• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tough tests.

Pi Wakawaka

Time of past OR future Camino
Plans are set April 2016 Camino Frances
Hola.
It can be tough on the Camino. After 3 weeks of walking one can begin to be tested. I was looking forward to Leon so much but have to say I am disappointed in the local service. The albergue allowed others an extra day of rest but not me. I found a private room and booked it, yet the woman on the counter would not look up from her desk nor give me any information. The restaurant seemed reluctant to serve me. I now wonder why I really came here, I am not full of myself, merely a person the same as any other. A pilgrim come for my own reasons, not to be treated like a leper. Being alienated when alone on the other side of the world is tough. One pilgrim even said it wouldnt hurt to shoot a few Kiwi's as there are too many.
Everyone has hard days, be kind and friendly to all other pilgrims. You never know how hard it might be for anyone.
Tis a lonely road on the true Camino. Buen Camino!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Or, find an outside table, open a bottle of local vino, set down several glasses and invites others to assist in emptying the bottle. Please post results.
Hahaha that's great! I think in the big cities pilgrims must be seen as aliens. People do openly stare. Tis rather odd. I love the villages most. Burgos was my favourite city. I could spend more time there. It was a warm friendly city. So beautiful also.

Consider it an opportunity full of potential grace - you get to escape some pilgrims who are not very considerate.

I believe something special will happen for you soon... Embrace the solitude and the possibilities.

Ultrea
Thank you so much. I know life has it's own agenda, so too does the Camino. I look forward to walking tomorrow and I will enjoy these real sheets and towels tonight!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola.
It can be tough on the Camino. After 3 weeks of walking one can begin to be tested. I was looking forward to Leon so much but have to say I am disappointed in the local service. The albergue allowed others an extra day of rest but not me. I found a private room and booked it, yet the woman on the counter would not look up from her desk nor give me any information. The restaurant seemed reluctant to serve me. I now wonder why I really came here, I am not full of myself, merely a person the same as any other. A pilgrim come for my own reasons, not to be treated like a leper. Being alienated when alone on the other side of the world is tough. One pilgrim even said it wouldnt hurt to shoot a few Kiwi's as there are too many.
Everyone has hard days, be kind and friendly to all other pilgrims. You never know how hard it might be for anyone.

Kia ora Pi Wakawaka, so sorry you're having a bad experience in Leon. It's awful to feel unwelcome - probably all the more so when in contrast with the warm and welcoming atmosphere you've found elsewhere. The comment about shooting Kiwis was no doubt meant in jest but as a New Zealander I don't find that kind of comment funny at all, horrible in fact, and I'm not surprised you were disturbed. Hopefully this is just a "blip" and once you get out of the city and back into the countryside you'll find the Camino welcoming again. I must say Leon didn't do a lot for me - I know a lot of people love it, and of course it has some beautiful places to visit, but to me there was more of an impersonal "big city" feel to it than in the other (actually bigger!) cities along the way. Not that I experienced any unpleasantness, I was just glad to move on. So enjoy those sheets and towels, and then enjoy waving farewell to Leon tomorrow!

Kia kaha and buen camino

Kia ora Pi Wakawaka, so sorry you're having a bad experience in Leon. It's awful to feel unwelcome - probably all the more so when in contrast with the warm and welcoming atmosphere you've found elsewhere. The comment about shooting Kiwis was no doubt meant in jest but as a New Zealander I don't find that kind of comment funny at all, horrible in fact, and I'm not surprised you were disturbed. Hopefully this is just a "blip" and once you get out of the city and back into the countryside you'll find the Camino welcoming again. I must say Leon didn't do a lot for me - I know a lot of people love it, and of course it has some beautiful places to visit, but to me there was more of an impersonal "big city" feel to it than in the other (actually bigger!) cities along the way. Not that I experienced any unpleasantness, I was just glad to move on. So enjoy those sheets and towels, and then enjoy waving farewell to Leon tomorrow!

Kia kaha and buen camino
Hey! Thanks so much for your reply. Awesome to read. The shooting kiwi comment was said to wind me up. You will understand when I say Aussie attitude. Impersonal for sure, is Leon. And a long way from home. Looking forward to walking out tomorrow . Thanks again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With me shaving my head and all my tattoos,I feel unwelcome in my own country.I do feel I get treated better in other countries.I'm used to it and I go with the flow.My motto should be "Keep staring I might do a trick"
Hahaha come to New Zealand. You won't stand out there. Tattoo is skin art in our country.

