• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three-wheeled cart

Angelita

Has anybody had experience with using a three-wheel cart for carrying their belongings along the camino? I am talking about a cart like a child's push cart with very large, almost bicycle-sized wheels. We will be carrying very little, but my husband has a poor back for carrying things. Otherwise we are very fit walkers, early sixties.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am in my 60's--though not early!--I walked from SJPP to Santiago so age is certainly not a determining factor. As far as using a cart, it depends on where you are planning to start. There are some sections of the Camino that would be very difficult to manage dragging a cart behind you. Cyclist maps might help you with taking roadway in those situations. Though I saw some cyclists struggling with rocky path so not sure that there are always road alternatives.

Have you considered a pack carrying service so you would only have to carry a daypack for water, snacks, etc.? That would eliminate the problems associated with a cart.

Hi we are starting our Camino Ingles in July, and we are going to use an All Terrain push chair with spare inner tubes. For the same reasons that you say, we cannot carry our kit! We are 55 and 60 so we have to be practical. We have trialled ours in the New Forest on all surfaces, over tree roots and on really rough shale its seems fine. You will need to research brands but we got on Ebay for about £50 its a Boogie 2.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Portia. We are starting in Roncesvalles. We have maps so will look for roads. We would rather not spend the money for pack carrying service, nor be stuck with their schedule rather than our own pace.
Thanks tincress for that information...we saw an article about a man who walked around the world with a 3 wheeled stroller/cart. We will google your Boogie 2. Buen Camino to you both. We plan for Sept. & October 2011.

I recall a few places where due to either a narrow path or one that is under water or very muddy that pulling a cart would be very difficult. That said, however, I did see people doing it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met a couple in their late 60's a few years ago - the year 6 or 7 I think - just outside Carrion de Los Condes, on that Roman road. They had a two wheeled cart, inflated tyred wheels a little smaller than a bicycle, maybe 24 inch. The body was aluminium and there were two arms that fed forwards, very similar to a dog trap or donkey cart - but smaller - the chap just hefted it and held onto each pole to pull, although there was a hip harness available (he said he never used it). They were a German and English couple and lived near the Ruhr. Had walked from home and were having a wonderful time. They told me that they had been walking all the different routes for years. They were talking of thousands of miles with their trailer in all weathers and over all terrains.

I had seen them camped by one of the defunct water pumps on that long straight stretch when I drove by in the evening and they caught up with me the next day and stopped for tea. (Amazing stretch actually, walking along a genuine and still extant Roman road ... extraordinary!).

They were so lovely that I wanted to take them home with me. So jolly, so calm, so life-positive, so loving to each other. Deep respect. The amazing thing to me was the large amount that was on the trailer that they seemed to have no problem taking with them. A fairly large tent, full cooking facilities, water, food, all bedding, clothes, and just about every 'necessary' extra you could think off. They never stayed in refuges, except just every now and again to launder and full shower. They would just get to a spot that seemed pleasant and set up camp. They cleared camp each day, taking all litter with them, and walked in a very relaxed manner - no rushing at all, utterly content.

I asked them about weight and terrain and tiredness and so on but they were completely unfazed. Mrs couple walked unburdened - she was older and frailer (they weren't actually frail, strong and hearty, but of the two she was the frailer).
I asked for permission to try it out and it was so easy. The body when pulling feels free and the load seemed easy. They said that they loaded to put weight a little to the rear so that when you brought the poles down to pull it had a lightness to it. When I tried it I had to agree - but, this was on level ground, and I did think then that you can't beat the laws of physics.
If you are carrying a weight in an ascent of 1000 metres, you carry the same weight whether you carry it or pull it or cycle it - the energy expenditure is the same. Also, I don't know if I could have put up with having both my arms and hands constantly pulling a trailer - I think I may have preferred to be harnessed in to it so that my arms were free - but they were the experienced ones, not me.

So, in answer to your question - their experience, and this my anecdote says - go for it!!!

p.s. You can buy this stuff in the uk called Green Slime. You put it into your inner tubes and it seals punctures before they happen - or something like that.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.