• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about booking accommodations ahead of time

zydronika

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023
Camino Frances
Hello All -
I found this message board a few days ago and I am earnestly reading through the posts. I will be walking the Camino Frances starting in St Jean on July 5 with my son (18 y.o.) I know that July is a probably the busiest month but many guidebooks say that there are always enough places to stay along the way. I have read a few posts here claiming that it has been a busy season so far and that albergues/rooms fill up fast. I am hesitant to book ahead because I am worried we may not get as far as I think each day. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be walking the Camino Frances starting in St Jean on July 5 with my son (18 y.o.) I know that July is a probably the busiest month
Like many other people walking the Frances from St Jean you haven't really cottoned on to this Camino being 800 klms long and how that affects busyness.

Aside from the Winter months July would be one of the least busy months to start walking from St. Jean.

You and your son will not have any problems finding accommodation without reservations for at least 700 klms unless you are really unlucky and strike a rare large group of pilgrims walking together, strike a big touristy city on a weekend or the town or city is celebrating a Fiesta.

It is only in the last 100 klms that you might have any issues but by then you and your son will be experts at finding accommodation and so even that last 100 klms won't be anything to worry about.

Welcome to the forum. You will hear generalized statements about the Camino that might be true, but there are more important details that you should consider. You have heard that July and August are the busiest months on the Camino Frances. However, that is true ONLY for the last 100 km from Sarria and Santiago. If you are starting in St. Jean in July, you should have no trouble finding accomodation without advanced reservations, until you get close to Sarria. (May and September are the busiest months for people starting at SJPP.)

IMPORTANT EXCEPTION: If you arrive in a popular city on a holiday weekend, you will have trouble anywhere in Spain in any month. It looks like you will be walking through Pamplona during San Fermin. You need to plan for this! Search for "pamplona san fermin" in the Search box.

If you want to stay in Orisson or Borda overnight before walking to Roncesvalles, you should book that in advance because there are very few beds. Otherwise, you should have no difficulty until Sarria. By that time you will have met people and become accustomed to life on the Camino, and you will know better what distances you prefer.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the forum :)

You must be so excited! Don't worry about the accommodation problem. July is a good month to walk for those who like to "wing it".

In my experience, when starting in summer (I walked june/july/august three times now, mostly using municipal/parroquial albergues that can't be booked), it is usually easy to find accommodation as long as you don't arrive very late at a place with only few beds. And even then you'll probably find a bed most of the time, worst case you have to ask at another albergue or walk a few kms further to the next town. A friend of mine once walked into an albergue at 9pm after a 60km day and got a bed no problem. I got a bed in Santiago at 9:45pm in the first albergue I tried, and generally often checked in later in the afternoon or early evening, and still got a bed.

Three exceptions:

- Orisson/Borda (only few beds and long distance to the next albergue in Roncesvalles. As an alternative you could walk via Valcarlos which is also a beautiful walk and will be very quiet, with a nice municipal albergue at half way point in Valcarlos, which should be quite empty in summer)
- Pamplona area during San Fermines (starts 6th of july this year, so you'll walk right into it. Total madness in the city)
- Galicia (from ~ O Cebreiro onwards it gets very busy, including school classes walking ect.).

Regarding Pamplona during San Fermines, I would probably stay before/after Pamplona and walk right through. You might want to book, or you'd need to arrive very (!) early in one of the albergues that are for pilgrims only and can't be booked (for example Zabaldika albergue parroquial before Pamplona). On the last 100km it will be busy but there's lots of accommodation, so not as difficult to find a bed as one might assume.

I'd always start in july again without making reservations before. Just have a good plan for Pamplona and the last 100km

Happy planning and buen Camino!

Like many other people walking the Frances from St Jean you haven't really cottoned on to this Camino being 800 klms long and how that affects busyness.

Aside from the Winter months July would be one of the least busy months to start walking from St. Jean.

You and your son will not have any problems finding accommodation without reservations for at least 700 klms unless you are really unlucky and strike a rare large group of pilgrims walking together, strike a big touristy city on a weekend or the town or city is celebrating a Fiesta.

It is only in the last 100 klms that you might have any issues but by then you and your son will be experts at finding accommodation and so even that last 100 klms won't be anything to worry about.
Thanks so much for response! I guess July is hot and therefore less popular.

Welcome to the forum :)

You must be so excited! Don't worry about the accommodation problem. July is a good month to walk for those who like to "wing it".

In my experience, when starting in summer (I walked june/july/august three times now, mostly using municipal/parroquial albergues that can't be booked), it is usually easy to find accommodation as long as you don't arrive very late at a place with only few beds. And even then you'll probably find a bed most of the time, worst case you have to ask at another albergue or walk a few kms further to the next town. A friend of mine once walked into an albergue at 9pm after a 60km day and got a bed no problem. I got a bed in Santiago at 9:45pm in the first albergue I tried, and generally often checked in later in the afternoon or early evening, and still got a bed.

