• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To pole or not to pole that is the question?

roblsch

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Greetings - Is the terrain on the Camino Frances such that i should consider using what seems to be a very popular piece of equipment - hiking/trekking poles?.......and which model/brand would you recommend?.......and how big is the learning curve in mastering them? Age and ability are a subjective thing but i am in my mid 60's, walked and/or hiked many 1000's kms but have never used the assistance of poles or walking stick. However, if i can be saved some physical grief along the way.......

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trekking poles, definately! You will be walking many miles for many days. The use of poles provides extra stability for your knees. When you use them, you'll wonder why it took you so long get a set.

Last edited:
G'day - I'm 65 and slowly preparing for my first official camino (Camino Frances) Spring 2016. I have hiked most of my adult life without the aid of a walking stick or poles and they would probably feel very foreign in my hands now. Almost without exception every pilgrim photo i've seen has this ever present walking aid somewhere in it. Is the terrain on the Camino Frances such that i should consider using what seems to be a very popular piece of equipment? Cheers!
You are in for such a treat! Welcome! Poles are definitely a personal choice, but I was soooooo grateful that my daughter bought me mine. It was more important than I ever thought it would be! Especially trekking uphill!
iBuen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I did not have my Pacer Poles with me my Camimo would have been over part way up to Orrison. My vote is definitely poles and I would recommend Pacer Poles ... they are different from the rest and worth it but where they REALLY shine is on the downhills ... your knees will thank you ... and so will your hips and back I pretty much guarantee it!

The added bonus is trekking poles help you burn up to 30% more calories by utilizing your upper body more ... I'd prolly say maybe half that but anything is a bonus in that direction ... for me anyway ;)

BTW for what it's worth I am only 57 but not terribly fit (altho I did walk every day leading up to the camino at least 6km but often more) and overweight by more than a little (250lbs) so when I say I would not have made it to Orrison without them I am not exaggerating and while I made it I have to confess it was probably the toughest thing I have ever done ... but I did it :)

Thank you - I will check to see if they are available in Canada - are they telescopic?

Pacer poles can be ordered online at pacerpoles.com and yes they are telescopic ... (3 sections ... which can be replaced independently if needed) They aren't sold in stores. They are comparable in price to the nordic style poles sold in stores BUT they are far superior. There is no learning curve, the angled handle is ergonomically designed and pretty much becomes an extension of your arm without even trying. My poles came from the UK to the west coast of Canada in less than a week from ordering and came with free shipping and the Pacer Pole folks offer excellent customer service. There are many videos demonstrating the design and use of their poles on their website. I chose the aluminum over the carbon fiber because even tho they are slightly heavier ( not an issue as long as you are using them and not carrying them in your pack) they can be mended in an emergency if you accidentally bend a pole (not likely to happen by the way) whereas the carbon fiber snap if they fail (probably also not something to worry overmuch about) You'll find Pacer Poles are very popular on this forum and there is a good reason for that :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Trekking poles are telescoping in sections. The sections are lockable via a cam mechanism and are therefore adjustable for your particular size. I use an old pair of Black Diamond aluminum with Flick Locs. If I was looking now, I'd get carbon fiber because they are lighter...even though the aluminum is light too. It's very important to hold the pole when you buy it so you can get a feel for the various grips. Do a youtube to see how to hold and use them. It's not difficult at all, but, neither is tying a shoe unless no one has shown you how. Trekking poles adjust so you can adjust them for up hill and down hill. They are very different than a walking staff, so don't confuse the two. I have found that with trekking poles I have very minimal knee pain, if at all, and can go much farther/and faster.

I am 70. I completed 3 Caminos this year.

When looking at walking sticks, I suggest you take a look at PacerPoles. This year I walked the Camino Francés from Roncevalles, the Portuguese from Tuí, and the Inglés from Ferrol, and I loved my PacerPoles.

I do not think I would have completed the Caminos without them, because I had several long stretches with a problem with my left leg. Others in my family have also used them with similarly positive experiences. I tried them after reading a lengthy thread asking something like "Does anyone NOT like PacerPoles?" They are made in the UK, and there is a 30 day trial period. Learning to use them is relatively easy. The instructions and the videos are reasonably straight-forward. With their special, angled grips for the left and right hands it is difficult to use them improperly.

You are in for such a treat! Welcome! Poles are definitely a personal choice, but I was soooooo grateful that my daughter bought me mine. It was more important than I ever thought it would be! Especially trekking uphill!
iBuen Camino!

