• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains/buses from Santiago to Ferrol

dapemada

Will be doing the ingles in June but need to stop first in Santiago on a weekday to drop off some luggage for a later trip and then head on to Ferrol to start the walk. Any information about buses or trains will be appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a bus from Santiago to Ferrol.
Be carefull with your backpack. The driver wants your luggage in the compartment underneath the bus but stopping everywhere he opens the compartment and everybody can get into it to collect his or hers items like bags with groceries, prams etc while you are sitting in the bus. It is not the first time backpacks were stolen in such a situation. When the bus stopped my wife stayed in the bus while I kept an eye on what happened outside. Besides that I connected both packs to each other with clips .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We took the fast bus, it stops less often. Ours left Santiago about 11.00am and came up from Vigo.
We made sure that we had our small bags with our valuables (cameras, passports, money etc) on the bus with us. We also pushed our packs well into the hold so we had to bend right under to get them out. Over cautious maybe but there had been some opportunist thefts when we were travelling.

Good advice above. For me, I booked and printed a train ticket from the Go Euro app on the phone. Go Euro also has a website and you can take a look at train and bus schedules there.

I left on the train around 3pm from Santiago and made it to Ferrol in a couple of hours. After an overnight stay at Hotel Almendra, I started the Camino Inglés the next morning.

It is worth walking from the harbour to the hotel (we also have stayed at the Almendra) and then set off from there next morning via the Plaza de España. That meant we had started from the harbour side, as we wanted, but did not have to walk there and back at the start of the first full day. It is about 3kms to the Almendra from the harbour following the Camino to the Plaza and we also found the tourist office there open in the afternoon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will be doing the ingles in June but need to stop first in Santiago on a weekday to drop off some luggage for a later trip and then head on to Ferrol to start the walk. Any information about buses or trains will be appreciated.
Did the same as you in 2013. I looked at busses and trains but was concerned about timing and stress with the rugsack as others have said. Ended up getting a taxi, wasn’t expensive really and took an hour. 4.5 days to walk back!!! Ask for the price from a few cabs before you jump in. This way also means more time in Ferrol to chill before setting off.

As mentioned above, there is a slow bus and a fast bus.
The slow one stops in every town.

I rode bus from Santiago to Ferrol last year when did the Ingles.

FYI: bus station in Ferrol is across the street from the train station.
Walking distance into city from both. Hey we are walkers aren't we?

Always stay in Hotel Silva when in Ferrol.

I have small cable and lock. I secure my pack to support beam when pack in in the lower compartment of bus. That way someone who wants it will have to work to get it. They would give up on my bag. Also use this small cable when on trains. When my pack is in luggage rack on the train.

I have small cable and lock. I secure my pack to support beam when pack in in the lower compartment of bus. That way someone who wants it will have to work to get it. They would give up on my bag. Also use this small cable when on trains. When my pack is in luggage rack on the train.
Great idea for those travelling alone. We lock ours together with a small chain and locking system as well as pushing them to the centre of the hold with our sticks - then we have to hook them out together.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Most trains need to stop at La Coruna, which the buses do not, as they go up the motorway from Santiago to Ferrol and so take less time, but there are two direct trains per day

14.17 arrive Ferrol 16.04 and 20.21 arrive Ferrol 22.09, therefore taking 1 hour 45 minutes. cost no more than 20 euros. I always prefer trains to buses, as you can have sight of your luggage, have more room, and they have toilets

It is worth walking from the harbour to the hotel (we also have stayed at the Almendra) and then set off from there next morning via the Plaza de España. That meant we had started from the harbour side, as we wanted, but did not have to walk there and back at the start of the first full day. It is about 3kms to the Almendra from the harbour following the Camino to the Plaza and we also found the tourist office there open in the afternoon.
Do you have to start at the harbour?

You do not have to start at the harbor. But, that is the traditional "true" starting point for the Ingles.
I did as Tia wrote. Walked from Harbor to a point that was down the street from Hotel Silva.
The next day I picked up the camino again from that point.

Hotel Silva is nice. Good prices. Clean.

Laundry mat down the street from Hotel Silva. Stores close by,

Not in the city proper; but, walking distance into city.
Or, catch the bus into the city.

Seeing the Naval Musume is interesting.

When I walked the Ingles the up hill walk (that everyone just loved) from Bar Julia was part of the walk.
Have not walked the new route that eliminates the Bar Julia hill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the Ingles is 120km or so long. One of the attractions of the Ingles is that you can do the whole route. As said in posts above, there is no rule that you must start at Ferrol harbour, but on the basis that most people will stay in Ferrol the night before they start, not starting at the start, and taking a picture of the waymark which commemorates the start of the Ingles; i.e. the historic point at which pilgrims came out of their boats at the harbour and started to walk to Santiago, for me, not starting at the start at the harbour seems to me to miss something.

One possible reason not to start at the start at the harbour could be that if you are walking the whole first stage to Pontedeume, it is long - 29km or so, and starting from your hotel in Ferrol will knock 2km or so off the first day.

This is true, but as Tia writes, there is nothing to stop you walking down to the harbour the afternoon / evening you arrive in Ferrol and walking the Ingles to your hotel / level with your hotel and then next morning walking straight out your hotel and carrying on from that point. This is exactly what I did, and also obtained my first stamp at the tourist office by the harbour, stamped for next day, if you wish, because the tourist office does not open until 10am, far later than most have commenced walking.

Also, if the first day per the guidebook seems too long, consider walking to Xubia or Neda and staying overnight there, so that you do not overtire yourself on the first day. Consider also taking the short cut either over the N651 road bridge to Fene, or over the railway bridge to Xubia (assuming the repairs have been completed and the footbridge is open). These short cuts knock up to 10km off the first day, and you still walk 100km to Santiago and so can qualify for a compostela.

But I would start at the start, even, if you do this the evening before. For me, you miss something if you don't.

I am planning on walking the Ingles in June also.....I arrive in Santiago

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back