• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel Barcelona to SJPP - via Canfranc?

odonnwp

Time of past OR future Camino
We're traveling from Barcelona to Zaragoza (to Start out CF from SJPP on Sept 8th). Instead of going to Pamplona and then on to SJPP, we were thinking of taking the train from Zaragoza thru Canfranc and into France. But, we are not sure how or if we can get to SJPP easily from Canfranc. Anyone have a thought on that?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You would need to go to Oloron Ste Marie, part of this is on a bus operated by the SNCF.
Then changes at Pau, Bayonne, and Cambo les Bains.
Not an easy journey. Or its a lovely, if strenuous walk from Oloron on a fairly hilly GR.
Why not start at Oloron or indeed Canfranc? Arles route, which joins the Frances at Puente la Reina or thereabouts.

So there is a regional train from Zaragoza to Canfranc Estacion twice a day. At that point, the tracks end and you’d have to take a bus over the Somport Pass to Oloron and points beyond.

If you are not dedicated to walking from SJPP, I’d highly encourage you to walk from Oloron on the last stages of the Arles and then follow the Aragon to Puente la Reina where it joins the Frances. If that’s too much, start at Estacion and walk from there. I think it’s actually a better route than the CF.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would agree it's a better route, the pass is a little higher, and apart from one road section a lovely walk. I suggest taking the bus past the fort unless you can do that section on a Sunday to avoid traffic.
There are actually quite a few good starting points along the way using the SNCF bus which replaces the train from Canfranc station to Oloron. It's well worth walking down from Somport to Canfranc. Which one you choose would depend on time available, the weather shouldn't be a problem in September but some accommodation might be closed. In 2019 most places that I stayed at had between six and twenty pilgrims each night in August.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid ChamartĂ­n early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Just a question. If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same alburgues as you did or try somewhere new?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back