And I think they are even more important to have when going downhill. I bought some Black Diamond poles on sale and used them for the first time just three hikes ago. Wow, what a difference. I have a very damaged knee from my university basketball days. I had no idea how much more comfortable I would be with them. And easy to carry in the pack if not needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you - I'm very familiar with the knee thing (too many times playing hockey on frozen outdoor ponds in days long gone) - I never realized but yes i guess going downhill would be harder on the knees - Cheers
Definitely get some poles. The choice of type however is worth a PhD dissertation! Walking sure is an accessory sport. Trekking poles and Pacer poles are two different beasts with two different techniques. Just as well you have some time before your Camino. My suggestion would be to go to a good outdoor store and discuss your needs and then try out several different types. The main criteria, whichever you choose, is that you learn to use them properly. Here are a couple of links to some good information on both types: Trekking Poles and Pacer Poles. There are many more useful websites but this will give you an good initial overview.

Another benefit of trekking poles is that you can carry an injury if required - NOT a recommended course of action but an aid if necessary.

Enjoy your pole quest.

Can pacer poles be carried on plane?
It is the same risk as any poles. Ski poles are prohibited, but the TSA regulations on trekking poles are silent, and they ignore specific questions about them. It will be up to the discretion of the agent on the day you travel. Pacer Poles can be disassembled into their three sections. It makes them short enough to fit in almost any pack, and the scattered pieces look a lot less like a potential weapon. It is safest to check them. :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
G'day - I'm 65 and slowly preparing for my first official camino (Camino Frances) Spring 2016. I have hiked most of my adult life without the aid of a walking stick or poles and they would probably feel very foreign in my hands now. Almost without exception every pilgrim photo i've seen has this ever present walking aid somewhere in it. Is the terrain on the Camino Frances such that i should consider using what seems to be a very popular piece of equipment? Cheers!

Roblsch:

I have walked five Camino's and never used them. That said, "poles or no poles" it is a personal preference.

If you are not used to them, there is a good chance you will walk off without them some morning. There are good as a stabilizing device when going down slippery slopes. They can be a hassle to travel with. If you check them they could be lost in baggage. If you try to carry on, they could be confiscated. You could purchase upon arrival. They are said to be helpful for people with bad knees. I would not purchase them to burn extra calories. The Camino will burn enough.:)

So many choices.

Ultreya,
Joe

I'm also a huge fan of trekking sticks although on flat level terrain, I usually just carry them. They are invaluable for hills, IMHO.

One tip about getting them to your destination if you are not checking in your backpack on the plane - put the poles along with any pen knife and liquids in a mailing tube and check that through. You can either get another tube in Santiago for the return trip or use a sturdier tube (mine is a PVC drainpipe section with end caps) and send it to your ending destination or store it at a place you plan to return to.

Another tip - use remove able rubber tips one the end of the sticks and maybe carry a couple of replacements. Take off the tips when the trail is muddy or snow covered.

I'm a Polecat! ha ha! They seriously help. I always scoffed at them, but they have saved my knees and back on downhills. I completely recommend them.

(polecat means skunk)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Trekking pleas make a huge difference, especially when going downhill. One big tip, shorten the poles when going steeply uphill and lengthen them when going steeply downhill. I use my poles like shock absorbers when going downhill, planting a pole in front of me just before the opposite foot strikes ground. This technique requires proper use of the strap, placing your hand into it from the bottom, so that the strap supports your wrist. This method saves lots of wear and tear on the knees.

YES. To pole!

People who say they never used poles don't know what they miss.

I have telescopic 3 section carbon fibre poles, with cork handles, made in China, cheap. They survived handling that aluminium wouldn't. Without them I would still be somewhere in Pyrenees crying. In a few days I got so accustomed to them that there was no chance to walk away without them, rather I had to remind myself that they shouldn't be used everywhere (albergues, churches). My walking friends and I tied our poles together when had to leave them for the night, this way there was less chance that some early starters might mistake ours for theirs.