Three exceptions:

- Orisson/Borda (only few beds and long distance to the next albergue in Roncesvalles. As an alternative you could walk via Valcarlos which is also a beautiful walk and will be very quiet, with a nice municipal albergue at half way point in Valcarlos, which should be quite empty in summer)
- Pamplona area during San Fermines (starts 6th of july this year, so you'll walk right into it. Total madness in the city)
- Galicia (from ~ O Cebreiro onwards it gets very busy, including school classes walking ect.).

Regarding Pamplona during San Fermines, I would probably stay before/after Pamplona and walk right through. You might want to book, or you'd need to arrive very (!) early in one of the albergues that are for pilgrims only and can't be booked (for example Zabaldika albergue parroquial before Pamplona). On the last 100km it will be busy but there's lots of accommodation, so not as difficult to find a bed as one might assume.

I'd always start in july again without making reservations before. Just have a good plan for Pamplona and the last 100km

Happy planning and buen Camino!
Thanks for your detailed response with the cities to warch out for. I am glad to read that accommodations won’t be a problem. I guess July’s heat would be a deterrant.

Welcome to the forum. You will hear generalized statements about the Camino that might be true, but there are more important details that you should consider. You have heard that July and August are the busiest months on the Camino Frances. However, that is true ONLY for the last 100 km from Sarria and Santiago. If you are starting in St. Jean in July, you should have no trouble finding accomodation without advanced reservations, until you get close to Sarria. (May and September are the busiest months for people starting at SJPP.)

IMPORTANT EXCEPTION: If you arrive in a popular city on a holiday weekend, you will have trouble anywhere in Spain in any month. It looks like you will be walking through Pamplona during San Fermin. You need to plan for this! Search for "pamplona san fermin" in the Search box.

If you want to stay in Orisson or Borda overnight before walking to Roncesvalles, you should book that in advance because there are very few beds. Otherwise, you should have no difficulty until Sarria. By that time you will have met people and become accustomed to life on the Camino, and you will know better what distances you prefer.
My mind is eased! Thanks for your response.

If you are flexible, it makes finding accommodations much easier.

I remember one church that had mats stored in the vestibule, in the event all other accommodation is town were full. Even Mary and Joseph found a place when the Inn was full!

-Paul

I just got back from the Camino Frances and it was very very busy... Large groups (10 -20 persons) starting from SJPP and others starting from Burgos, Leon, etc... Finding a place to sleep was a challenge. Bed race was a reality... Multiple bookings, large groups with a Van which arrived well in advance of the "hikers" and proceeded with the booking, cycling groups (5 and over) ....Just be aware to deal with alternatives "in-between" stages, private accommodations, taxi and buses to travel to "off the camino" accommodations.
BUEN CAMINO!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are flexible, it makes finding accommodations much easier.

I remember one church that had mats stored in the vestibule, in the event all other accommodation is town were full. Even Mary and Joseph found a place when the Inn was full!

-Paul
Haha, very true! Even a stable would suffice.

I just got back from the Camino Frances and it was very very busy... Large groups (10 -20 persons) starting from SJPP and others starting from Burgos, Leon, etc... Finding a place to sleep was a challenge. Bed race was a reality... Multiple bookings, large groups with a Van which arrived well in advance of the "hikers" and proceeded with the booking, cycling groups (5 and over) ....Just be aware to deal with alternatives "in-between" stages, private accommodations, taxi and buses to travel to "off the camino" accommodations.
BUEN CAMINO!
Thanks for weighing in! Apparently July is one of the least busy months, so I may be in luck. The weather is probably a lot nicer to walk in now, which would explain the congested route.

BUEN CAMINO!

So if you arrived today, you probably started beginning/mid may? That's the busiest time on the Francés from St. Jean (like september).

July is usually much more quiet, can't really compare it to a start in may.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for weighing in! Apparently July is one of the least busy months, so I may be in luck. The weather is probably a lot nicer to walk in now, which would explain the congested route.
The previous poster doesn't realise that numbers ramp down quickly from when they walked. They assume that the way things were when they walked is how they always are. Of course, the more experienced pilgrims know that the numbers change quickly from April and May peaks at St. Jean.

You and your son will have a great time without accommodation problems. @good_old_shoes detailed advice will see you right.

With regards to the Albergue Zabaldika, it was one of my favourites with a shared evening meal and I would recommend it to you. Only a short walk before Pamplona.

The previous post doesn’t realise and should take into account the current trend and the increase in pilgrims of all sorts. It is all about availability of beds / rooms to satisfy the demand.

The previous poster doesn't realise that numbers ramp down quickly from when they walked. They assume that the way things were when they walked is how they always are. Of course, the more experienced pilgrims know that the numbers change quickly from April and May peaks at St. Jean.

