• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translation app - when language fails us

YYC on the go

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Central 2022
I know that many of us have come to depend on Google Translate to get us through various conversations when we are travelling or walking the Way. I'm wondering if there are other apps that people have found more 'accurate?' By accurate, I mean things like word order, gender of nouns, etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like the app from SpanishDictionary.com

It gives you several choices of translations

DeepL is not so function-rich but does, IMHO give a ‘looser’ and more natural translation than Google.

Still; Mrs HtD and I managed two weeks in the very rural north of Portugal 32 years ago (wedding anniversary yesterday, so I’m certain of the date) armed with only 100 words of Portugese learned from a BBC cassette tape, supplemented by the medium of mime.

We had a great time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
DeepL is not so function-rich but does, IMHO give a ‘looser’ and more natural translation than Google.

Still; Mrs HtD and I managed two weeks in the very rural north of Portugal 32 years ago (wedding anniversary yesterday, so I’m certain of the date) armed with only 100 words of Portugese learned from a BBC cassette tape, supplemented by the medium of mime.

We had a great time.
DeepL also gives alternative translations for a given sentence, which is useful in that what I say here in México might get a quizzical look, a giggle, a guffaw, and a “you aren’t from around these parts, are you?” comment from a local Gallego😂

DeepL also gives alternative translations for a given sentence, which is useful in that what I say here in México might get a quizzical look, a giggle, a guffaw, and a “you aren’t from around these parts, are you?” comment from a local Gallego😂
The alternative translation can be very helpful.

DeepL and SayHi are good for translating several words/sentences. Google Translate has gotten better lately, too. Word Reference is best for "how do you say....?" and SpanishD¡ct is good for conjugation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We do all kinds of prep work in anticipation of our Camino adventures. So, if you have the time and “ganas” before your Camino, and the option is available, how ‘bout going the old fashioned route and enrolling in a class? Tech has its place when walking, for sure, but IMHO you cannot beat the give and take of a classroom setting with others who want to learn and a “profe” who knows how to make the short-term language learning process fun and interesting. And afterwards, you will feel pretty darn proud of yourself when you hit the hospitalero with a “¿Tiene camas disponibles?”, or the mesera at a little restaurant with “¿Me da la cuenta, por favor?” without pulling out the personal language assistant. Give it a shot! Whatcha got to lose?😎

We do all kinds of prep work in anticipation of our Camino adventures. So, if you have the time and “ganas” before your Camino, and the option is available, how ‘bout going the old fashioned route and enrolling in a class? Tech has its place when walking, for sure, but IMHO you cannot beat the give and take of a classroom setting with others who want to learn and a “profe” who knows how to make the short-term language learning process fun and interesting. And afterwards, you will feel pretty darn proud of yourself when you hit the hospitalero with a “¿Tiene camas disponibles?”, or the mesera at a little restaurant with “¿Me da la cuenta, por favor?” without pulling out the personal language assistant. Give it a shot! Whatcha got to lose?😎
Already taking a course. I use apps for nuance and more precise language, at times.

I tend to use Google Translate simply because it is so well integrated with other apps such as the Chrome web browser. Not perfect but constantly improving and the sense is usually clear enough. On my first Camino I used a hard copy phrase book and dictionary and my Spanish definitely improved as time went on :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Already taking a course. I use apps for nuance and more precise language, at times.
For sure! Everything you are exposed to, from classes to apps to music to soap operas and news programs (often one in the same🥳) will help. ¡Buen Camino!

I tend to use Google Translate simply because it is so well integrated with other apps such as the Chrome web browser. Not perfect but constantly improving and the sense is usually clear enough. On my first Camino I used a hard copy phrase book and dictionary and my Spanish definitely improved as time went on :)
Ain’t it great when you see, feel and hear yourself improving your language skills? 🤙🏽

SayHi is my most used app for translating. Plus I love the ability to use it to have a conversation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday. I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid...
Anyone had any experience with getting collapsible (fold up) poles through airport security checkpoints in carryon baggage. In particular when exiting Australia and Spain?
There are a lot of discussions about preparing for a Camino. What boots? Waterproof? Do I need poles? What's the best pack, size, brand? All good questions and there's a lot of information on all...
Noticed for the first time today that Costco is carrying a Cloudveil short sleeve shirt. It’s loose fitting, sleeves quite short and is 52% merino and 48% tencel, several colours. For $17 I...
I stopped in the pilgrim store Armería Castro.Deportes y Tienda del peregrino today, and they carry bags of wool to use on your feet. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zb8fM4AK2qyCuGYt6?g_st=ac
What are the best watches/devices to measure your distance walked each day?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.