• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Arrangements Completed.... yeah!!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I snagged a pretty reasonable deal on my flight out of Seattle -- round trip to Madrid -- for September 16.

I had originally planned to fly into Charles de Gaulle like last year, but Madrid is where my son and I would be going after we end this Camino; Caleb to catch his flight home, and me to see Madrid again, after which I would hop a regional flight to Paris. So it just made sense to see if Madrid would be a good choice in terms of cost and flight times --- which it does, this time.

What is funny, is that, even though I am leaving for Spain 19 days earlier than my son, I will be on the same return flight as Caleb will be. Caleb lives in Denver, but my wife is meeting him at the Seattle airport to pick up and then return his little dog, which she will care for while Caleb is with me on Camino.

Since my flight to Madrid lands at 7:45 pm local time, I'll spend the night in Madrid at a nearby hotel. The next morning, I am on an 8:00 am flight out of MADs T-4 terminal to Biarritz, where I will then catch Express Bouricott around 10:30 am into SJPdP. I am looking forward to spending a good portion of the day in St Jean; last September, Caleb and I didn't get in to St Jean until around 6:30pm. Although we were able to walk around a bit and see the town, it will be a bit more relaxed this year.

I'll start out to Roncesvalles the morning of the 18th; I'm looking forward to taking a break and doing some refueling at Orisson before continuing on to Col de Lepoeder. Like last year, I'll take the narrow road way down into Roncesvalles, rather than the trail. I've got a reservation already made at the alburgue; and I'll also have a hard copy of that confirmation. Last year, my son and I had some wonderful fellowship with other pilgrims at the pre-purchased pilgrim dinner. We also had some nice rapport with the couple who shared out cubicle space. It'll be both a bit of nostalgia and of missing having Caleb there at this stay.

Caleb and I ended Camino at Burgos last year; he, because of work schedules and me because of unwanted medical stuff. Caleb will meet me in Leon on October 5, and from there we will finish our Camino to Santiago together. Because I want to complete the entire Camino from St Jean, I will repeat some favorite sections that we did last year, and then I will walk the Camino from where we left off in Burgo all the way to Leon in time to meet Caleb.

I did make a few reservations ahead: in St Jean, at Roncesvalles, in Pamplona, and in Leon; mainly because I know where I want to stay in these locations. The other 14 days before Leon, I'm just playing it by ear. From Leon, my son and I will do like we did last year with regard to accommodations, and just go with the flow. With a commitment to staying flexible about things, finding a place to stay for the night just isn't a source of anxiety to either of us.

Well, that takes care of the logistics. It is much simpler this time around. My backpack is ready, and the stuff that I'll take is sitting all nice and cozy in a small storage tub. Estimated packing time: 10 minutes. Even though the total pack weight last year was just fine at about 4.5 kg, this year I am taking a 6 ounce GoPro and another 5 ounces of batteries, so I will be looking to cull some weight to make up for this add on.

Now I can relax about the 'how to get there' stuff, and just enjoy the pre-Camino anticipation. All the while I am keeping in mind that, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I snagged a pretty reasonable deal on my flight out of Seattle -- round trip to Madrid -- for September 16.

I had originally planned to fly into Charles de Gaulle like last year, but Madrid is where my son and I would be going after we end this Camino; Caleb to catch his flight home, and me to see Madrid again, after which I would hop a regional flight to Paris. So it just made sense to see if Madrid would be a good choice in terms of cost and flight times --- which it does, this time.

What is funny, is that, even though I am leaving for Spain 19 days earlier than my son, I will be on the same return flight as Caleb will be. Caleb lives in Denver, but my wife is meeting him at the Seattle airport to pick up and then return his little dog, which she will care for while Caleb is with me on Camino.

Since my flight to Madrid lands at 7:45 pm local time, I'll spend the night in Madrid at a nearby hotel. The next morning, I am on an 8:00 am flight out of MADs T-4 terminal to Biarritz, where I will then catch Express Bouricott around 10:30 am into SJPdP. I am looking forward to spending a good portion of the day in St Jean; last September, Caleb and I didn't get in to St Jean until around 6:30pm. Although we were able to walk around a bit and see the town, it will be a bit more relaxed this year.

I'll start out to Roncesvalles the morning of the 18th; I'm looking forward to taking a break and doing some refueling at Orisson before continuing on to Col de Lepoeder. Like last year, I'll take the narrow road way down into Roncesvalles, rather than the trail. I've got a reservation already made at the alburgue; and I'll also have a hard copy of that confirmation. Last year, my son and I had some wonderful fellowship with other pilgrims at the pre-purchased pilgrim dinner. We also had some nice rapport with the couple who shared out cubicle space. It'll be both a bit of nostalgia and of missing having Caleb there at this stay.

Caleb and I ended Camino at Burgos last year; he, because of work schedules and me because of unwanted medical stuff. Caleb will meet me in Leon on October 5, and from there we will finish our Camino to Santiago together. Because I want to complete the entire Camino from St Jean, I will repeat some favorite sections that we did last year, and then I will walk the Camino from where we left off in Burgo all the way to Leon in time to meet Caleb.

I did make a few reservations ahead: in St Jean, at Roncesvalles, in Pamplona, and in Leon; mainly because I know where I want to stay in these locations. The other 14 days before Leon, I'm just playing it by ear. From Leon, my son and I will do like we did last year with regard to accommodations, and just go with the flow. With a commitment to staying flexible about things, finding a place to stay for the night just isn't a source of anxiety to either of us.

Well, that takes care of the logistics. It is much simpler this time around. My backpack is ready, and the stuff that I'll take is sitting all nice and cozy in a small storage tub. Estimated packing time: 10 minutes. Even though the total pack weight last year was just fine at about 4.5 kg, this year I am taking a 6 ounce GoPro and another 5 ounces of batteries, so I will be looking to cull some weight to make up for this add on.

Now I can relax about the 'how to get there' stuff, and just enjoy the pre-Camino anticipation. All the while I am keeping in mind that, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”

Sounds as if you will be on sound footing !! I will be way behind you as i plan to start on the 28th September and hope to say in Orisson the first night just to ease my way in . I have an 11 year old with me . She is the snazzy walker .

yea

Sounds as if you will be on sound footing !! I will be way behind you as I plan to start on the 28th September and hope to stay in Orisson the first night just to ease my way in. I have an 11 year old with me . She is the snazzy walker .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Wishing you a wonderful Camino, Davebugg! It looks like you already have many of your "ducks in a row" (provided God doesn't mess with your plans...lol). September will be here before you know it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back