• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim office website - security warning?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard that and enter the site the main screen no longer gives a count of today's arrivals. Just me or are other people finding the same problems?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard that and enter the site the main screen no longer gives a count of today's arrivals. Just me or are other people finding the same problems?

Idem!

Same here. It says the security certificate expired today. I doubt it's much to worry about.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sure they're inundated! Someone definitely dropped the ball.
Not the best time for it. Over 3,000 Compostelas yesterday and the same the day before. And now the pilgrim office want people to register via the website before visiting. Getting a big red security warning from your browser is probably not what a couple of thousand arriving pilgrims want to see...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just me or are other people finding the same problems?
Yes, same here. Safari informs that a certificate of the website expired on Sunday, 5 May 2024 at 01:59:59 Central European Summer Time.

Let's see how long it will take them to fix it ... it's Sunday today ... :cool:

Let's see how long it will take them to fix it ... it's Sunday today ... :cool:
There will probably be upwards of 2,000 people arriving today and wanting to register on the website. You can disregard the browser security warnings and enter the site. Though not everyone will know that or be happy to do so. Haven't tried the registration form myself. Perhaps today will be old-school with paper forms and queues up the street back to the Obradoiro. The good old days... :cool:

This year I noticed how fast the queue was moving.
Rather disappointed to see they are printing out the names on the compostela rather than writing them with ink. Personally I didn't mind waiting

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally I didn't mind waiting
For a reasonable length of time perhaps. There was a short period before Covid when waiting times to receive a Compostela could easily be three or four hours on the busiest of days. The pilgrim office introduced a queue system rather like the tickets at a supermarket deli counter. Take a numbered ticket, go away and return when your number was nearly at the top of the queue. A counter on the website gave the current number being processed. That at least meant people were not obliged to spend three hours in the street. Some might argue that the impersonal nature of the present system is a fair price to pay for speed and convenience. As I no longer ask for a Compostela it does not affect me personally.

Perhaps today will be old-school with paper forms and queues up the street back to the Obradoiro. The good old days... :cool:
When I checked a few minutes ago, the counter was on 876 Compostelas and now it is on 895 Compostelas. So some pilgrims will get their Compostelas today - some might not which was (albeit rarely) the case years ago on the good old peak days ... :cool:

Good to hear that things are moving there. Going to be another busy day if there are close on a thousand just after noon! I've been looking at the webcam a little before the Monte do Gozo and it is still very busy on the Camino there despite the weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Web certificates (TSL certificates) make a profitable business: they should be renewed from time to time. When the expiration date of a Web server has been reached, you receive such a warning.
When no money is involved, do not worry about it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The website of the Oficina del Peregrino is back to normal again on this Monday morning. The certificate that caused yesterday's browser notification is now valid for another year. It now says Expires: Monday, 5 May 2025 at 01:59:59 Central European Summer Time.

They have issued 537 Compostelas so far. It may not turn into a record day today. :cool:

BTW, you can see the validity of the certificate in question when you click on the🔒icon in your browser tab. i.e. the one that you see just before the text oficinadelperegrino.com. Or caminodesantiago.me for that matter. ☺️

The pilgrim office introduced a queue system rather like the tickets at a supermarket deli counter. Take a numbered ticket, go away and return when your number was nearly at the top of the queue. A counter on the website gave the current number being processed. That at least meant people were not obliged to spend three hours in the street. Some might argue that the impersonal nature of the present system is a fair price to pay for speed and convenience

In September 2019 many pilgrims were turned away as early as noon because the day's allotment of tickets had already been handed out. You could receive a number at noon, but your number may not be called until 4 pm or later. There were quite a few pilgrims with flights home the next day that were disappointed.

Yes, the new system is less personal, but it results in fewer disappointed pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good to hear that things are moving there. Going to be another busy day if there are close on a thousand just after noon! I've been looking at the webcam a little before the Monte do Gozo and it is still very busy on the Camino there despite the weather.
Can you paste a link for the webcam? I couldn’t find a working link with an online search.

Same here. It says the security certificate expired today. I doubt it's much to worry about.
They haven't paid yet. Its very common. In Spain and in the states. Not everyone keeps up with due dates for their security certificate.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

To anyone who just finished the Camino these past few days, or who will be finishing the Camino today or tomorrow: If you'll have finished the Camino by tomorrow night and if you'll be in...
Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back