The comment about shooting Kiwis was no doubt meant in jest but as a New Zealander I don't find that kind of comment funny at all, horrible in fact, and I'm not surprised you were disturbed. Hopefully this is just a "blip"

Kia kaha and buen camino

Not funny at all. Any disparaging comments about various nationalities I find abhorrent and especially so on the Camino. Rise above it, it isn't worth the hurt.
Ultreia! :)

Not funny at all. Any disparaging comments about various nationalities I find abhorrent and especially so on the Camino. Rise above it, it isn't worth the hurt.
Ultreia! :)
Some fools need to wear their clown suit everywhere eh? Hahaha. I'm over it. Yet when the world wonders why the All Blacks always enjoy thrashing the Wallabies, just know that insulting Kiwi's is just fuel for a thrashing

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola.
You are being tested! Rise above it, and go with grace. Good things will come. :)

I stayed three days in a hotel in Leon last fall and enjoyed the rest, the chance to wash all my clothes, and the comfort of a room to myself with a bathtub. But as a pilgrim I did not feel particularly welcome. I ate very little for the three days, as I was not used to a main meal in the middle of the day and could not wait for the restaurant to open at 9:30 p.m. for an evening meal. I lived mostly on tortillas from the local bar and I don't think I ate another tortilla in Spain after Leon.

If you are still in Leon tomorrow don't miss the English bookstore, amd the cathedral's audioguides, one of the best I have ever come across. Walk the barrio humedo and enjoy the graffiti. Facing the cathedral, walk left and rest in the beautiful quiet park there amd roam around those small streets. As pilgrims we only get a quick view of the main drag and a couple of buildings as we have so little time and aching feet which is a pity, but with a bit more extra time one can start discovering hidden treasures. Glad you are in better spirits.

Leon was a bit of a trial for me as well as I watched a man enter a dorm room in an Alburgue & take phones in the blink of an eye! He was out the door just as I began to yell at him. Really though we find bad behavior in all places, it is simply a matter of timing for the good & bad to effect us personally.
I also felt very alone when I chose to walk alone. Or stay in places away from those I walked with. But those are situations we make as individuals. It is simply a long walk with the chance of bad experiences. Yet by far that is not a daily or weekly experience for most.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
well as an Aussie about to walk, if I meet you on the road I will utter no foolish/nasty jests, and be happy to meet you Pi Wakawaka. I do understand how lonesome travelling can be, and that it must be a shock to experience that on a path known for inclusiveness. Hope all brightens up in the next weeks, with the weather :)

i feel sorry that this is happens to you, the Camino Frances is not more the same like 8 years ago. special in parts of burgos , leon and other bigger towns. i always go out of a big city, there are more friendly.
if you like i can send you addresses of great alberge.

I am glad that the forum members are lifting your spirits! As one who walked both of my Camino journeys on my own, meeting people along the way, I know that you on occasion will meet up with that angry soul who feels inclined to bash nationalities.

At the Elvis Bar (you'll get there someday soon) I had a fellow (I won't mention his nationality, but he is one who resents being mistaken for an American) tell me that he would not help me take a photo if I was a Texan. He saw the little bull horns button (a Spanish button) I was wearing and made the assumption I was showing off my US of Texas status. He wasn't nice about it either!

Then, in the Elvis Bar, when that great and kind proprietor served him lovely and free (very good price) fresh cheese cut from a round, he said, "I don't like"..... What a courteous response.

Then, there is the ubiquitous pilgrim flipping people off and stomping around in a grouchy little huff....avoid at all costs!

In other words, look for the sunshine, and if you can't find it, create it and take a deep, deep breath! I would walk with you (for a day, that is; loner at heart!).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am glad that the forum members are lifting your spirits! As one who walked both of my Camino journeys on my own, meeting people along the way, I know that you on occasion will meet up with that angry soul who feels inclined to bash nationalities.

At the Elvis Bar (you'll get there someday soon) I had a fellow (I won't mention his nationality, but he is one who resents being mistaken for an American) tell me that he would not help me take a photo if I was a Texan. He saw the little bull horns button (a Spanish button) I was wearing and made the assumption I was showing off my US of Texas status. He wasn't nice about it either!

Then, in the Elvis Bar, when that great and kind proprietor served him lovely and free (very good price) fresh cheese cut from a round, he said, "I don't like"..... What a courteous response.

Then, there is the ubiquitous pilgrim flipping people off and stomping around in a grouchy little huff....avoid at all costs!

In other words, look for the sunshine, and if you can't find it, create it and take a deep, deep breath! I would walk with you (for a day, that is; loner at heart!).

Deb:
I am feeling defensive, for obvious reasons. Nobody should behave like that and we should certainly appreciate that we have good neighbours. One on one, we show who we are as human beings. I can only ask that you forgive and forget that ignorant fool. Some of us may reject what is offered with grace. Some of us may offer what we can to others with what grace we can. I met one Frenchman on camino who spoke not a word of any other language and derided my inelegant French when I switched into his language to be sociable. I came to accept such behaviour from a pilgrim with the understanding that all sorts of people go on camino and the worst behaving may be influenced by the camino environment to make the next step in their personal and spiritual growth. I hope for the same for myself. Blessings to you as you continue your journeys.

