• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train cancelled from Paris to SJPDP - need help figuring out if a later train is available

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hi Camino friends -
Our train leaving Montparnasse Station in Paris at 12:08 on August 23 and going to SJPDP was cancelled. I need help on the SNCF site to determine if all trains from Montparnasse Station to SJPDP are cancelled or just my train at 12:08. I am happy to take a later train if it is available. The reason given for cancelling was that departure requirements were not met. Does anyone know what that means? What should I do now?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Camino friends -
Our train leaving Montparnasse Station in Paris at 12:08 on August 23 and going to SJPDP was cancelled. I need help on the SNCF site to determine if all trains from Montparnasse Station to SJPDP are cancelled or just my train at 12:08. I am happy to take a later train if it is available. The reason given for cancelling was that departure requirements were not met. Does anyone know what that means? What should I do now?
The SNCF website is still selling tickets to Bayonne on the 12:08 so presumably its the train from Bayonne to St Jean thats cancelled as per @Bradypus 's post above. SNCF may lay on a bus, otherwise there will / may be later trains. Travelling on French railways is always fun...

The SNCF website is still selling tickets to Bayonne on the 12:08 so presumably its the train from Bayonne to St Jean thats cancelled as per @Bradypus 's post above
Just deleted that post but that seemed to be the issue too. There is a slightly later train from Bayonne to SJPDP. The train from Montparnasse seems to be running as planned.
Screenshot_2023-08-21-18-53-18-923.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can book a ticket from Paris to SJPP at 14.03, arriving Bayonne at 18.13 and leaving for SJPP at 18.38.
If I were you. take the 12.08 train from Paris to Bayonne, leaving you plenty of time to have a coffee in Bayonne and not needing to stress about missing the connection to SJPP.

[edit: many people typing at the same time, it seems..]

Was just typing pretty much same as @Tincatinker and @Bradypus And I just looked at the SNCF website and saw many trains from Montparnasse to Bayonne on the 23rd including the 12.08

I looked also at trains from Bayonne to SJPP on the 23rd and saw a couple of cancellations but still trains running.

A tip. I've done this trip many times. I now book the Bayonne to SJPP train as a separate journey. The reason being that, depending on how your booking was made, if it's one booking from Paris Montparnasse to SJPP it may be 'cancelled' but only one portion of the journey is in fact cancelled. Hope that makes sense.

My bookings are usually done on SNCF or Trainline website. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just typing pretty much same as @Tincatinker and @Bradypus And I just looked at the SNCF website and saw many trains from Montparnasse to Bayonne on the 23rd.

I looked also at trains from Bayonne to SJPP on the 23rd and saw a couple of cancellations but still trains running.

A tip. I've done this trip many times. I now book the Bayonne to SJPP train as a separate journey. The reason being that, depending on how your booking was made, if it's one booking from Paris Montparnasse to SJPP it may be 'cancelled' but only one portion of the journey is in fact cancelled. Hope that makes sense.

My bookings are usually done on SNCF or Trainline website. All the best.
Excellent tips! Thank you! So, you think “departure requirements not met” was actually the train being cancelled in Bayonne and NOT something I screwed up?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Excellent tips! Thank you! So, you think “departure requirements not met” was actually the train being cancelled in Bayonne and NOT something I screwed up?
So, one more question….does it look like the 12:08 train to Bayonne is still running? I had another person tell me that only the 14:03 train was running for the day. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble determining what the correct answer is

So, one more question….does it look like the 12:08 train to Bayonne is still running?

I think it is. I can make a booking for the 12.08 train to Bayonne, but not to SJPP.

So, one more question….does it look like the 12:08 train to Bayonne is still running? I had another person tell me that only the 14:03 train was running for the day. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble determining what the correct answer is

I just searched on SNCF and it seems to be running, tickets still being sold. Are you in Paris now? Near a major station. You could go to SNCF in the morning and double check on the 12.08 train but my research and all others above are showing the same thing.

In the meantime, I'd buy a ticket for the later train 18.38 from Bayonne to SJPP mentioned by @Marc S. and @Bradypus , In case you need it. The cost is usually less than 10 euros. But if your Paris to Bayonne journey goes ahead as originally planned, there also may well be a replacement bus at Bayonne station for your cancelled train. That is very common in those circumstances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just searched on SNCF and it seems to be running, tickets still being sold. Are you in Paris now? Near a major station. You could go to SNCF in the morning and double check on the 12.08 train but my research and all others above are showing the same thing.

