• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tons of questions

PeteF

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 15 2018
Hi
Has anyone started there walk in mid September? Since I’ll be walking the end of summer Would you recommend a sleeping sack/liner or an actual Bag?
Fall clothes or summer clothes ok?
Is a water proof shoe recommend? I’m gonna roll with my merrels. But should I buy water proof ones?
Does AT&T work over there with a international plan?
I planning on giving myself 6 weeks. Is this enough time? I’m doing it by myself and really want to focus on finding all of those hidden gems along the way.
What are people spending on food & lodging per day? What’s a good budget. I’d like to stay at as many hostels as possible.
Should I bring a mat? Can a guy always find a bed?
Can your clothes and gear be pretreated for bed bugs?
I have so many questions that the books don’t answer.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated
Pete

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Pete and a warm welcome to the Forum.

The great thing about this forum is the huge amount of information that can be found using the search engine... you can find it at the top of the page on the right hand side.

My suggestion is to first start there; enter the words 'sleep liner' for example, and you will get a large response. The same for 'September', etc. It is hard to answer the very general questions you've posted; for example, I do not know what you mean by 'fall clothes' or what you would consider summer wear. :)

As to September, it can be real warm during the days, and cool in the evenings. Gear lists with clothing can be sourced on the search engine. Same with cost per day, lodging, food, etc.

Once you've had a chance to do some research and get your bearings, any specific questions that you post will have a lot of helpful folks around to provide answers :)

Also, if I can be of any help, please send me a private message (PM). It will also be helpful to know if you have experience in long distance walks or hikes to help gauge your level of experience.

Hi
Has anyone started there walk in mid September? Since I’ll be walking the end of summer Would you recommend a sleeping sack/liner or an actual Bag?
Is a water proof shoe recommend? I’m gonna roll with my merrels. But should I buy water proof ones?
I planning on giving myself 6 weeks. Is this enough time? I’m doing it by myself and really want to focus on finding all of those hidden gems along the way.
What are people spending on food & lodging per day? What’s a good budget. I’d like to stay at as many hostels as possible.
Pete
I started my first Camino on Sept 24. Many of your questions will come down to personal preference, so I am answering from my own personal preference. I’ve listed my answers below.

1. I took a lightweight sleeping bag that was good down to around 32f. I was glad to have it. I am a big guy. I tried a silk liner that I picked up at REI, but I got all twisted up in it. There just wasn’t enough shoulder width for me. I liked having my own sleeping bag to slip into at night. It took some of the unfamiliarity out of sleeping in a new place every night.
2. You really need both Fall and Summer clothing, so layers are the best approach. In the beginning and into the Meseta, the days can get warm. By the end things cool off quite a bit.
3. I wore waterproof Goretex shoes, but I don’t think it’s essential. I’d roll with what you have and fits you well.
4. I can’t tell you whether AT&T works well.
5. Depending on how much you can walk a day, six weeks should be enough. Anecdotally, most of the reports I’ve read have people finishing in something less than or equal to 35 days.
6. I read that a good budget is 30 Euros a day. That seems about right to me.
7. I’d skip the mat. You should be able to find a bed, especially at that time of year. I only had one time when the albergue was full. I just stayed at a pensione.
8. I was thinking of treating my sleeping bag with permethrin before my Camino but decided against it when I read the warning label on the spray can. I for sure wouldn’t spray my clothing down with it. I think being careful to inspect the mattresses is the best prevention. You can find all sorts of YouTube videos on how to inspect for bed bugs. I did not run into them, but I did meet someone who had had an encounter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked, starting in Pamplona, from Sept 22 to Nov 02,2017. It rained three days during my walk but who knows this year. The weather was not hot, I’m from Texas, compared to back home at the start but at the end there was some cold days in the high 30’s (F) atmorning times. Note that in Sept and Oct it is still dark till @ 8:30 or so in the morning and the Albergue’s want you out before 8:00 so take a head torch and lite jacket or fleece. I took a sleeping bag but could have taken a bag liner and been fine as most Albergue’s had some sort of covers offered. I found most places to be hot at night as they would have heaters and kept windows closed. Remember that who knows what weather you will have this year.

