• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tipping in Portugal

Gil A

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Portugues
2017 Camino Portugues
Last year in Spain a Spaniard told me not to tip. He said that Spaniards do not tip.
Does anyone know if it is the same custom in Portugal?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't tell you about Portugal, but I do think a lot of Spanish waiters would strongly disagree with the information you were given. As a rule of thumb about tipping anywhere in Europe:

For small bar bills (beer/vino/cafe con leche): Round up to the next 50 cents or Euro, i.e. if the cafe con leche is 90 cents, leave an Euro.
For meals ect: Tip 10%, more only if the food and service was exceptionally good.

I have not yet met a Spanish waiter or waitress that would refuse a tip and I am pretty sure the same applies in Portugal.
Buen Camino! SY

I would round up to the next Euro aswell.
Waiters earn wages in Portugal and a 'tip' is considered a note of appreciation, not a means to make up for a tiny salary though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Portugal tipping is usually reserved for showing appreciation for the service and quality of the meal. If it is only standard, there is no expectation of a tip.
It is not uncommon to adjust to nearest euro or half-euro value for small transactions in cafes. As I said, not uncommon, I wouldn't say it is standard.
Fancy places in large cities as Porto and Lisbon may have different expectations, same goes for the Algarve.
Has greg121 said, staff receives a salary for their work, so you have no obligation to tip.

Thank you, that makes it really clear. I know what to do now

Last year in Spain a Spaniard told me not to tip. He said that Spaniards do not tip.
Does anyone know if it is the same custom in Portugal?
True, they (both Portuguese and Spanish) do not tip, or very little, but waiters do accept tips if given. And yes, its a sign of appreciation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tip in France, Spain and Portugal if the service is good, believe me you will not insult anyone for doing so, it will be greatly appreciated especially in Spain and Portugal where the economy is pretty shot.

We never tipped on our trip thru Portugal last year, but Aussies tend not to tip anyone anyway.

Not sure where you come from mate , everyone i know in Australia tips between 5-10% in restaurants unless the person is rude or service crap.
I purchased pubs on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts from Bondie in 86 and 89 and in well known restaurants @ Yandina [ before The Spirit House] and Southport tipping was accepted was plentiful was appreciated and received with thanks.

My daughter went o/seas to London with writer/ chef/restauranteer Christine Manfield many years ago and was very successful .
On return they enjoyed great success in Sydney with the restraurant receiving rave reviews.....It was called Universal.
Believe me the tips per night were 10% plus and shared with ""ALL""" staff , front and back.
All the fittings , furniture and white goods for her apartment were purchased from same, wages untouched.

My wife and i have walked many different paths in France , Spain and Portugal and we have always tipped .
We have even tipped [ rounded to 50c] the old ladies with the not so good coffee and it was a delight to see their appreciation.
It normally got us an offer of grappa but the days were to young for that.

Two years ago in Puenta la Reina was tired when arriving , had the drink , left 30c tip because i was just buggered and wanted a shower.
Returned fresh for pre dinner drinks , sat down at a table in the lane way behind bar and started to write the diary.
I looked up in surprise when a beer was placed in front of me by a barmaid. She just replied Buen Camino and pointed out her boss who by this time was enjoying the company of his village mates.
I got the impression from your photo you did the portuguese by bike. Let me assure you if an accident occurred these same people you never tip would not think twice about driving you 10-20km to a doctor or alberque.

I think you have harmed the reputation of a country which i think is one of the most charitable in the world.
I think you have harmed the reputation of the many Aussies we have accompanied when walking who have been more than generous with their money.
I think you might run in the circles where your attitude is rife but please omit the words Aussies don't tip anyone.

Whilst saying the above ................. **we never tipped in Portugal when they tried to do the bread trick in the cafe's....that comes under crap service.

**We have found in our 60 plus years that more enjoyment is gained by giving than receiving.
Our local fire brigade walked 20km [ Sorrento to Dromana ] the other friday with a wheel barrow seeking donations for the annual Royal Childrens Hospital Appeal.................$13,833.60 .........from walking along the broad walk with a burrow.

Last edited:
Also a nice way to practice your Spanish,"Asi esta bien", when they bring your change.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back