Hi, I never use poles. I find it not handy to use. But when my wife walked her Camino Frances in 2013, she used 2 poles. The reason that she used them was, she is only 1,59 mtr. tall and than is it handy to use them.
When you are going to use them, do some training how to use them.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been using poles hiking the NH 4000 & 5000 footers. They are invaluable for loose footing especially for downhill. We did the Camino Frances, and I had to schedule a knee replacement (which I have done) upon completion. Without my poles, I never would have made it. I used Black Diamond poles. If you purchase pole, DO NOT get the "twist lock" type, get the poles that have locking levers. While hiking in New Hampshire, one of my twist lock poles gave way and I sustained injuries. I immediately threw them away and purchased the lever locks and never looked back. When you leave Alto del Perdon outside Pamplona, the trail has skree (loose rocks and gravel) common to the White Mountains and New England. We found many with out poles having a great deal of difficulty, while we "breezed" by them. It's all about safety, confidence, and stability. You can use a pole plant and be confident that the poles will not (even on stones) slip and will support you weight and stop you from sliding uncontrollably down the hill. Be sure to practice !

Buen Camino

The reason that she used them was, she is only 1,59 mtr. tall and than is it handy to use them.
Make them the right length and they are handy to use for any height person.

Forgot: no need to bring ruber tip replacements along, they are in any souvenir/pilgrim shop. Ask "kauchuk para batones".

I admit I did not read this thread, so I'm sure I'm going to repeat what others say.
You WILL need poles on the Camino, but only in a few places, imo.
April and May are rainy, and the stretches down into Roncesvalles, and down into Zubiri are slippery as snot when it rains.
The leaves are rotten from last year, and when wet, they are slippery.
In addition, you are walking on slippery rock.
So yes, you will be smart to take at least one pole.
That said, you can buy very inexpensive walking sticks all along the Way.
You can get trekking poles in SJPP at the sporting goods store.
For under €10 you can get a nice wooden walking stick that you can take home with you as a memento. And if you lose it, you can always get another.
I've walked with one pole, two poles, and no poles.
One works just as well as two for me.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My two cents worth re poles: YES and YES!! I was 64 when I did my Camino in Sept./Oct/14 and looking back, really do not think I could have done it without poles. I am thinking of the downhill into Molinaseca among others. Yikes! If you do not have a problem with your knees, that is great, but for the loose gravel and the slippery rock, I believe that the stability it gives you re slippage and just plain balance cannot be denied. Buen Camino to you!

I
G'day - I'm 65 and slowly preparing for my first official camino (Camino Frances) Spring 2016. I have hiked most of my adult life without the aid of a walking stick or poles and they would probably feel very foreign in my hands now. Almost without exception every pilgrim photo i've seen has this ever present walking aid somewhere in it. Is the terrain on the Camino Frances such that i should consider using what seems to be a very popular piece of equipment? Cheers![/QU

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pacer poles can be ordered online at pacerpoles.com and yes they are telescopic ... (3 sections ... which can be replaced independently if needed) They aren't sold in stores. They are comparable in price to the nordic style poles sold in stores BUT they are far superior. There is no learning curve, the angled handle is ergonomically designed and pretty much becomes an extension of your arm without even trying. My poles came from the UK to the west coast of Canada in less than a week from ordering and came with free shipping and the Pacer Pole folks offer excellent customer service. There are many videos demonstrating the design and use of their poles on their website. I chose the aluminum over the carbon fiber because even tho they are slightly heavier ( not an issue as long as you are using them and not carrying them in your pack) they can be mended in an emergency if you accidentally bend a pole (not likely to happen by the way) whereas the carbon fiber snap if they fail (probably also not something to worry overmuch about) You'll find Pacer Poles are very popular on this forum and there is a good reason for that :)

100 % agree here with this post. I use poles myself , not pacer poles, I found a pair and before re-homing them,tried them .great and better than other poles. you can buy them in store in the UK.

Flying IBERIA into Spain from Boston .
Anyone ever heard of poles being confiscated at security if rubber tips are on if on carry on pack ?

Flying IBERIA into Spain from Boston .
Anyone ever heard of poles being confiscated at security
Oh yes, frequently. See various threads and comments in regard to transporting poles / airport security. Airport Security across most of the globe do not admit long sticks with nasty pointed ends into airplane cabins. Covering nasty pointy ends with removable rubber tips has the same merit as keeping a flick-knife folded. Dividing long sticks with nasty pointed ends into three shorter sections still involves taking a, now, short stick with a nasty pointy end into an airplane cabin. Unless you want to run the high risk of having poles confiscated, check them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had thought about taking my pack (and poles) as carry-on but ultimately decided to put my poles in my pack (along with my swiss army knife), put my pack in a plastic garbage bag and used duct tape to create a solid package. At the airports I then obtained durable plastic bags at checkin and rewrapped the package with the airline tape. Overall, the package was probably much more secure than my regular suitcase would have been.

