• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train to SJPDP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@DeNisewoodbury it is worth looking at the available tickets in the morning, as well as the afternoon. I use Trainline, because it is easy and it shows all available combinations of times and prices. You can try booking direct with SNCF - their website used to be a nightmare (like Renfe in Spain) but seems to have improved, and I assume they have made paying easier then it used to be.

If the tickets are expensive you could consider flying to Biarritz.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it best to book tickets far in advance or is same day possible?
Advance! Keep things simple and get a Paris to SJPDP ticket. The Paris to Bordeaux section is crazy fast, you're in for a treat (if you've never had a go on these ultra-fast trains). I'm not sure what the current status is, but the very last bit of the journey may be a replacement bus service. Not to worry though, it's all super slick.

We recently booked our train travel from Paris to SJPP using the Trainline website. Suggest you download the APP too as you then have access to your tickets on your phone but we always travel with paper copies as well. We are travelling to SJPP on 24 April and booked tickets a month ago and seating was limited. Best of luck, safe travels and maybe our paths will cross in SJPP or on the Camino.

We took the train last Sept. from Paris (Gare Montparnasse) to Bayonne, then change to SJPdP. I booked on the SNCF web site without any problems. I booked about 1 month in advance.

Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you. This planning stage can be overwhelming 😊
One thing I find useful is to start a Google doc (or sheet) and c/p all my ticket info into it. It becomes my itinerary and I can note what is booked (like my flight to Lyon and train to Le Puy) with times and transfers, and what is not booked (like the commuter train from St. Exupery to Lyon). And I put in useful addresses that will help me when I arrive. I share the sheet with my partner so he can know the overall plan.

It helps with the overwhelm, is available anywhere in the world (because Google is in the cloud) and anyone I choose can know my plan.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back