• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transportation to madrid airport

Dawn of a new Day

Hi Everyone, Returning to spain Sept.15 for my 3 rd Camino. Venturing on the via de la plata.
I am from western Canada and thinking of flying into madrid. Does anyone know if there is early transportation possible to arrive at the airport by 6am? I have a choice of a 8:20am or a 10:30am departure. The earlier flight is much cheaper.

Also i looked at prices for the high speed train from madrid to Seville. No prices available, when i put in for afew weeks down the road, there was no 2nd class available. Price?

With the addition of fuel charges i think it necessary to book my flight as soon as possible.

Thanks for everyones input.
dawn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not certain what you meant about transport arriving early at the airport-- in Canada?? In Madrid, I took a taxi from Puerta del Sol to the airport for (if I recall correctly), 22 euro in 2007. I imagine that it's much the same heading the other direction. Madridman (http://www.madridman.com/transprt.html#entering) offers suggestions on how to get into the city from the airport. According to the Madrid metro site (http://www.metromadrid.es/01_horariosL8.asp), the trains begin at 6.05 am, and would get you to the city centre or to the train station easily.

The Madrid-Seville AVE train costs 75.10 euro one-way, and acording to the RENFE site (http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html) there are seats available in tourist class on all 12 trains on September 15.

If you are traveling from Madrid to Sevilla, I would take the train. I visited Sevilla a while back, and looked up this post that I posted then:
via-de-la-plata/topic3827.html

It is a comfortable ride, the train leaves from the Atocha train station in Madrid (in town center) and you arrive almost in the center in Sevilla.

Tourist class (or 2nd class) is what "everybody" travels in. The train has a cafeteria, in-train movie and beautiful views.

I would take the train.

Saludos,
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Ivar and oursonpolaire for the great websites.
Sorry i wasn't clear. I was looking at transportation options From overnighting in madrid to getting to the airport for an early morning flight to Canada. If the ealier flight is $100 cheaper, then it would be worth taking that option.
i will check previous posts for hostal in madrid and seville.
dawn

ahh.. I understand. Then I think you have 2 options:

1) Taxi. Comfy, less stress, cost more (about 20 - 25 euro from the center if I remember correctly).
2) Metro. Most likely 1 or 2 train changes to get to airport, so if you have luggage this can be a bit more stress. See the metro site for schedule.

Saludos,
Ivar

Hi,
I'm pretty sure that the Metro of Madrid does not start until 6 a.m. There used to be a bus to the aiport from the Plaza de Colon (it was underground)--I' m not sure if that still is in operation

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would take the Metro option if you take the later flight. It wasn't so bad with my backpack & duffle & for 2 euro, the price can't be beat! :mrgreen:

So, we're both planning trip #3 to the Camino, eh Dawn? Wasn't it just yesterday that we were newbies? :shock:

Kelly

I agree with Ivar. The cheapest and quickest way is the train (AVE).

If you have to be at the airport at 06:00 am you have to take a taxi (and another one in Seville) so, you have to pay the cost of two taxis.

To take the train you only have to be in Atocha Station, and it leaves to hours later in Sta. Justa Station. Fernandoooooo, Am I right?

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back