• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This is the year!

slrivers

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are planning on walking the Camino starting in early September (we are retiring this summer!). I've been reading threads for a few months - this is my first post. Any suggestions for how we should plan budgets? I know it depends a lot on where we stay every night. Right now we plan on staying primarily in albergues. However, since we don't have a time constraint (did I say retirement?) we are open to extending days in towns/villages that "speak" to us. We purchased the Brierley Book and it does go into budgets. What were the unexpected expenses that you've incurred?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, slrivers, and welcome to the Forum with your first post :)

I think the unexpected aspects to a budget will be based on your actual tolerance to how you find alburgue accommodations once you are on your Camino, what you find adequate with your eating choices, and miscellaneous items from unexpected medical care and farmacia purchases, to worn out or inadequate clothing and equipment that you need to replace.

You may find that once you have spent time in alburgues, that you need more privacy for both sleeping and bathroom, along with less exposure to things like body odors and snoring. It is hard to tell what one's tolerance is to continual open dorm style living with shared spaces.

The same can apply to the bargains which one has with pilgrim menu offerings. While they are a bargain and come with plenty of food, they can get boring for some folks who then decide to eat off the menu in restaurants and bars.

Rest days that are unexpected, but needed due to being more fatigued than anticipated, or for recovery for minor injuries and problems, like knee pain, blisters, sprains, etc may require more pressure on your budget. Things like bus rides, taxis, purchasing health items and meds from farmacias, replacing clothing or equipment which becomes worn or is not working well, etc, can all add up.

I budgeted extravagantly. I then used the money that remained in my travel checking account as the basis for saving up for my next trip.

Let me also share a repost which I have made for those just getting started. I really wish you all the very best as you plan for your Camino; this is an exciting time for you :)

Welcome to the Forum :)

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I are planning on walking the Camino starting in early September (we are retiring this summer!). I've been reading threads for a few months - this is my first post. Any suggestions for how we should plan budgets? I know it depends a lot on where we stay every night. Right now we plan on staying primarily in albergues. However, since we don't have a time constraint (did I say retirement?) we are open to extending days in towns/villages that "speak" to us. We purchased the Brierley Book and it does go into budgets. What were the unexpected expenses that you've incurred?

Slrivers:

I do not recall any unexpected expenses. I imagine one could be an injury. Otherwise, everyone's budget is different and based on their/your financials. I believe an individual can easily survive on 30-35 euro's a day. If one chooses to cook their own meals and stay in Albergues it can be done on less. If one stays in private accommodation and hotels more.

So much of the cost equation is based on what you can afford and the accommodations you choose to stay in.

Start slowly and ease your body (feet) into walking a half marathon a day.
Listen to your body (in particular your feet) If you feel a rub, stop and address it.
Pack as little as possible (you will bring too much)
Let the Camino be your guide (try not to plan everything) go with the flow.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the camino forum, @slrivers
You have already received, above, the two most important answers to your question: that what really matters is to remind yourselves why you are walking the camino (@davebugg ), and and that you will be wise to follow the flow of your camino, without too much planning (@jpflavin1 ). The two surprises that I had on my first camino were that I could easily walk much further in a day than I had planned, and so I had much time left over when I arrived in Santiago, and that my daily expenses were lower than I had budgeted for: about 25 euros a day when I first walked in 2015, instead of the 35 euros that I had budgeted for. Now I plan to walk an average of about 20 km a day on my caminos and to spend about 35 euros a day (inflation). I do not regret my initial budgeting of time and money, as I felt safer with a bit of a cushion and did not have any financial emergencies. If you plan on staying in albergues, you may, as a couple, share an occasional double room at a reasonable price and with the opportunity for more rest and privacy. I have found that I am always tired enough at he end of a day's walk to sleep well, with the addition of good earplugs for the noise and an eyemask to screen out light if I go to bed before the albergue lights are out. For unexpected emergency expenses, keep adequate reserves in your bank to cover whatever may arise. Buen camino.