I use AT&T and bought the Silver plan for international. I had unlimited text and would text in the albergue many times a night but never did text during day. I uploaded pictures to Facebook at night on the Albergue WiFi and also sent text with pictures, but always while in Albergue WiFi. I called one time and used FaceTime one time while on Albergue WiFi. I had no extra charges on my phone bill when I got back home so the AT&T international plan worked for me. I chose the silver plan as I was not going to use data since all my internet activity was on Albergue WiFi at night. I think the silver plan was @ $30.00 for 30 days so I had to buy two months worth. Remember if you go that route you have to contact AT&T when you get home to cancel the international plan or they will just keep charging you each month. I don’t think you asked but remember to get travel insurance to cover any unexpected medical cost over there. I got a policy though AAA and it was with Aliance for around $35.00.

$35.00 a day is a good budget if staying in Albergue and eating pilgrim menus. Note this does not include transportation to starting point or other transportation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
Pete

PeterF. First, congratulations, you are about to embark on a trip of your lifetime. Let me take a crack at your questions . . I completed the Camino Francis two years ago, started September 19th and finished November 4th. I highly recommend that time slot. By and large I encountered good weather, daytime temps in the 70's and early 80's with nights in the 40's-50's. I encountered some light rain in mountainous regions, which a light windbreaker/hardshell can handle with ease. I wrestled with the sleep sack versus bag and ultimately took a very light weight (2 lbs) bag that was good for temps down to 45 degrees. It was perfect, glad I took it. Take summer type clothes and layer up depending on the weather. I took 2 pair of convertible pants, 2 underwear, 2 s/s and 1 l/s Tee; 3 socks, ball cap, light weight hardshell/rain jacket etc. and I was comfortable throughout my trip. I took water proof mid-top Solomon boots, which were great. In hind sight, I think you can trade down to low top boots without any problems. Footwear is critical so don't scrimp on them. Note. I highly recommend you change or rotate your socks throughout the day to minimize getting blisters. I took exactly six weeks and it was perfect. I actually did not have a deadline when to finish. I scheduled my flight home about 10 days out from Santiago. I am so happy to hear you are going SOLO, you will not regret it at all. Your experience will far exceed your expectations --immeasurably. I started out with no objective in mind, just the challenge of completing 500 miles. What turned out to be a "walk" became a profound, transformative journey. You'll see at the finish line. The fall season marks fewer pilgrims so getting a hostel i.e. alburge, should not be a problem. As I recall, I was gone 42 days and the trip cost around $3250 USD - which did not include flights (points) so you can do the math. Most of the time I stayed in alburges - 10 Euros average although at the end I rewarded myself with getting private rooms in pensions ($35-45$ night) which was really a nice treat. Don't take a mat, getting a room should not be a problem that time of the year. I did not have a problem with bed bugs although I was not shy about asking to see the rooms to check out their cleanliness before paying for it. The cooler climes should also help. One very important last point. WATCH the wight of your backpack. No matter how temping, only take essentials. I cannot stress this enough. The key is to be comfortable, after all, you're trekking 500 plus miles. If you absolutely need something, you can buy in the villages and towns you pass through every day. And WATER. Generally speaking, potable water is available in the villages or you can fill up in alburges. You do not need to haul 3 liters, for example, when starting out your day. Staying hydrated is important, I recommend having the capacity of two liters and replenishing in the villages. What can I say, have an extraordinary trip! Rover

I, too, used the AT&T international plan. I think I upped from Silver to Gold because I expected to use more data as I updated my blog every day. The AT&T international plan worked very well, and was not very expensive, and I had no difficulty texting with people from other countries with or without local SIM cards.

I also for travel insurance from Allianz through my local AAA. It is a very good idea to have travel insurance...just in case.
Buen Camino,
--jim--

Thank you Jim!