You and your son will have a great time without accommodation problems. @good_old_shoes detailed advice will see you right.

With regards to the Albergue Zabaldika, it was one of my favourites with a shared evening meal and I would recommend it to you. Only a short walk before Pamplona.
Thanks! Will definitely mark the spot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
BUEN CAMINO!
It doesn't sound like any of these groups or pilgrims with multiple bookings were staying in the non-reservable municipal and parochial albergues.

The previous post doesn’t realise and should take into account the current trend and the increase in pilgrims of all sorts. It is all about availability of beds / rooms to satisfy the demand.

Do you mean my post?

I've walked last year in july during a holy year. I think my experience is recent enough to be able to give advice.

It might be busier than last year, but july most certainly won't be as busy as may.

Many may pilgrims post about how busy it is, every year. That's true, but it doesn't mean july will be the same. No need for fearmongering. Even if it's more busy this year, it's highly unlikely that july from St. Jean will see the same numbers as in may.

Last edited:
Well, yes. But unless you have the statistics to hand, how will you take them into account?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BUEN CAMINO!
That must have been in May. Not my experience now. I am near Sahagun. Plenty of room in albergues and hostales.

Hello All -
I found this message board a few days ago and I am earnestly reading through the posts. I will be walking the Camino Frances starting in St Jean on July 5 with my son (18 y.o.) I know that July is a probably the busiest month but many guidebooks say that there are always enough places to stay along the way. I have read a few posts here claiming that it has been a busy season so far and that albergues/rooms fill up fast. I am hesitant to book ahead because I am worried we may not get as far as I think each day. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks!
Will you be sending any luggage ahead? I am going to book as I go so I have the freedom to stop when I wish. So much to see and hard to know where that will be...

Hi there- I will not be sending luggage ahead. I was thinking the same for keeping myself flexible, but also don’t want to see places booked up. Glad to read that in July that will most likely not be the case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My 17 yo son and I are just finishing tomorrow, having started June 15 in Astorga. After the first night we either went without reservations or making reservations the night before for the next day when an injury meant sending luggage forward. We never had a single problem and were always able to find what we wanted/needed. Of note, we went through Samos which queued us up to stay mostly off stage after Sarría. That worked very well for us. If we had stayed in the main towns (as friends did) it might have required a little more sleuthing as some of the choice albergues or private rooms filled, but still totally doable.

Hello All -
Thanks!
May your camino begin, continue and end with you and your son in fine fettle!
If all goes to plan, you might be walking from Roncesvalles on 6th. A 'normal' day from there could be to Larrosoaña or Zubiri.
So, on 7th, heading towards Pamplona.
San Fermin is just at the beginning, and the city will be rather busy...
As others have said, best to stop before or after Pamplona.
What are your options?
8km before, Zabaldika. Donativo, 18 beds, cannot reserve. Dinner and breakfast.
5km before, Trinidad de Arre, low cost, around 45 beds, they have a facebook page, perhaps you can reserve. There is at least one other albergue in Villava, which is two centimetres beyond the Trinidad de Arre boundary!
5km after, Cizur Menor. Low cost, I do not think you can reserve but I could be wrong. Then you have Zariquiegi on the way up to el Alto de Perdon, or Uterga where there are two, one of which serves food for sure.
I think that should help you work out something. I was just doing precisely that this morning with a young pilgrim who stayed here last night in Zabaldika, having walked 34km yesterday from Roncesvalles - many pilgrims now do this stage. She knows she has to pace herself better and will stop today in Cizur Menor, and tomorrow in Puente la Reina, taking a left at Muruzabal to visit the octagonal church of Our Lady of Eunate shortly before Puente La Reina.
wishing you both buen camino.

a ps: the hospitaleros here walked to Larroasaña for their exercise yesterday, counting 120 pilgrims. Of those, 33 climbed to visit Zabaldika church - the sisters keep a record of numbers and nationality, no other identity details.
That number is fairly normal in my experience here, which is pretty well annual for two weeks as I help out with the church welcome.

Personally, I enjoy spending time in Pamplona. If I were walking in July, as you are, I would book a private room in Pamplona and enjoy the culture. Especially if you have never been there before. It is misleading when someone says to stay before Pamplona as it is a pretty good trek to get to city center and then to walk all the way through the city. Buen Camino!

I second the recommendation to stay in Zabaldika, it was one of the highlights of my Camino Frances. It will also give you a good feeling for Donativo and shared dinner albergues.

Being very close to Pamplona it also means that you can spend a day exploring Pamplona and then walk on without using a whole day and night in Pamplona.

If course if you want extra time in Pamplona then by all means take that time. Just watch out for the Running of the Bulls as it is on shortly and Pamplona turns into a party town with expensive accommodation and some albergues close over this time.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back