On other trips when I have used my suitcase, I have carried the PacerPoles in my suitcase. I have never tried to carry my PacerPoles as carry-on, but I have taken long wooden poles with rubber tips with my carry-on on domestic flights where I have also checked luggage. Despite that "success," carrying my swiss army knife would remain a problem, so I am generally resigned to having to check something. Security at airports varies airport to airport and guard to guard, particularly on international flights. Additionally, given the long lines and the time required to check something that security will not let pass, I would probably not try to carry my poles as carry-on.

I had thought about taking my pack (and poles) as carry-on but ultimately decided to put my poles in my pack (along with my swiss army knife), put my pack in a plastic garbage bag and used duct tape to create a solid package. At the airports I then obtained durable plastic bags at checkin and rewrapped the package with the airline tape. Overall, the package was probably much more secure than my regular suitcase would have been.

On other trips when I have used my suitcase, I have carried the PacerPoles in my suitcase. I have never tried to carry my PacerPoles as carry-on, but I have taken long wooden poles with rubber tips with my carry-on on domestic flights where I have also checked luggage. Despite that "success," carrying my swiss army knife would remain a problem, so I am generally resigned to having to check something. Security at airports varies airport to airport and guard to guard, particularly on international flights. Additionally, given the long lines and the time required to check something that security will not let pass, I would probably not try to carry my poles as carry-on.

When you do check a suitcase with poles/knives/whatever, what do you do with the suitcase after you arrive. I was thinking of maybe a really cheap duffle bag I could just donate somewhere, is that possible? I'm too nervous about the idea of checking my backpack.

Oh, I have not taken a suitcase when walking the Camino.

Those trips with suitcases are simply where I happen to take my PacePoles with me. I have had several pocket knives confiscated over the years, usually because I had forgotten to put them in my suitcase. That's why I resigned myself to checking my pack/bag. For the Camino, my strategy was simply to bundle everything so that it would be difficult to see the contents, difficult to open casually, and then trust the airline not to lose it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you do check a suitcase with poles/knives/whatever, what do you do with the suitcase after you arrive. I was thinking of maybe a really cheap duffle bag I could just donate somewhere, is that possible? I'm too nervous about the idea of checking my backpack.

You could just mail it ahead to your first night hotel. I have done that before with leather-man and other items. Make sure you have enough lead time if you choose to mail.

I am also a fAn of poles, and my husband , who has used both one (due to having one arm in a sling on our first pilgrimage) comments that two are definitely better than one. To do any length of walk without them is like going without a basic tool when you are building something. However, I bought Pacer Poles last year for our Le Puy walk, and although they are indeed a brilliant design in the handles, I found to my surprise that they did not have a spring tip, which I think it a huge failing, leading to jarring of the hands after a few hundred km.

Don't even think of not using them ! ;)

But use them properly. Most don't.

P.S. some will advise to use poles only going up and down hills. I used them every step of the way to good effect.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you do choose poles PLEASE take rubber "silencers" for the on road sections. They don't alter the performance but do eliminate the awful racket poles make otherwise. Off road just slip them off into your pocket; and you will need spares. Good Luck.

I have used Pacerpoles in my three Caminos and really love them. I ordered them online and they shipped them to me to Mexico. I too am in my 60's and I think it's wise to use some poles, no matter what your age. If you are walking 15 to 30 km a day for weeks at a time, it takes a toll on your body that "normal" hiking a day or two or three a week does not.

If you do choose poles PLEASE take rubber "silencers" for the on road sections. They don't alter the performance but do eliminate the awful racket poles make otherwise. Off road just slip them off into your pocket; and you will need spares. Good Luck.

Very good point! I carried them in my pocket and they are easy to pop on and off with out even breaking stride... The other point of using them of course is that the metal tips can slide on some hard/rock surfaces.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In general, I adjust my poles to complement the particular stride I have on the particular surface I have encountered. But using poles can affect your stride if the pole action dominates. At times that can result in a shortened stride. For me comfort controls, and the mechanics follow whatever I find appropriate for the terrain. My PacerPoles were like two more legs, and I bounded from one spot to another as I thought appropriate wherever I was. Sometimes I was probably moving faster because of the poles; at other times perhaps more slowly. I could speed up and use my poles to propel me forward faster, or I could use them to increase my stability and reduce the pressure on my lower limbs. When walking injured, my PacerPoles functioned more like crutches, keeping me going. The rhythms varied with the time of day, the terrain, and sometimes to whatever I might be listening on my iPhone.

