• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing from Madrid to st. Jean

Liz Ward

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino from St Jean to Santiage in Sept. 2016. Will meet my husband in Astorga and he will walk the last part with me.
I will be flying into Madrid at 7:30 am on Sept. 13. My plan is to take the train to Pamplona then a bus to St Jean (unless I meet some pilgrims on the train who want to share a cab.) Is it realistic to think I can get to SJP in one day and begin walking on Sept. 14. The only reason I'm asking is because I would like to make reservations for the first two nights. One in SJP and one in Orisson.
Thank you for any info you can provide.
Liz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be flying into Madrid at 7:30 am on Sept. 13. My plan is to take the train to Pamplona then a bus to St Jean (unless I meet some pilgrims on the train who want to share a cab.) Is it realistic to think I can get to SJP in one day and begin walking on Sept. 14. The only reason I'm asking is because I would like to make reservations for the first two nights. One in SJP and one in Orisson.
Liz
Liz, I'm very curious to learn how you go with this. I have to get from Madrid to SJPDP at the end of March but so far I'm planning on trains: Madrid to Irun (or Gare D'Hendaye), Gare D'Hendaye to Gare De Bayonne, Then Gare De Bayonne to SJPDP. Sounds do-able in one (long) day!?

Would it be better to go Madrid to Pamplona on the train and then bus it as you say? Sounds better. Sounds quicker.

I know you want answers and not questions, sorry. - Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In season it is probably quicker and easier through Pamplona; there is a bus that runs to SJPDP directly. There is a whole section of this forum on "Getting to and from the Camino".

Here is the thread in that section on getting to SJPDP via Pamplona, but you should also look at other threads.

In season it is probably quicker and easier through Pamplona; there is a bus that runs to SJPDP directly. There is a whole section of this forum on "Getting to and from the Camino".

Here is the thread in that section on getting to SJPDP via Pamplona, but you should also look at other threads.
Perfect. Thanks very much. - Mike

Liz

You have 10 hours to get from Madrid airport to Pamplona bus station; it should be possible to get to SJPdP the same day as you arrive in Madrid.

There are usually several trains from Madrid (with most leaving from Puerta de Atocha) to Pamplona daily. If you were to travel tomorrow you could take the train leaving Puerta de Atocha at 1135 and arriving Pamplona 1440 ... It would take about an hour to get from the airport to the train station using Cercanias, the Metro, or the EMT express bus. In Pamplona you would have lots of time to take a short taxi ride from the train station to the bus station. As of 23 March 2016, the last bus to SJPdP leaves Pamplona at 1730.

The Renfe train schedule for September won't be available yet but the schedules don't usually change a lot.

The CONDA (ALSA) bus schedule to SJPdP for summer has usually included more buses than are currently listed. The information for September should be available by end May.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not sure when their season starts, but the folks from pension Corazon Puro will pick you up at the train station in Pamplona (must be before 3pm). You dine with them and overnight. Next morning, lovely breakfast, then they drive you to StJPdP. I found this option to be a wonderful experience at a vey reasonable price. Maybe others here might know their opening date.

I loved Corazon Puro too. István sent photos of exactly where to stand at the bus station in Pamplona and when I came up out of the bus station there he was and greeted me by name!! It was a great way to start my camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have my reservation for Corazon Pura for April 20. They also provided me good information on how to navigate from the Madrid airport to Pamplona -- I'm going to take the bus, which I can pick up in Terminal 4 at the airport. My sources have told me that it's just as fast as the train. Then they will feed and house me and take me to SJPP on April 21.

I have my reservation for Corazon Pura for April 20. They also provided me good information on how to navigate from the Madrid airport to Pamplona -- I'm going to take the bus, which I can pick up in Terminal 4 at the airport. My sources have told me that it's just as fast as the train. Then they will feed and house me and take me to SJPP on April 21.
You will not regret it Prescilla. They are absolutely wonderful hosts and you will likely meet a few others there. When I stayed there this past September, they had a total of 7 of us. There is something so special about sharing a meal with others. And the drive to StJPdP is gorgeous. Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino.

You will not regret it Prescilla. They are absolutely wonderful hosts and you will likely meet a few others there. When I stayed there this past September, they had a total of 7 of us. There is something so special about sharing a meal with others. And the drive to StJPdP is gorgeous. Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino.
Not sure when their season starts, but the folks from pension Corazon Puro will pick you up at the train station in Pamplona (must be before 3pm). You dine with them and overnight. Next morning, lovely breakfast, then they drive you to StJPdP. I found this option to be a wonderful experience at a vey reasonable price. Maybe others here might know their opening date.
Wow thanks so much for that additional information. So if I were to book with Corazon Puro, I need to get to Pamplona by 3:00?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Liz, I'm very curious to learn how you go with this. I have to get from Madrid to SJPDP at the end of March but so far I'm planning on trains: Madrid to Irun (or Gare D'Hendaye), Gare D'Hendaye to Gare De Bayonne, Then Gare De Bayonne to SJPDP. Sounds do-able in one (long) day!?

Would it be better to go Madrid to Pamplona on the train and then bus it as you say? Sounds better. Sounds quicker.

I know you want answers and not questions, sorry. - Mike
Hi Mike,
After reading the info about staying at a pension outside of Pamplona, getting a good meal and bed AND then being driven to SJP the following day, I am thinking that might be the best option. At least I know I can begin the trek somewhat rested.

Wow thanks so much for that additional information. So if I were to book with Corazon Puro, I need to get to Pamplona by 3:00?
Yes, if the train schedule is on time, it normally will arrive Pamplona at 2:30p but as in my case, it didn't arrive until close to3pm. Istvan will provide you with his mobile number closer to your date.

Thanks, MM, I'm getting so excited. You are right, there's nothing like a shared meal, and it will be a great way to meet those who will be starting with me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
5 weeks and a wake up! I'll be in Madrid 5April2016, make my way to SJPDP 6April2016. On the Camino on the 7th or the 8th. I'll see everyone on the Camino, I'll mostly see everyone's back because I'll be slow and everyone will just pass me by, but don't forget to say, Hola...buen Camino. If I just nod, please don't take it personally, it just means I'm gasping for air:(

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back