In the meantime, I'd buy a ticket for the later train 18.38 from Bayonne to SJPP mentioned by @Marc S. and @Bradypus , In case you need it. The cost is usually less than 10 euros. But if your Paris to Bayonne journey goes ahead as originally planned, there also may well be a replacement bus at Bayonne station for your cancelled train. That is very common in those circumstances.
Right now I am in USA doing all this panicking! Haha! Our flight takes off Aug 22 (tomorrow) at 18:30 and arrives at CDG Paris at around 8:00.

So do you think “cancellation due to departure services not met” is all due to the Bayonne train being cancelled not an error that I made?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right now I am in USA doing all this panicking! Haha! Our flight takes off Aug 22 (tomorrow) at 18:30 and arrives at CDG Paris at around 8:00.
Also have your plan in place for getting from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse. Getting through immigration and customs can be fast or slow depending on many things including how many international flights arrive at the same time.

Also have your plan in place for getting from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse. Getting through immigration and customs can be fast or slow depending on many things including how many international flights arrive at the same time.
Yes, we are either going to take the RER B to Denfert station or a taxi directly to the Montparnasse station

@Natique2, as others have said, on August 23, the train leaving Paris at 12:08 and arriving in Bayonne at 16:14 is running. The train leaving Bayonne at 17:13 for SJPP is cancelled. The next train leaves at 18:38 and it is running.

What exactly does the email say that you received? Is it only in English or also in French?

I wonder whether the message merely alerts you to the fact that the train from SJPP that you had booked is cancelled (no "departure services"???) Does it say anything about reimbursement for your ticket? I am assuming that you have already paid or are you still in the process of booking?

Getting a ticket from Bayonne to SJPP is not an issue - you can still buy it in Bayonne (if you even need one under these circumstances).

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, we are either going to take the RER B to Denfert station or a taxi directly to the Montparnasse station
Great. If you start to feel that time is getting away as you go through the controls etc, I’d probably take the taxi option particularly if you haven’t done similar train and metro travel in Paris before. You can strike a queue at the ticket vending machine and the movement from RER to metro etc can be time consuming. Or all could go quickly and smoothly. 🤷🏼‍♀️

The train will cost around 12 euros per person from memory. You say ‘our’ train, so the per person cost for the taxi could be good value. That expense is negligible when you consider your flights and time in Spain.

I’ve also taken the airport bus from CDG to Paris Opera and found that efficient and reliable. But you’ve got your two options in hand.

Safe travels. And Buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. If you start to feel that time is getting away as you go through the controls etc, I’d probably take the taxi option particularly if you haven’t done similar train and metro travel in Paris before. You can strike a queue at the ticket vending machine and the movement from RER to metro etc can be time consuming. Or all could go quickly and smoothly. 🤷🏼‍♀️

The train will cost around 12 euros per person from memory. You say ‘our’ train, so the per person cost for the taxi could be good value. That expense is negligible when you consider your flights and time in Spain.

I’ve also taken the airport bus from CDG to Paris Opera and found that efficient and reliable. But you’ve got your two options in hand.

Safe travels. And Buen camino.
I think after this whole process of rebooking our train (my husband and myself) today, we decided to hire a taxi upon arrival at CDG to take us directly to the Montparnasse Station. Enough of the trains! Haha! It was a great learning experience though and will make my husband and me better travelers in the future . The challenge can be frustrating but it’s always rewarding to overcome it and find a solution. Thanks for all your help ! We both truly appreciate it and know we could not have made a new plan without you and some of the other members of the forum.

after this whole process of rebooking our train (my husband and myself) today,
Just for the benefit of future travellers: After receiving the email, you could rebook your journey: Fast train from Paris to Bayonne as initially planned and slow train from Bayonne to SJPP on the same day but a later train? No extra cost?

I wish you a good flight and good train journey and a buen Camino. Will you let us know when you are ready to start the first steps towards Santiago? ☺️

Fwiw, I concur with @Pelerina's earlier tip who books the Bayonne to SJPP train as a separate journey and the Paris to Bayonne train also as a separate journey. You will have two tickets instead of one but in this specific case (long TGV trip and short and cheap regional train trip) it is much easier to manage changes and cancellations.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It appears to me that the "train" section between Bayonne and SJPP is often "replaced" by (shuttle) bus.

