• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train question - Sahagún to Ponferrada

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi
Can anyone advise whether it is necessary to book in advance for trip between Sahagún and Ponferrada?
Not exact yet on date arriving in Sahagún at completion of CdMadrid; and need to catch train to start point of the Invierno.
Has anyone bought a ticket on the travel day ?

Otherwise., I may need to make a decision on days to walk the CdM; in order to eradicate the wee problem. That decision in itself, will solve another issue: of booking date for accommodation in Ponferrada!!

Any insights appreciated
Annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Annie,

I walked Sahagun - Ponferrada as connection between Madrid and Invierno but I guess you don't have enough time. Anyway, I don't think you need reservation. Maybe it can depend on the season but neither of two towns are some special tourist destination or University towns (like Leon). I wouldn't worry :)

Buen Camino combo!

PS (If by any chance the trains would be full on desired date which I really doubt there are still buses and blablacar)

Last edited:
Thanks Kinky
You’re so right . Also have allowed myself 26 days (inclusive of day 1 out of Madrid to Sahagún/ travelling to Ponferrada /and arriving Santiago on 17th April. ). & so cant squeeze in the CF section in between.
I may cancel booking for 17 and arrive 18th. That gives an extra day.

Wasn’t sure how difficult or how I’ll find the Invierno, so am a bit confused with allocating my days between them. Something tells me I may need a more comfortable pace on The Invierno., but it’s only my gut feeling.

A bit more research on my part and I may answer my own problem re daily split.
Thanks for your feedback
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Annie,
I booked the only time I did this (going to SdC, actually). When I got to the station there were a number of pilgrims who hadn't and they had no trouble getting a seat. But I'd check to make sure that it's not a holiday or something like that.
The train from Ponferrada to SdC follows part of the Invierno and it looked totally gorgeous. But rugged. So your gut feeling is likely to be trusted!:eek:

Hi Annie,
I booked the only time I did this (going to SdC, actually). When I got to the station there were a number of pilgrims who hadn't and they had no trouble getting a seat. But I'd check to make sure that it's not a holiday or something like that.
The train from Ponferrada to SdC follows part of the Invierno and it looked totally gorgeous. But rugged. So your gut feeling is likely to be trusted!:eek:
Thanks VNwalking, for your sharing your experience - I’ll check for holidays etc.

Wasn’t sure how difficult or how I’ll find the Invierno, so am a bit confused with allocating my days between them. Something tells me I may need a more comfortable pace on The Invierno., but it’s only my gut feeling.
You might be right because apart from Cercedilla - Segovia stage on Madrid, Invierno is everything else but Madrid. Two completely different Caminos (they share the hospitality of people though!). But flat Madrid allows you to build up some more stamina for Invierno. If you walked Norte and Primitivo (which I didn't but have read everything about it) then Invierno would be a bit easier I think.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might be right because apart from Cercedilla - Segovia stage on Madrid, Invierno is everything else but Madrid. Two completely different Caminos (they share the hospitality of people though!). But flat Madrid allows you to build up some more stamina .
Great food for thought ! I’ll have to remember to adjust days suitably.
Thanks again.

Is the train from Sahagún to Ponferrada direct or do you need to change at León?
Hi Elaine
I see you’re busy planning. Good luck.
The train was a cinch. I did have to wait a while for it at Sahagún but that suited me. I went for a walk and another café con leche.
Luckily I had someone (fluent Spanish ) who came into ticket office with me and made it that much more simple even though I was prepared to do this myself. No problem buying on the day.
Train was direct (possibly there could be certain trains that change ).but my train didn’t need changing anywhere and it’s awesome getting close to Ponferrada to see the terrain out of the windows to the left. Makes you wonder if you’ve taken on too much; but of course- we know that camino Route always finds the best way. Nothing too daunting.

Will be watching your forum posts. Good luck and buen camino
Annie

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Elaine
I see you’re busy planning. Good luck.
The train was a cinch. I did have to wait a while for it at Sahagún but that suited me. I went for a walk and another café con leche.
Luckily I had someone (fluent Spanish ) who came into ticket office with me and made it that much more simple even though I was prepared to do this myself. No problem buying on the day.
Train was direct (possibly there could be certain trains that change ).but my train didn’t need changing anywhere and it’s awesome getting close to Ponferrada to see the terrain out of the windows to the left. Makes you wonder if you’ve taken on too much; but of course- we know that camino Route always finds the best way. Nothing too daunting.

Will be watching your forum posts. Good luck and buen camino
Annie
Thanks Annie. Yes, have started to map out possible route for the first part of my walk next year, Mendocino then the Madrid. Then a train from Sahagún to Ponferrado to try the Invierno. I might be a bit over ambitious, but I will give it a go!
Great to hear from you xx

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.