Apr/May 2018)
    together again :-)
    So why didn't you like the Camino Sanabres? You don't say...

Mike Savage likes this.
  3. Tincatinker

Tincatinker Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2012); Muxia / Fisterra (2012); Ingles / Fisterra (2013) Del Salvador / Primitivo (2014)
    Its all in the unsaid I guess. No crowds, no infrastructure, no party, no road. And no disrespect @scubajunky. Some of the old routes, the obscure routes, those 'ways less travelled' - well they're cool for the introverts and the obscurantists, the fanatics and the 'nights without dinner but under the stars' ists and are why some of us wander and wonder. But there have been times when I've wondered why I wasn't on the beach and I have no answer to that particular question.

Well ok I do have a sort of, prosaic, answer. For me, not the OP, but for me, if it isn't my road it isn't my road. I don't like SPAM, which for a fully paid up member of the post WW2 Brit baby-boomer generation is anathema but I can take it.

@scubajunky see you on the way some day - now there's a song ;)

4. Robo

Robo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF SJPdP to SdC
    (May 2015)
    Alone.
    CF Sarria to SdC
    (May 2016)
    with my wife Pat.
    CF SJPDP-SdC
    (Apr/May 2018)
    together again :-)
    We may never know....... :oops:

5. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    I can hear the crickets ... :rolleyes:

Pity one can't hear them on the Frances anymore.:eek:

6. Coleen Clark

Coleen Clark Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
    Shhhhh everyone!

7. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

This made me giggle -- I will have to think about whether I am an introvert, obscurantist (had to look that up, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obscurantism), or a fanatic, because I definitely do not forego dinner in exchange for being under the stars.

But back to the OP's point. We all know that not even the Camino Francés is for everybody, but the people who are on this forum are likely to be Francés fans. So, it is not surprising to me that many of those who love the Francés would not like the Sanabrés or the Vdlp (even the Norte, look at this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...east-not-until-you-have-read-this-post.37007/), much less the Levante, Olvidado, Sureste, Lana, etc etc. I agree with Robo, though, that it would be really helpful to hear what it was that led you to leave.

Hope you have a good time unwinding on the beach, scubajunky, would love to hear more when you feel like posting. Buen camino, Laurie