Didn't think the videos looked like power walking. Ambling is fine. PacerPoles fit naturally with each hand. Holding lightly, keeping upper arms relatively still (not reaching forward as I do in X-Country skiing) and developing a rhythm to follow/complement the chosen stride was my approach. Although pole use seems different for X-Country skiing than for walking, the infinite variation available is quite similar. Posture, lower shoulders, put shoulders back seemed all I needed to remember -- most importantly lowering shoulders first before putting them back. The rest was personal choice based on terrain, preferred speed, fatigue, and anything else that might affect how I felt.

I am the proud owner of 3 sets of poles, only used on Caminos .... First was a twist lock carbon pair, second Black Diamond Z something or others prefered because they fit in back pack, third are Pacer Poles bought beacause people here raved about them.

I also find the the PPs propel you forward and faster if use correctly, and it is not a pace that agrees with me. I still have my PPs (carbon) packed in the wrapping I had to mail them back home with the Ryanair baggage handlers decided to go on strike this spring and I could not ckeck baggage, ie fly with them back home. Considering what they cost, I was not leaving them in Santiago and paid 20€ or so for the privildge of mailing them home.

If anyone is interested in them, ideally within Canada to avoid international shipping for a third time ( these poles are better travelled than most people) PM me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought poles in SJPdP and used them until I came across a pilgrim who needed them more than me so I gave them up. Two days later my husband met me with spare tips from home . . . A day after that I ran across the pilgrim and gave her the spare tips! Truly needed them until Burgos, I think but found them a bit of a bother thereafter.

Thank you all and......I want to put what may be a dumb question out there - do you have to adjust your stride in any way when you use poles?

Just my experience.......

In a word No. Your stride should be natural and comfortable.
First practice with the poles just dragging them behind you.
Then start to swing your arms naturally.
Then allow the pole tips to engage the ground, with the poles at about 45 degrees.
As that feels OK, start to put downward pressure on the poles, pressing down on the hand loops, not gripping the pole too hard. Your fingers are really just holding the pole in position. Lightly touching the grip.
As you put downward pressure with each stride, you should feel a corresponding upward/forward boost.
You then adjust where to place the pole tip to suit.
With the pole more upright, you will get more upward lift/support.
With the pole at a greater angle, you get more forward propulsion.

By the end of the first day on Camino you will 'get it'.

Going up steep hills the poles were almost vertical as I pushed down on them. I would guess 10-15 kg of downward pressure on a steep hill.
On the flat they were more at 45% helping to push me along.......
Going downhill I planted them in front of me and leant on them. maybe 10-20 kg of pressure on a steep decline. That's taking 10-20kg off your knees and into your arms!

The thing most people get wrong is this..........

To take weight off your joints and help propel you along..........you need to put downward pressure on the poles! Otherwise they are merely 'outriggers' helping you balance and nothing else.

There are many interesting views on poles....... For me, they were probably my most important piece of equipment. A toss up between my poles and my boots! I could have continued without boots, in my trekking sandals. Not sure I could have made it without the poles without a lot more pain and injury..

Very good point! I carried them in my pocket and they are easy to pop on and off with out even breaking stride... The other point of using them of course is that the metal tips can slide on some hard/rock surfaces.
You may also want to bring a replacement set. I'm glad I did as I wore a hole through the bottom of my first pair.

€83,-
You may also want to bring a replacement set. I'm glad I did as I wore a hole through the bottom of my first pair.

Good point. My original rubber tips lasted about 2 days. The rubber was too soft.
Replacements I bought in Zubiri lasted the rest of the Camino. They were a harder compound.

I am 63 and presently on the Camino. Have used poles in the past. I personally haven't found any reason to use poles on the Camino. But that is your choice of course. Most people I have seen to date clearly do not how to use them-just a fashion accessory

I am 63 and presently on the Camino. Have used poles in the past. I personally haven't found any reason to use poles on the Camino. But that is your choice of course. Most people I have seen to date clearly do not how to use them-just a fashion accessory
I agree that most people I saw with poles weren't using them very well, which is a pity, because the are carrying a little unnecessary weight if nothing else.