PeterF. First, congratulations, you are about to embark on a trip of your lifetime. Let me take a crack at your questions . . I completed the Camino Francis two years ago, started September 19th and finished November 4th. I highly recommend that time slot. By and large I encountered good weather, daytime temps in the 70's and early 80's with nights in the 40's-50's. I encountered some light rain in mountainous regions, which a light windbreaker/hardshell can handle with ease. I wrestled with the sleep sack versus bag and ultimately took a very light weight (2 lbs) bag that was good for temps down to 45 degrees. It was perfect, glad I took it. Take summer type clothes and layer up depending on the weather. I took 2 pair of convertible pants, 2 underwear, 2 s/s and 1 l/s Tee; 3 socks, ball cap, light weight hardshell/rain jacket etc. and I was comfortable throughout my trip. I took water proof mid-top Solomon boots, which were great. In hind sight, I think you can trade down to low top boots without any problems. Footwear is critical so don't scrimp on them. Note. I highly recommend you change or rotate your socks throughout the day to minimize getting blisters. I took exactly six weeks and it was perfect. I actually did not have a deadline when to finish. I scheduled my flight home about 10 days out from Santiago. I am so happy to hear you are going SOLO, you will not regret it at all. Your experience will far exceed your expectations --immeasurably. I started out with no objective in mind, just the challenge of completing 500 miles. What turned out to be a "walk" became a profound, transformative journey. You'll see at the finish line. The fall season marks fewer pilgrims so getting a hostel i.e. alburge, should not be a problem. As I recall, I was gone 42 days and the trip cost around $3250 USD - which did not include flights (points) so you can do the math. Most of the time I stayed in alburges - 10 Euros average although at the end I rewarded myself with getting private rooms in pensions ($35-45$ night) which was really a nice treat. Don't take a mat, getting a room should not be a problem that time of the year. I did not have a problem with bed bugs although I was not shy about asking to see the rooms to check out their cleanliness before paying for it. The cooler climes should also help. One very important last point. WATCH the wight of your backpack. No matter how temping, only take essentials. I cannot stress this enough. The key is to be comfortable, after all, you're trekking 500 plus miles. If you absolutely need something, you can buy in the villages and towns you pass through every day. And WATER. Generally speaking, potable water is available in the villages or you can fill up in alburges. You do not need to haul 3 liters, for example, when starting out your day. Staying hydrated is important, I recommend having the capacity of two liters and replenishing in the villages. What can I say, have an extraordinary trip! Rover
I, too, used the AT&T international plan. I think I upped from Silver to Gold because I expected to use more data as I updated my blog every day. The AT&T international plan worked very well, and was not very expensive, and I had no difficulty texting with people from other countries with or without local SIM cards.

I also for travel insurance from Allianz through my local AAA. It is a very good idea to have travel insurance...just in case.
Buen Camino,
--jim--

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Rover! Thank you for this information!! I will be flying into Paris 2 Sep, heading that way straight after a deployment lol mailing all my stuff home and my boyfriend is meeting me in France with my backpack!! I was really worried about the weather but looks like we will be ok. I got new low hiking OBoz waterproof, breaking them in while I am deployed. I was gonna do this alone, then met my Bf last year and after some research he feels he must go.! He is very excited.

2017, September 19-October 26, with one day looking for a dryer after a bedbug sighting. So, one set of experiences only.

I wore shorts every day and short sleeves most days (sometimes started with a merino wool long sleeve t). I am rarely cold, saw many people starting out some days with fleece *and* jackets on.

I took a sleeping bag liner, an inflatable pillow and a super lightweight bag, was glad to have them in church albergues but could have done without the bag.

I didn’t use the cell network - waited for WiFi for communications.

Waterproof shoes were *hot* on La Meseta. Two days with rain, may have helped then but I don’t recall thanking my lucky stars/St James on those days for having them. I would not make waterproof shoes a personal requirement for future fall caminos.

Permithrin, applied correctly, has been judged safe for humans. (Just bought some for treating things for a planned trip abroad in the fall.) Lots of disagreement about its safety among non-scientists. Some research suggests it is hit-and-miss for bedbugs anyway. (Some bedbugs in one researchers’ experience appeared to be unaffected by it.) No real other insect problem last year at that time beyond some pesky and numerous but non-biting house flies in and around Bercianos Del Real Camino. (Saw a few pilgrims with bad reactions to bedbugs, and saw a single bedbug myself, but probably won’t be so paranoid about them on future caminos, while still taking sensible precautions.)

