• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There I was.....

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
.....thinking my next camino might be a solo one (finally).....then friends suggested we go together. We would be hubby and me and two to four kids and the other couple with their daughter (same age as our youngest).
They want a pretty route.
They think they couldn't do albergues.
They are thinking three weeks (I'd want at least four!!(
We have travelled together before - in NZ and in Cambodia when our youngest were two.
Most importantly my hubby is keen....so it may well happen (and he has six weeks leave up his sleeve)

Now to choose a route.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
.....thinking my next camino might be a solo one (finally).....then friends suggested we go together. We would be hubby and me and two to four kids and the other couple with their daughter (same age as our youngest).

"best laid schemes" and all that! As a confirmed hermit that all sounds like a fair definition of hell to me but thank heavens we are not all the same :) I hope you find ways to meet everyone's hopes and expectations - sounds like a major planning exercise on your hands. Being so much closer to Spain and with few ties at home it is much easier for me to just sneak off on my own. Deepest sympathies ;)

"best laid schemes" and all that! As a confirmed hermit that all sounds like a fair definition of hell to me but thank heavens we are not all the same :) I hope you find ways to meet everyone's hopes and expectations - sounds like a major planning exercise on your hands. Being so much closer to Spain and with few ties at home it is much easier for me to just sneak off on my own. Deepest sympathies ;)

Haha @Bradypus so what you're saying is that we should NOT invite ourselves and all our children to go with you on any Camino ;).

Enjoy, @Kiwi-family ! What route are you guys thinking?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Haha @Bradypus so what you're saying is that we should NOT invite ourselves and all our children to go with you on any Camino ;).

@natefaith By this time next week my wife and I should both be walking. However, I like my solitude so much that I will be walking the Via de la Plata but my wife will be walking the Shikoku temple circuit about 11,000km away in Japan :)

@natefaith By this time next week my wife and I should both be walking. However, I like my solitude so much that I will be walking the Via de la Plata but my wife will be walking the Shikoku temple circuit about 11,000km away in Japan :)

The ideal solution for a marriage of true minds and divergent paths! I wish you a joint and several buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They want a pretty route.
They think they couldn't do albergues.
They are thinking three weeks (I'd want at least four!!(
We have travelled together before - in NZ and in Cambodia when our youngest were two.
Most importantly my hubby is keen....so it may well happen (and he has six weeks leave up his sleeve)

Now to choose a route.....
I would suggest Madrid-Frances-Invierno-Sanabres Combo. Not too hard to plan stages where albergues and other accommodation is in the same village/town. I'm guessing here but I assume your friends haven't walked any Camino so far. This Combo is easy to start as you fly directly to Madrid which is a great place to spend at least two days and deal with jet lag. Also it gives you diverse terrain to Segovia with a climb thrown in at the start, followed with flat Tierra de Campos and Meseta to Astorga (not to mention beautiful Leon and "experience" of Camino Frances from Sahagun to Ponferrada for them) and gradually more hilly but unbelievably beautiful Invierno which connects with Sanabres (again a bit more people) in A Laxe. And of course not so touristy entering to Santiago at the end.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Enjoy, @Kiwi-family ! What route are you guys thinking?

Oh how I'd love to meet @Bradypus en route;-)

@natefaith Absolutely no set plans. To be honest, we think these guys may change their mind if push came to shove....but then again they DID come to Cambodia with us as their very first ever travel overseas, and they have subsequently done some extended travelling, including through India, so they aren't too squeamish.
My initial thought is Salvador/Primitivo as they would love the scenery and Rob (my husband) has not done these routes. But I'm aware the kids and I walked some very long distances through these sections so I need to see if it is possible to keep days around 20km. How dreadful to have to do some Camino research;-)

I'm with Bradypus - sounds like a literal hell on earth!! But, for those entangled in all that joyful stuff - enjoy!!

Oh dear .. can you just imagine ...... where the silence, where the thoughts .. where the keeping a bottle to yourself! ;)
Now this may come as a surprise - even when I walked with husband, four kids, Seriously Extroverted brother-in-law and aged father-in-law, we had long periods of walking in complete silence. And if my journal is anything to go by there was plenty of time for thoughts......and I'm not a drinker - but the ability to share a ten-pack of ice-creams on a hot day is actually an advantage ;-)

Wow, you are one very resilient lady; 6 weeks, 4 adults, 3 - 5 children and hundreds of kilometres. Never mind the 24 hours travelling from NZ to Spain. Respect!!!!!
At the risk of sounding obnoxious....no respect needed. The pleasure will be all mine (even the bit where travel time is actually another ten hours as we take cheap flights ;-) ) No resilience needed - it will be the highlight of my year if it comes off.

off to gronze.com.......