My general take on poles are that they are completely optional, but beneficial particularly if they are used properly. Less so otherwise. There are only a couple of things poles can do:
  1. Take some weight off your lower joints. The more vertical the pole, the greater percentage of you effort that goes into this.
  2. Assist in forward propulsion or braking, depending on whether you plant the tip ahead of or behind of your centre line. The greater the angle of the pole away from the vertical, the greater the percentage of effort that goes into this.
  3. Assist in maintaining stability by having a larger 'footprint', ie by being able to reach further forward, back or to the sides.
None of this is terrain dependent, although some people choose to only use poles in certain types of terrain. My view is that if I am going to carry poles, the might as well be in use, irrespective of the terrain.

I agree that most people I saw with poles weren't using them very well, which is a pity, because the are carrying a little unnecessary weight if nothing else.

My general take on poles are that they are completely optional, but beneficial particularly if they are used properly. Less so otherwise. There are only a couple of things poles can do:
  1. Take some weight off your lower joints. The more vertical the pole, the greater percentage of you effort that goes into this.
  2. Assist in forward propulsion or braking, depending on whether you plant the tip ahead of or behind of your centre line. The greater the angle of the pole away from the vertical, the greater the percentage of effort that goes into this.
  3. Assist in maintaining stability by having a larger 'footprint', ie by being able to reach further forward, back or to the sides.
None of this is terrain dependent, although some people choose to only use poles in certain types of terrain. My view is that if I am going to carry poles, the might as well be in use, irrespective of the terrain.

I completely agree with this excellent summary. I would say 90% of the pilgrims I saw on the Camino with poles were using them incorrectly to the point that they would have been either completely useless or even - at times, such as on steep downhills - dangerous. At best they would have been extra weight for them.

I used poles every step of the way, and firmly believe I couldn't have got there without them. They helped immeasurably when I was struggling with achilles tendonitis and what I later realised was early plantar fasciitis, and on less painful days they seemed to give me an extra boost (I am a very slow walker!). But I practiced for months beforehand - I used them on all of my training walks, however pointless that seemed at times on the gentle terrain around where I live. At first I found them terribly jarring especially on pavement, not having used poles before, but I persevered and by the time I started the Camino they felt like extensions of my body. I used Pacerpoles and found them very comfortable to hold, but I can't say whether they are better than other types as these are the only poles I have used. I watched their online videos beforehand and read through all the instructions provided with the poles and on their website - so that I was sure I was using them correctly. In particular, correct placement in relation to the feet, keeping shoulders back and down, and keeping the upper arm as near to vertical as possible so the arm movement was mainly an up-and-down movement of the forearms. Most of the incorrect usage I saw involved a kind of "flicking" motion, placing the pole tips well in front of the feet, often randomly in relation to the person's walking rhythm (somewhere on the forum I remember someone using the phrase "fairy-tapping" - it may have been you, Dougfitz - and that phrase often came to mind when I saw people using their poles in this way).

I also kept the rubber tips on my poles almost the whole way - the weather was very dry and the ground hard for most of the way, and I found the rubber tips more helpful - the metal tips tended to slip on very hard ground, and always found the stones in the path! I took spare rubber tips but did not need to change them - the Pacerpole ones seem to be very hard and durable.

My experience is that pole quality is pretty much directly related to price, particularly if you do learn to use them properly and put some pressure on them. If you just fairy tap your way across Spain, it might not make much difference what quality pole you buy, but you won't be achieving as much weight reduction on your hips, knees and ankles as you otherwise might.

Hi ,
Now about third the way through my Camino with no poles. Despite having balance problems I have had no falls. People I started with who had poles are no further ahead and certainly not in better condition. So someone please tell what's really the point of them?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! So many opinions about poles I don't have time to read them all but I want to get my spake in.
I have no doubt that poles used properly can take a lot of pressure off the lower joints. Because I do not want to pay for hold baggage I have bought one pole in Spain when I have walked a Camino. I really needed a pole when descending a mountain but it also helps when ascending. I use one pole only because I like to have one hand free. The last pole I bought in a Chinese shop somewhere in Spain for only about €5. Three others bought at other times cost around €15 or less. (I think I paid about €35 for a cheap pair in Ireland, which I seldom use.)
The funny thing is that I was prepared to abandon the pole at security at Bilbao airport but it sailed through without comment. This happened twice. A similar attempt at Santiago airport did not succeed although the pole got through the first security guy but not the second, who pointed out the sharp end. Another pole was carried home in my wife's suitcase after she met me in Santiago so now I own five poles which I seldom use.
I am thinking of buying a walking stick - which probably could get on a plane, especially if I limp a bit - when I walk the Northern Camino in a few weeks time. Anything to take the pressure off the knees when going downhill. And a pole would have been handy in the Pyrenees when I started my first Camino, got lost and was menaced by a couple of dogs.

