A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Trains/buses from Santiago to Ferrol

Will be doing the ingles in June but need to stop first in Santiago on a weekday to drop off some luggage for a later trip and then head on to Ferrol to start the walk. Any information about buses or trains will be appreciated.

Advertisment

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Dapemada,
Welcome to the forum!
Check the various transport possibilities on www.Rome2Rio.com. You can easily compare times/ costs/ etc.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil
Camino(s) past & future
There is a bus from Santiago to Ferrol.
Be carefull with your backpack. The driver wants your luggage in the compartment underneath the bus but stopping everywhere he opens the compartment and everybody can get into it to collect his or hers items like bags with groceries, prams etc while you are sitting in the bus. It is not the first time backpacks were stolen in such a situation. When the bus stopped my wife stayed in the bus while I kept an eye on what happened outside. Besides that I connected both packs to each other with clips .

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We took the fast bus, it stops less often. Ours left Santiago about 11.00am and came up from Vigo.
We made sure that we had our small bags with our valuables (cameras, passports, money etc) on the bus with us. We also pushed our packs well into the hold so we had to bend right under to get them out. Over cautious maybe but there had been some opportunist thefts when we were travelling.

natefaith

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Good advice above. For me, I booked and printed a train ticket from the Go Euro app on the phone. Go Euro also has a website and you can take a look at train and bus schedules there.

I left on the train around 3pm from Santiago and made it to Ferrol in a couple of hours. After an overnight stay at Hotel Almendra, I started the Camino Inglés the next morning.

Advertisment

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
It is worth walking from the harbour to the hotel (we also have stayed at the Almendra) and then set off from there next morning via the Plaza de España. That meant we had started from the harbour side, as we wanted, but did not have to walk there and back at the start of the first full day. It is about 3kms to the Almendra from the harbour following the Camino to the Plaza and we also found the tourist office there open in the afternoon.

PeteB

Camino(s) past & future
"Ingles 2013"
Will be doing the ingles in June but need to stop first in Santiago on a weekday to drop off some luggage for a later trip and then head on to Ferrol to start the walk. Any information about buses or trains will be appreciated.
Did the same as you in 2013. I looked at busses and trains but was concerned about timing and stress with the rugsack as others have said. Ended up getting a taxi, wasn’t expensive really and took an hour. 4.5 days to walk back!!! Ask for the price from a few cabs before you jump in. This way also means more time in Ferrol to chill before setting off.

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
As mentioned above, there is a slow bus and a fast bus.
The slow one stops in every town.

I rode bus from Santiago to Ferrol last year when did the Ingles.

FYI: bus station in Ferrol is across the street from the train station.
Walking distance into city from both. Hey we are walkers aren't we?

Always stay in Hotel Silva when in Ferrol.

I have small cable and lock. I secure my pack to support beam when pack in in the lower compartment of bus. That way someone who wants it will have to work to get it. They would give up on my bag. Also use this small cable when on trains. When my pack is in luggage rack on the train.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I have small cable and lock. I secure my pack to support beam when pack in in the lower compartment of bus. That way someone who wants it will have to work to get it. They would give up on my bag. Also use this small cable when on trains. When my pack is in luggage rack on the train.
Great idea for those travelling alone. We lock ours together with a small chain and locking system as well as pushing them to the centre of the hold with our sticks - then we have to hook them out together.

peb

Camino(s) past & future
C. Ingles March 2018
Most trains need to stop at La Coruna, which the buses do not, as they go up the motorway from Santiago to Ferrol and so take less time, but there are two direct trains per day

14.17 arrive Ferrol 16.04 and 20.21 arrive Ferrol 22.09, therefore taking 1 hour 45 minutes. cost no more than 20 euros. I always prefer trains to buses, as you can have sight of your luggage, have more room, and they have toilets

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
daesdaemar Camino Ingles 4

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 68 16.9%
  • May

Votes: 106 26.4%
  • June