Deb:
I am feeling defensive, for obvious reasons. Nobody should behave like that and we should certainly appreciate that we have good neighbours. One on one, we show who we are as human beings. I can only ask that you forgive and forget that ignorant fool. Some of us may reject what is offered with grace. Some of us may offer what we can to others with what grace we can. I met one Frenchman on camino who spoke not a word of any other language and derided my inelegant French when I switched into his language to be sociable. I came to accept such behaviour from a pilgrim with the understanding that all sorts of people go on camino and the worst behaving may be influenced by the camino environment to make the next step in their personal and spiritual growth. I hope for the same for myself. Blessings to you as you continue your journeys.

I have met some of the kindest people from Canada! Not to worry. I try never to judge a nationality by one poor representative, and can only hope others do the same <3

Hola.

Any idea what the reason or cause of this behavior ? Would like to know to be prepared as I'm starting my Camino late May, and walking all of June. Thank You !

Hola.

Any idea what the reason or cause of this behavior ? Would like to know to be prepared as I'm starting my Camino late May, and walking all of June. Thank You !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There are rude, uncouth, unpleasant people everywhere, in any country and some of them will inevitably be met on the Camino...The important bit, to me, is not to judge the whole country as a whole according to those sorry individuals.... I think they are best ignored.:)

I think part of the issue in Leon could just be that it is a large city, which can be kind of shocking after being in small places. People are in a rush, they aren't as outwardly welcoming and friendly - and then you get a couple of actual rude people and it all starts to seem to be too much. Its a shock to the system.

As for the comment about there being too many Kiwis - as an American, I completely understand. People like to take verbal pot shots at Americans and it can be really tiresome. Its really mean spirited and just plain rude. Most of us are kind of used to it and shrug it off, but it doesn't feel good at all. Try to keep in mind that when people make rude comments about others, it really has everything to do with the person being rude and nothing to do with you - nothing at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola.
Kiora Pi. I am sorry about your experience in Leon and I am sure it will improve. I have walked many Caminos and have had similar treatment occasionally but not often. Walking along Lake Geneva was particularly unpleasant for me and I felt treated like a leper there at times too. Once in Germany I was screamed at and abused when I asked for water on a hot day. I have bladder cancer and have to drink a lot. I nearly cried. Then I got into compassion mode and thought what an empty and unhappy life the person must have who treated me so badly.
One feels particularly sensitive as a pilgrim because one is stripped of all the things that give us standing in the community at home. Family, job, roles in society, cars, houses and clothes. As a pilgrim there is just you as a pilgrim..
Every kindness from others is felt very keenly and so is lack of it and indifference. Furthermore one has all day while walking to ruminate about these encounters. Overall I have been blown away by the kindness of people and hope that will be your experience too.

Kiora Pi. I am sorry about your experience in Leon and I am sure it will improve. I have walked many Caminos and have had similar treatment occasionally but not often. Walking along Lake Geneva was particularly unpleasant for me and I felt treated like a leper there at times too. Once in Germany I was screamed at and abused when I asked for water on a hot day. I have bladder cancer and have to drink a lot. I nearly cried. Then I got into compassion mode and thought what an empty and unhappy life the person must have who treated me so badly.
One feels particularly sensitive as a pilgrim because one is stripped of all the things that give us standing in the community at home. Family, job, roles in society, cars, houses and clothes. As a pilgrim there is just you as a pilgrim..
Every kindness from others is felt very keenly and so is lack of it and indifference. Furthermore one has all day while walking to ruminate about these encounters. Overall I have been blown away by the kindness of people and hope that will be your experience too.

What a kind and thoughtful post...it makes me think of a passage someone else had previously posted on this forum from Paulo Coelho...
"When you travel, you experience, in a very practical way, the act of rebirth. You confront completely new situations, the day passes more slowly, and on most journeys you don't even understand the language the people speak. So you are like a child just out of the womb. You begin to attach much more importance to the things around you because your survival depends upon them. You begin to be more accessible to others because they may be able to help you in difficult situations. And you accept any small favour from the gods with great delight, as if it were an episode you would remember for the rest of your life.
At the same time, since all things are new, you see only the beauty in them, you feel happy to be alive. That's why a religious pilgrimage has always been one of the most objective ways of achieving insight." (Paulo Coehlo, The Pilgrimage)

@gittiharre:
I love your post. How vulnerable you must feel when you have a special medical need for water and are rejected! Your use of the word "ruminate" has brought to my mind something which I have read recently. Apparently, walking in nature relieves people of depression, because they tend not to ruminate while walking. See this article from Stanford about research in this area: https://news.stanford.edu/2015/06/30/hiking-mental-health-063015/
As a person who tends to be depressive, I find that this is true for me: I am free from depression while hiking and particularly while walking the camino. The camino is good for my mental health. I pray that walking the camino may be good for your health. Blessings.

