• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts, Prayers, Looking Ahead

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I am staying off of all of the information threads to our missing pilgrim, as I don't want to muddy the waters and detract from one bit of evidence or focus, and I think that's what most of our forum members are doing right now (to their credit: I mean they are not detracting!).

I wanted to just note that I have been praying nonstop for several days---and while I'm not Catholic, have called on St. Anthony, who helps find missing people and items, I've been told. I wanted to get a post out there if anyone wants to share prayers or feelings of worry or concern, or of hope. It's just helpful to do that sometime, isn't it?

Looking for answers, and wishing all of you well. I am so appreciative to NateFaith, Kinkyone, Angela, Wayfarer, Grayland, and all moderators who are working hard to take care of our online presence, and of course, Ivar, who has provided so much assistance.

Still praying, and looking ahead for a resolution.

Best wishes to all pilgrims, and in the spirit of "looking ahead," I've booked my first night on Camino Frances at Orrison ----night of 1 October. Perchance I will meet one or more of you!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This could be a thread JUST for thoughts and prayers----NOT information to assist in the search. Just putting that out there, as it seems some people are looking for that 'place'.

Thanks for this Deb...there's a remarkable effort happening right now, in good part based of what everyone has done here in the last days (BRAVO, everyone...I ditto the thanks). Prayers can only support that.
It's hit me hard too...that group photo in Santiago is filled with my Camino family, and my path would have crossed Denise's someplace. But not having any new information after going through all my photos and emailing people I was walking with...the prayers allay the incredible feeling of helplessness. Wish I could help but I can't. So...I keep praying. Without any useful leads, it's the best thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a woman who has walked on my own I have felt great kinship with Denise. My thoughts and prayers keep turning to her and her family. Last night I took out my guide and placed my hand over the page showing Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga and prayed for them all, and it came into my head the words in the bible that says" not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father in heaven knowing and you are of more value than many sparrows. I just asked the Father of us all to care for Denise and all her family.

I am staying off of all of the information threads to our missing pilgrim, as I don't want to muddy the waters and detract from one bit of evidence or focus, and I think that's what most of our forum members are doing right now.

I wanted to just note that I have been praying nonstop for several days---and while I'm not Catholic, have called on St. Anthony, who helps find missing people and items, I've been told. I wanted to get a post out there if anyone wants to share prayers or feelings of worry or concern, or of hope. It's just helpful to do that sometime, isn't it?

Looking for answers, and wishing all of you well. I am so appreciative to NateFaith, Kinkyone, Angela, Wayfarer, Grayland, and all moderators who are working hard to take care of our online presence, and of course, Ivar, who has provided so much assistance.

Best wishes to all pilgrims, and in the spirit of "looking ahead," I've booked my first night on Camino Frances at Orrison ----night of 1 October. Perchance I will meet one or more of you!

You couldn't have put this any better, thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a woman who has walked on my own I have felt great kinship with Denise. My thoughts and prayers keep turning to her and her family. Last night I took out my guide and placed my hand over the page showing Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga and prayed for them all, and it came into my head the words in the bible that says" not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father in heaven knowing and you are of more value than many sparrows. I just asked the Father of us all to care for Denise and all her family.
Amen and Amen... I will stand with you on that... "one can put a 1000 to flight, two can send the legions fleeing!" The new Testament says "where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there in the midst". There is power in shared prayer. I had posted on the original thread that I have whole world wide prayer groups now alerted and praying. We will continue to believe for her safe return and peace during the wait.

Thanks Patti. Wonderful.
And Faith...you are the one who has such a great job in being the nexus and pulling all of us together.
Gratitude to all.

Little sparrow....very nice allusion and reference there, Lydia.

Honestly, I have had to exercise some strong discipline and faith. I have talked with friends and family about Denise's disappearance, and I've had to closely consider my own journey on the Camino. I have had to remind myself of the great need for patience, as the police do their jobs. I've felt appreciative time and again with our forum members, who have shown such deep concern and willingness to help. The best help, of course, is prayer and support for Cedric and the family.

I sincerely appreciate the support of all. It's been a rough time for many of us who consider this forum and pilgrims on it somewhat of a surrogate family.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Denise has been on my mind since the day we found out she was missing. Today was an exceptionally difficult day. I have had an aching heart all day long for this situation to be resolved. I don't know her. I didn't walk with her. But somehow...as August said...we are family here...and I just want this sister of ours to be safe and to come home. Continuing to lift her up to God...praying for Angels to camp round about her .

Denise has been on my mind since the day we found out she was missing. Today was an exceptionally difficult day. I have had an aching heart all day long for this situation to be resolved. I don't know her. I didn't walk with her. But somehow...as August said...we are family here...and I just want this sister of ours to be safe and to come home. Continuing to lift her up to God...praying for Angels to camp round about her .