There are very complete outdoor stores in the larger cities, so minimalist packing can work.

I obsessed about all this stuff and would do so again no doubt (my personality - plus, it’s a fun way to anticipate the pilgrimage), but an accurate (if very limited) way to look at the Camino Frances is a first-world walk from cafe to cafe. The small villages won’t have much for equipment emergencies (like blowing out a shoe), but you can get just about anything you need for serious hiking in SJPDP and as soon as Zubiri.

>>>> Has anyone started there walk in mid September?
Not me, but plenty of people do. Lovely time of the year to walk!

>>>> Since I’ll be walking the end of summer Would you recommend a sleeping sack/liner or an actual Bag?
A liner should be enough. If it gets a bit colder, sleep with more clothes.

>>>> Fall clothes or summer clothes ok?
That is too subjective! But as it will be Fall, fall clothes are better. Search packing lists on this forum, write down yours and we can help adjust it :)

>>>> Is a water proof shoe recommend? I’m gonna roll with my merrels. But should I buy water proof ones?
No need for waterproof (they can actually get very hot). If you are good walking with Merrels, stick to them! My husband walked two caminos in Merrels.

>>>> Does AT&T work over there with a international plan?
See above answers. Another option is to get a cheap local SIM card on arrival.

>>>> I planning on giving myself 6 weeks. Is this enough time? I’m doing it by myself and really want to focus on finding all of those hidden gems along the way.
You should be fine. And there is no pressure to get anywhere (it's YOUR camino), so enjoy it and take as long as you want to visit cities. If you start approaching your return date and you are still not close to Santiago, just take a bus towards Sarria and go on from there.

>>>> What are people spending on food & lodging per day? What’s a good budget. I’d like to stay at as many hostels as possible.
$35-40 euro/day is enough. I spent an average of 47-50 euro/day but I also stayed in hotels some nights - splurged staying in the Parador de Leon, a wonderful place :)

>>>> Should I bring a mat?
No.

>>>>Can a guy always find a bed?
If albergues are full (which may not happen in September), you can always go to a small inn for a couple more euros. In the worst of all cases, if you dont find a bed around and you are exhausted, taxi ahead for the next available accomoddation. But yes, you will always find a bed.

>>>>Can your clothes and gear be pretreated for bed bugs?
Yup, with Permithrin. But be careful if using it! Also, some clothes/equipments come pre-treated, so maybe you could go for those ones.

Let us know how your packing is going and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've kicked off from SJPP twice in September (the first 2 days after 9/11!).
First time great weather until the Mesata then poured down until Leon then sunny until Arzua then poured until SdC. Second time was exact opposite.

Liner ✔ if you get cold you can always wear more clothes in bed.

Fall or summer clothes - depends what those seasons mean to you, I'm guessing fall in California is different to fall in North Dakota. As others have said days can be hot and nights cooler, it ALWAYS rains at sometime in Galicia. You'll need a waterproof outer layer (Altus is highly regarded although there was a surge of interest in IKEA capes recently) at least a thin fleece to keep you warm.

There's no such thing as waterproof shoes (or boots) unless you include rubber ones like Wellingtons (look them up - never walk in them). My Merrels and trail runners usually work out fine but as @trecile advises take a spare pair of insoles in case you have a wet day. I always swap out the original ones immediately I buy my shoes especially on trail runners (as the name implies they're designed for running not walking 800km) - the Spanish word for them is "plantillas" or "plantillas de zapatos"

I usually spend around $25 a day for breakfast/picnic lunch/dinner/snacks and drinks. I normally stay in hostales or hotels and have paid from $17 to $125 (that was for two in a Parador and included breakfast).

Forget the mat - as you progress along the way you'll see a lot of mats and tents left behind at refugios as well as clothes (somebody left a pair of unworn - still had the pricetag - Levi jeans at Rabanal having carried them at least 450km from SJPP).

There's always somewhere to sleep, even under a table at Navarete one night.

Don't even know what a bed bug looks like - I'm choosy where I sleep.

Don't fret it too much. Your primary target is getting to SPJJ - by the time you get to Pamplona you should be golden!

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.