Hola! Such a kind post, thank you. I am also a loner at heart and not needy and clingy either. It just blows me away that people come to the camino for many reasons, and it is cruel to be so mean. Some may be sick or just lost their child or ANYTHING, I wonder if people would be mean if they knew these things. We are all on the long walk home. The Camino is a small snippet of life as a whole cycle (community).
And after Leon, life treated me to lots of treasure and I was healed. One act of kindness can do so much for a spirit

Hi. Who knows, but I know he enjoyed insulting people for a reaction because he told me he tried to wind up some catholics. Stupid person, hope he learns respect someday.

Bless you for sharing! And it is true that
bless you for sharing. You are amazing!!!. And true about feeling vulnerable and more sensitive whilst gladly stripped of outer layers. Interesting you used the word leper! Because thats what came to my mind.... unwanted leper. I was in a really low place inside and it just sucked to be kept being kicked when down. All in all my experiences are wonderfully mixed and life is what it is. I have about 10 days to go and it just gets better. I think my inner camino started in Leon..... addressing my deeper issues of the 'unwanted leper' a pattern that has plagued my life. I think perhaps I hit rock bottom of that particular old cage.... everything has been wonderful since, so maybe it is so.....
Thank you and may your journeys all be beautiful ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bless you for sharing! And it is true that

bless you for sharing. You are amazing!!!. And true about feeling vulnerable and more sensitive whilst gladly stripped of outer layers. Interesting you used the word leper! Because thats what came to my mind.... unwanted leper. I was in a really low place inside and it just sucked to be kept being kicked when down. All in all my experiences are wonderfully mixed and life is what it is. I have about 10 days to go and it just gets better. I think my inner camino started in Leon..... addressing my deeper issues of the 'unwanted leper' a pattern that has plagued my life. I think perhaps I hit rock bottom of that particular old cage.... everything has been wonderful since, so maybe it is so.....
Thank you and may your journeys all be beautiful ....
It sounds a very therapeutic experience and perhaps you will be able to let go of your inner leper now. Wonderful to hear things are better for you now. Kia kaha Gitti

Personally, I've never met a Kiwi and am looking forward to doing so on the Camino next year. I'm American and even in my own country, I've encountered visitors from abroad who disparage the U.S. and me to my very face in the very country that is allowing them to visit, work, and thrive.

There's only one thing you can do about it -- ignore them! You can't change how other people think, act, or what they say. The only thing you can control is your reaction to them. Don't let bad-tempered, rude people ruin your pilgrimage. In fact, don't let them ruin your day no matter where you happen to be. Dwelling on other people's unkindness only causes misery for you -- don't allow them to have a moment's more consideration of your precious time.

Insensitive boors are everywhere; they come in all sizes, shapes, and nationalities. Accept that, shake the dust off your feet, and keep going.

Hola.

oh dear ... sorry you had such a "rottenish experience" (if that's a word...) -
and i hope that you won't be despirited for the remainder of the camino - where it might take you. perhaps just count your blessings and thank your lucky stars or who/whatever else, that you are not-waking-up-each- morning-to-a-person-as-such-who-were-so-rottenish-to-you.
you said: "You never know how hard it might be for anyone. " - so true. and this goes both ways.
i encountered , on occassion, people on the caminho (pilgrims and locals) who were in such a state that i thought to myself: "good grief, who has pee'd into your oatmeal this morning?" - (not that i really wanted to know though...) -
and then remembered that we, or rather I, do not know what anyone is carrying at any given day or time.
That, ... and recognizing that some a simply grumps as well as equal-opportunity-offenders.
And regarding the sense of the appearance of reluctance of being served in a restaurant: it does indeed appear that some places are not at all service oriented - and conduct themselves as if it is an imposition to them that i have inserted my presence into their vicinity.
not a fine atmosphere to enjoy a nourishing meal.
and then again: "thank you lord that i don't wake up next to him/her ! "

it appears like you were given a taste of loneliness in the crowd. perhaps it will graduate to solitude in the crowd ?
wishing you many more smiles and warm hearts that you will encounter!
be not despirited ...
Solvitur Ambulando - it is solved by walking
very best wishes -
c
cartoon_plan_life.png MotherTeresaOfCalcutta.png second_chances_2014.png TolkienQuote.png

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back