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would stick with the frances it will offer more options and flexability which would suit your diverse group
A start in ronchaville would be easier

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The really good thing about it is the very long plane trip across. If they show signs of misbehaving as early as that at least you can ask them to go and play outside!

Bogong(ducking for cover)

make reservations well in advance for such a large group!
It's all a matter of perspective- our first camino was done with eleven of us (all eight kids and grandpa), last year's with half the kids - and grandpa and uncle and Daddy joined us for three weeks.
We've been mostly spared accommodation woes (except on the Primitivo where there was quite a bed race but I hear new albergues have opened)......but we just might make reservations and try a planned camino for a change. As we will be walking shorter distances than we are accustomed to (at our friends' request), the kids and I will be spending more time each day sketching and painting, and also goi g out of our way to find people to speak Spanish with (and ask if they'll correct our Spanish journal entries)....so even if we want to walk farther we'll have other things to occupy ourselves.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's all a matter of perspective- our first camino was done with eleven of us (all eight kids and grandpa), last year's with half the kids - and grandpa and uncle and Daddy joined us for three weeks.
We've been mostly spared accommodation woes (except on the Primitivo where there was quite a bed race but I hear new albergues have opened)......but we just might make reservations and try a planned camino for a change. As we will be walking shorter distances than we are accustomed to (at our friends' request), the kids and I will be spending more time each day sketching and painting, and also goi g out of our way to find people to speak Spanish with (and ask if they'll correct our Spanish journal entries)....so even if we want to walk farther we'll have other things to occupy ourselves.
Sounds like a wonderful adventure to me. Hope you enjoy every moment of your planning and your walking. Buen Camino, one and all!

As we will be walking shorter distances than we are accustomed to (at our friends' request), the kids and I will be spending more time each day sketching and painting, and also goi g out of our way to find people to speak Spanish with (and ask if they'll correct our Spanish journal entries)....so even if we want to walk farther we'll have other things to occupy ourselves.
And hopefully blogging again? ;)

Sounds like a wonderful adventure to me. Hope you enjoy every moment of your planning and your walking. Buen Camino, one and all!
Your positivity made me smile. Indeed it is a wonderful adventure. I am so accustomed to having all these people round all the time that even though I am an introvert I would be lost without them! I love our camino-ing because it gives me hours every day where the kids are occupied safely and I can be "alone" (or fr enough away from them that I can have my own thoughts). And I do love travelling with them. But for those moments that are challenging we quote Mark Twain, “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”
We always end up in love.

And hopefully blogging again? ;)
Really? I was thinking this might be the first trip I take and don't blog! Maybe I should;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Really? I was thinking this might be the first trip I take and don't blog! Maybe I should;-)
:eek: No?!!
It would be a definite yes please from me.
You can post in Spanish if you like. I’m up for a challenge! Might be the incentive I need to improve my Spanish. But if you do, make sure you post a lot of pictures. :p:p:p

Last edited:
:eek: No?!!
It would be a definite yes please from me.
You can post in Spanish if you like. I’m up for a challenge! Might be the incentive I need to improve my Spanish. But if you do, make sure you post a lot of pictures. :p:p:p
No puedo "postar" en español (look, I'm already making words up!....if I start thinking "publication" = "publicación" I might try "publicar" instead of postar....or I could stick with escribir I suppose, but can you use that for blogging?) Me gusta immediate feedback (would responsa immediata work?...you can see I'm really not up to blogging in Spanish.
Although I must say I am now thinking about it;-)

No puedo "postar" en español (look, I'm already making words up!....if I start thinking "publication" = "publicación" I might try "publicar" instead of postar....or I could stick with escribir I suppose, but can you use that for blogging?) Me gusta immediate feedback (would responsa immediata work?...you can see I'm really not up to blogging in Spanish.
Oh go for it! If it’s like that, there’s a chance I might understand it. :p:p:p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Es valle. Saludos y que le vaya bien

De colores

Bogong

@Bradypus - LOL!!!!!!! You read my mind about the definition of Hell! Funny one..

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back