Patti: It was an exceptionally hard day for me too. I felt upset and focused all day on her return. I am hoping that no stone is being left unturned. The leads that many suggested all raise questions, and I am so glad that many people are in Spain now working hard to find her. Having Faith there to support Cedric and his family is very comforting to me, and the publicity is phenomenal. Spain and Portugal newspapers are carrying information to the masses, and no matter what has happened with that sweet woman, I am confident that all that can be done is happening. We have to focus on boots, or convertible pants, or backpacks, or sleeping bags. And also on praying for the situation to resolve soon, definitely for the family's sake. I am more resolute than ever to walk the Camino Frances, to be honest.

The funny thing is, so am I. I cannot for the life of me figure out what may have happened...but it has not dampened my determination to walk solo. I know that in the end all things are made known. I am glad you are still going. That in itself gives me hope. Huge hugs today ...I am praying it is blessed

I feel the same way. I also keep in mind, that no everyone who is lost wants to be found. So I keep positive and pray, that she is well and happy, wherever that is. Light and Love.

this is from the the Denise thread. found several others stating robbed by men with knives too.
Hello. My name is Josie and I'm from Germany.
In September 2014 I walked the Camino and a friend from Canada told me about your search because I might help you. On the road between Astorga and El Ganso my guide has an alternative route appears to me, that runs over Castrillo de los Polvozares. This route I went alone and ran off with a "fake" arrow from the path. On the wrong path, a masked man attacked me with a stun gun. However, I was able to free myself and run away.
After the incident, I called the police in the next town. I gave up a complaint with the police in Astorga and was with the police on the spot where the attack happened. I want to make thee no fear and hope you'll find your sister soon, but perhaps the report could help you in your search. If you have any further questions, I offer my help. best wishes
HUGE BIG HUGS. It is so awful that you have had to deal with this. I'm very glad you got away and very proud of you for reporting it AND impressed that you will indeed walk again...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am staying off of all of the information threads to our missing pilgrim, as I don't want to muddy the waters and detract from one bit of evidence or focus, and I think that's what most of our forum members are doing right now (to their credit: I mean they are not detracting!).

Please don't use the thread that Cedric and others are using (for finding Denise). Even a negative comment on that thread could be disturbing at this time. If you feel like you need to vent, pray, comment, perhaps this can continue to be "that thread". Again, let's respect the family and stay off the other thread unless we have information to pass on to find Ms. Thiem. Speculation is not information: there are plenty of police following leads.

Thanks for starting this thread, Deb. Like many others, Denise and Cedric have been very much in my thoughts and prayers, and I have entered her into the book of prayer petitions at my parish and at another nearby church. I have been following the search for Denise since Cedric first posted, sadly reading as the initial reassurances turned to genuine concern, and now a widely publicized police search. May she be located soon, safe and in good health. God be with her, and let's all continue to pray.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for starting this thread, Deb. Like many others, Denise and Cedric have been very much in my thoughts and prayers, and I have entered her into the book of prayer petitions at my parish and at another nearby church. I have been following the search for Denise since Cedric first posted, sadly reading as the initial reassurances turned to genuine concern, and now a widely publicized police search. May she be located soon, safe and in good health. God be with her, and let's all continue to pray.

Bala--of course. I mostly wanted to give all of us the chance to just say something. The other thread is too "emergency line" at this time, and while this forum is primarily social and informational, the very nature of the issue really demands that we leave the work to the authorities, and respect Cedric and the family....I really fear that every time that someone posts, there is excitement that there could be news, and it's just such a downer to go on there and see an already mentioned speculation, or a criticism, or a personal comment unrelated.

But that said too, we forum members are so worried, and need to be able to mention that---and talk about prayer chains, and all the things we want to do that give us a spiritual connection and direct our prayers.

At this point, I am really praying that she be found soon.

Much love and heartfelt well wishes to you, Bala.

Thank you all so much for having softness in your hearts, this is a perfect example of what comes from the Camino.
I pray Ivar never loses the strength to continue as he provides a true service to us all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was scheduled to walk in June 2015, but I am going to put it off a year and find a walking buddy for my delayed trip in 2016. I don't think I can shake the taser and other issues that are being talked about right now. I don't think it matters if I am a solo female, a few men have also mentioned issues they had.

I am keeping positive thoughts for Denise and will be very happy when she is located. Many encouraging thoughts towards her loving brother, keep the faith.
Hi Ledean, I understand. I too was shocked when read about a woman been attacked with a stun gun, I haven't cancelled my flight but been honest I do feel I need to re focus my thinking to get back to the place where I was counting down the days and was so excited. 4 weeks tomorrow I will be in St Jean , I am only walking for a week but I hope I will never be far from others on the path and that I will feel safe and my instinct will serve me well

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ladies please do not let fear keep you from the Camino. You will find that 99.9% of all the people you meet are wonderful. Most simply walk with those they meet in the beginning & they become your family. You will never be alone unless you chose to be. If you meet someone that makes you feel uncomfortable simply tell other pilgrims & as a group can make the person move on. Never be afraid to share your concerns.
Also keep in mind the Spanish police has cars you will see even in the most remote places never be afraid to stop them. They are very good.

I found that most everyone is alone in one way or another but that is what binds us together, most everyone watches out & helps each other. This is an experience you do not want fear to stop you. Most folks are called to this, I can't explain it any further, just is.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.