It appears to me that the "train" section between Bayonne and SJPP is often "replaced" by (shuttle) bus.
Either way it’s a short trip with just a few stops. In fact the bus/es are often more comfortable - seating only. Whereas in peak pilgrim times, the small train can be very crowded with every inch of space taken. We don’t walk at peak times but we have been on the train and/or replacement bus at busy times to visit friends in SJPP. I feel for the locals struggling to make their way through the crush of pilgrims to get off the train at the stops between Bayonne and SJPP. 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just for the benefit of future travellers: After receiving the email, you could rebook your journey: Fast train from Paris to Bayonne as initially planned and slow train from Bayonne to SJPP on the same day but a later train? No extra cost?

I wish you a good flight and good train journey and a buen Camino. Will you let us know when you are ready to start the first steps towards Santiago? ☺️

Fwiw, I concur with @Pelerina's earlier tip who books the Bayonne to SJPP train as a separate journey and the Paris to Bayonne train also as a separate journey. You will have two tickets instead of one but in this specific case (long TGV trip and short and cheap regional train trip) it is much easier to manage changes and cancellations.
Yes, I was able to rebook the trip and should have done it using the “exchange” button instead of cancelling and rebooking. I’m not sure if it would be at no cost if you exchange the tickets. I think you have to pay the going rate of the new ticket either way but I think if you use the exchange button, you may not have to pay the cancellation fee like I did. (Ok that was painful since it really wasn’t me who cancelled! Haha!) The reason I was fearful of using the exchange button was because I didn’t know that the second leg of the trip from Bayonne to SJPDP would come up next on the screen to also exchange that ticket as well. Had I booked two separate tickets from the start, I would have not have hesitated to exchange both tickets, or just one as the case may be, because I could have checked availability separately on each ticket without having to do it in a sequence and not know what would be available on the 2nd leg of the trip. Also, I had conflicting intel from another source as to what trains were available. This allso added to my hesitation of using the exchange button. My main goal was to try to avoid traveling to Bayonne on Aug 23 without having a train to SJPDP on the same day. The benefit of booking the two legs of the train trip separately truly was evidenced yesterday. From my understanding, one should also book multi city air travel the same way. That is, book all legs separately so that if you have to cancel or rearrange your plans on the go, you will not interrupt other segments of your travels . I feel I was fortunate to be able to cancel and rebook. The possibility of being shut out of even being able to purchase a seat at the last moment was a bit stressful. Live and learn - I won’t do that again. All in all it was a good learning experience and will make me a better traveler in the future. I cannot begin to thank everyone who helped me through this forum yesterday! Honestly, you pulled me through to a solution!

@Natique2 You're on your way. Being adaptable and rolling with the punches - with good humour, as you have - will stand you in good stead on any Camino. Enjoy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was able to rebook the trip and should have done it using the “exchange” button instead of cancelling and rebooking.
@Natique2, thank you so much for this detailed feedback. It may come in useful for assisting another pilgrim one day. I can understand your hesitation to press the "exchange" button in a system and on a website that is unfamiliar. I might have opted for the safest approach, too, that you appear to have picked (new booking and cancellation of the previous booking). The important thing is that you are on your way and everything is settled as far as train tickets for today, August 23, are concerned.

Your train with departure at 12:08 from Montparnasse is already scheduled on the station's real-time departures and arrivals board (see screenshot), all is fine. Hendaye is the terminal where this train's journey will end. The platform number (voie) will appear nearer to departure time. The train will depart on time (à l'heure). I am excited for you :).

Montparnasse.jpg

Last edited:
@Natique2, you will probably not see this but I am posting it nevertheless, it may be of interest for others in future. I had another look at the real-time departure board for Bayonne train station.

1. The train from Paris is expected to arrive 20 minutes later than scheduled. Perhaps not a surprise, SNCF had announced that the exceptional heat today may have an effect on train traffic.
Arrival from Paris.jpg

2. On the departure board, one can see the cancelled train to SJPP (the reason for this thread) and the next train to SJPP:
Departure Bayonne.jpg

3. What's interesting is that there are entries on the departure board for "car" - these are buses operated by or on behalf of SNCF, not regular buses. They appear to be not replacement buses, but additional buses. Replacement buses leave at the same time as the cancelled train that they replace. These two buses leave earlier and closer to the arrival of the train from Paris. Bus 030 drives non-stop from Bayonne to SJPP (arrives at 18:00) and Bus 003 stops at all the stations between Bayonne and SJPP (arrives at 18:24).

You may well be able to get on one of these two buses and even use your train ticket because it is a ticket for a regional train without seat reservation and you would arrive earlier in SJPP than planned. Perhaps you will receive information on the train or at Bayonne station.
Bus supplementaire.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back