Peg and I retired and walked the CF in 2015 taking 48 walking days and another
10 days staying in place. Mostly we stayed in private albergues but maybe 25% of the time we stayed in hotels or private rooms. Light breakfasts, sandwiches for lunch and pilgrim dinners. From our ATM withdrawals it looks like we spent 70 euros per day for the both of us. From other threads I've read it appears that this is pretty much what others with similar trips spent.

Unexpected was some medical issues. Try to pay before leaving the clinic or you will be billed at home and it could a real pain to pay from there. Peg had two visits. Estimate 100 euros per visit.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, slrivers, and welcome to the Forum with your first post :)

I think the unexpected aspects to a budget will be based on your actual tolerance to how you find alburgue accommodations once you are on your Camino, what you find adequate with your eating choices, and miscellaneous items from unexpected medical care and farmacia purchases, to worn out or inadequate clothing and equipment that you need to replace.

You may find that once you have spent time in alburgues, that you need more privacy for both sleeping and bathroom, along with less exposure to things like body odors and snoring. It is hard to tell what one's tolerance is to continual open dorm style living with shared spaces.

The same can apply to the bargains which one has with pilgrim menu offerings. While they are a bargain and come with plenty of food, they can get boring for some folks who then decide to eat off the menu in restaurants and bars.

Rest days that are unexpected, but needed due to being more fatigued than anticipated, or for recovery for minor injuries and problems, like knee pain, blisters, sprains, etc may require more pressure on your budget. Things like bus rides, taxis, purchasing health items and meds from farmacias, replacing clothing or equipment which becomes worn or is not working well, etc, can all add up.

I budgeted extravagantly. I then used the money that remained in my travel checking account as the basis for saving up for my next trip.

Let me also share a repost which I have made for those just getting started. I really wish you all the very best as you plan for your Camino; this is an exciting time for you :)

Welcome to the Forum :)

American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) has a nice FAQs about a pilgrimage on a Camino which may give you some additional help.

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
Thank you so much for the wonderful and helpful response!

I would say after 4 caminos and 4,000k of walking you see people who walk on 20 to 25 (even less for some) Euros a day to my friend Peter who probably spent 100-200 a day. You can stay in municipal Albergues and Donativos cook cook your dinner and make your lunch or go the other way or somewhere in between. Unless you really must be on a budget like me, my advice is this/
RELAX if you can. The first time is tough to get ready for. It is fun to plan but I would do this. Have your app or hook with some maps and Albergue/pension listings and get to SJPP check into your Albergue get a lower bunk and go directly to the first garbage can and throw all your planning papers and what you hope may happen in the garbage.
Get up the next day and walk and just listen to your body and take it one step at a time. Because that’s all you got my friend! The Camino and life will do the rest.
Oh yea, keep your ears clean so all the crap that your brain spent a lifetime of accumulating has a chance to drip out. That will take awhile but then the good stuff really starts happening!

Your response made me smile.......I guess that's one of the great gifts of walking the camino -learning to let go and have trust/faith in the process.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys,

Congratulations on the impending retirement and the impending Camino as well.

In terms of unexpected costs - I found it hard to pass by a coffee shop, and especially towards the end of the Frances had three or four a day. Throw in a piece of cake or a biscuit, and that probably cost me more each day than the menu del dia with the three courses at the end of the day. Plan ahead and you don't have the cost, but for me the camino was a much cheaper holiday than I normally experience anyway.

I walked from Leon to SDC with my father, and one thing you may want to look for is the private rooms in hostels or even the rooms in small places known as pensiones. We generally used private albergues at around 7-10EUR each, but often we found twin rooms for 20-30EUR, so tended to use those when the option arose. Some places it simply wasn't available though.

Best of luck.

Thanks Rhun. That's good to know about the twin rooms. One of our favorite things to do when traveling is spending time in coffee shops or little pubs/taverns and enjoying the sights and the sounds and the culture.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back