Hi ,
Now about third the way through my Camino with no poles. Despite having balance problems I have had no falls. People I started with who had poles are no further ahead and certainly not in better condition. So someone please tell what's really the point of them?

They take significant weight off your lower joints like knees and hips ... about 20-30% if used correctly. That can make the difference between a successful Camino or an unsucessful one for some folks. They provide balance on uneven terrain or when stone stepping over a creek for instance. They are INVALUABLE going down some of the longer steeper delines on the trail and I can't even begin to count the nukmber of people I saw past Zubiri with wrecked knees from the combined descents going into Roncesvalles and Zubiri so close together in terms of days walking. I am pretty sure poles might have saved at least some of them from several days of discomfort and a few even from abandoning their Camino altogether. I met a woman in Logrono with a broken wrist from a simple fall from the zubiri descent ... she had continued to that point but was heading home due to the injury. Poles would likely have saved her balance and prevented the fall after a long day walking her attention had wandered for the briefest moment and one misstep and viola! Fall.

Do you NEED poles? Only you can answer that ... BUT poles can offer significant benefits to just about anyone and some people could not do the Camino without them.

For me ... I am overweight, past middle age with an occasional bum hip (but only when I bite off more than I can chew) but I am also convinced that because one leg is slightly longer than the other I walk "crooked" with constant tiny minor balance corrections that eventually take a heavy toll on my back even though I hardly notice them normally. With poles I simply can walk farther and faster than I can without and without my poles I would not have made it past day 1 so yeah they were not a luxury item for me ... they were a necessity. So those folks with poles keeping up with you and not passing you, that probably has more to do with their itinerary and not wanting to walk too far in any given day not their ability to walk father with poles ... maybe it takes them a little longer to walk the same distance but poles help or maybe their poles help them make it to the next town earlier than you do but they just felt like stopping early cause that's where their "stage" led them that day. So yeah maybe they need the poles and maybe they don't but just because you can't see an advantage ... doesn't mean that they aren't experiencing one :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
People I started with who had poles are no further ahead and certainly not in better condition. So someone please tell what's really the point of them?
I'm wondering how you can tell that they are in no better condition than if they hadn't used poles. When the evidence is collected objectively, the results are positive. Observational anecdotes are great for some things, but really don't make for informed debate here. At the risk of being really boring, poles are clearly beneficial when used properly, less so otherwise and completely optional.

Last edited:
When I use my poles correctly I realise how mich work it is on the arms. So I assume that if the arms are workijg harder the lower half is getting a break. When I use Pacer Poles correctly I find myself walking faster than is really comfortable for me. But poles have been essential is some, in many, spots. Pushing myself over mud puddles, skirtimg mue puddles, climbimg up,the Brusco on the Norte on my knees, and climbijg down steep rocky stretches I am too short to navigate properly without poles. I am clu,sy enough with poles, without them I'd either still be stuck somewhere on the Camino crying or have ended up in hospital more than once. So even if I'm too lazy to challenge my upper body to use my poles well, they serve me in key moments.

Hi ,

There is a significant impact on your joints which may not be apparent straight away. good for reducing impact on your knees/legs/arms & feet. provide extra balance and all of these especially going down hill.

great from going up steps like Portmarin. and those in Sarria.. TRICK IS TO TRAVERSE on all inclines. ascent and decent

allow your arms to propel you forward and increase your overall speed. used as a support if you do find injury developing.

can be used to move overgrown thorns out the way. used to prevent a dog getting close in most cases....
and quick stowed away as on my rucksack when not needed.
image below is similar to my rucksack.

I use black diamond clic lock poles ... I know pacer poles are even better to support you
poles.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The other thing about using poles, outside of taking the stress off of knees and other joints and assisting in going downhill, is that they can be used as a deterent against aggressive dogs (or humans) who get too close for comfort. They can also be used (when shortened) as batons to keep in time to your iPod music (if you are playing marches), and batons to twirl if you want to give your wrists some exercise and play majorette! :) They can be used to spear paper and other garbage on the trail. If stored on the back of your pack, they can be used as a place on which to hang things (drying clothes, small flags, tiny windchimes...). A pole can be an excellent replacement for a thumb for finding perspective when composing a drawing. If you hang a cloth (your micro towel?) on the end, a pole can be used to swat flies away. The metal tip, sans the sound-proofing rubber tip, can be used to write a message in the dirt for your Camino friends who are walking after you to meet up at the next bar for cafe con leche and bocadillo!

Poles...so versatile! My two cents (oops! Sorry...my two nickels!) worth: do take walking poles with you. Or buy them when you get to France or Spain. If you don't want to take them back home to Winterpeg, mail them back to the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP (if that is where you are starting) so that some pilgrim just starting out, who was not able to bring--or afford--poles, would be given them. That would be the best random act of kindness, wha?!

Enjoy your Camino and preparing for it, Rob! You can use your new poles this winter when you want to go snowshoeing to Tims! All my best from PEI!

Patch

respectfully when ever I see someone on the camino not using poles to there full use, I ask if I can show them. especially when traversing, you could if you want do the same........when someone does not know how to use a product correctly it can be frustrating for them...

Thanks

iBuen Camino!
When the trail is smooth and not carrying much weight, I find I don't need my sticks. But at 63 yrs old I sure have been thankful for my sticks when I walk longer distances and start to get careless in my foot placement as what happens when one starts getting a little weary. My knees are good so far but I am aware that my strength isn't what it used to be.

The sticks allow me to have confidence in my foot placement and have saves me from spills, especially when stream crossings. I think you find them an asset to allow you to continue hiking into your "mature" years. Not that we are there yet, haha

Thank you Heather eh! It's still Mosquitopeg here but i think i still know where my snowshoes are in case we suddenly get one of those Colorado lows coming our way - and as there's a Tim's almost on every corner one will not be hard to find in case of a whiteout. Meethinks you'd be very entertaining on the long path to Santiago. PS: I still have a large jar of pennies if you need some in the future.

I will take those pennies and use them to 'tile' my backsplash in my cottage's kitchen--would make for a splashy and shiny one, roight, eh?! I think I've got about $30 worth of pennies still that the bank never got--I'll find something useful to do with them. Maybe in 100 years they'll actually be worth something to a coin collector! (Suure...uh huh!)

Bring the pennies down to the Island and we'll fill you with a scoff of lobsters, really good potato salad, freshly baked fluffy rolls smothered with butter (like the lobster) and mile high lemon meringue pie. You know, all that good 'healthy' food! :rolleyes::p:D Come down right now and you'll be in the thick of the PEI Fall Flavours. Lots of fancy dancy TV chefs are here ready to strut their stuff; Michael Smith (who lives here, la de daa!) is host, once again! Food food everywhere! Come on down in a few weeks and you will be right on time for the PEI International Shellfish Festival! Lots and lots of seafood is being cooked and lots and lots of really good music--a really big East Coast kitchen party--for the ears and happy feet of all those seafood lovers!

We're past mosquito-time--they were the size of moose this year and as hungry as black flies. Our 17 ft of snow last winter left a bit of a water table (on top of the soil!) and the little biters bred like crazy!!! Ach!!! I wonder if Tim's double doubles will keep those things away from people who dislike being made a meal out of!

Sorry but I found a better use for them (pennies) - taking them on my camino and using them like breadcrumbs so i can find my way back if i get lost - we have lobsters in Manitoba (a little on the small side tho) we call them crayfish. You write very edible messages. Cheers!

"Crayfish"? Those baby things? Pffffft!

Good idea with the pennies though, Rob! Maybe, if you lose something and have to travel back to get it, and end up walking the Camino trail in the dark, the moon will reflect on the pennies to shine your way back to where you wanted to end up!

I shouldn't have written about all that food in the last note--I'm hungry now! ;) Time for some chocolate covered potato chips...! Mmmmmm! (Or maybe just a cuppa tea. Earl Grey. Hot!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
YES! - I would describe many parts of the CF as "rolling terrain" meaning the numerous rocks & boulders want to roll underfoot and cause hikers to lose balance. Trekking poles help reduce the
weight of your backpack and act as balancing sticks when walking on uneven terrain and especially important for going downhill. BUT learn how to use correctly. In 2013 I saw way too many peregrinos who dragged their poles behind them - gave them no protection against falling forwards or sideways. Here is one video

The last bit on the video is what I strggle with, swinging those poles back and forth at that speed. I tnd to take two steps per swing of the arms, so no very effective but I find I would be racing otherwise.

I swing my arms and poles in rhythm with my legs. I'd be lost without them. They help my balance my pack, they help my knees, they build my upper body strength, they stop me turning my ankles, they stop me tripping.

But no one has to use poles. So if you don't want to use poles, don't. You won't get any argument from me. Simple.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back