• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Burgos to Biarritz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used train to San Sebastián, then bus. Bus for the latter segment seemed easier than the train connection at the border and since I had time in my schedule I enjoyed overnighting in San Sebastián.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
'Best' depends on your schedule. There is not frequent bus or train service from Burgos to San Sebastian or Irun. The ALSA and PESA bus service from San Sebastian to Biarritz is two or three buses daily (depending on season)

1 a. ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian. Plaza Pio XII.

1 b. ALSA bus or PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Biarritz and Biarritz Airport.

or,

1 c. Euskotren/Donostialda Metro from San Sebastian Amara (700 meters from Plaza Pio XII) to Hendaia. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye. (every half hour)

OR

2. Renfe train from Burgos to Irun/Hendaye. You may need to take the Donostialdea Metro from Irun Colon station (across the street from Irun Renfe station) to Hendaia.

and from Hendaye;

3. Transports64 bus #816 (Euskadi Express) from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz and Biarritz Airport. Some buses begin the route at Irun Renfe station. (hourly)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It depends on the schedules and your preferences, budget...

By bus:
  • Bus from Burgos to San Sebastián operated by Alsa (www.alsa.es/en).
  • And bus from San Sebastián (aka Donostia) to Biarritz (or Biarritz airport if you are heading to the airport) operated by either Alsa or Pesa (www.pesa.net). Take the one that connects better with your bus from Burgos.
By train:
  • Train from Burgos to Hendaye operated by RENFE (www.renfe.com).
  • Train from Hendaye to Biarritz operated by the SNCF (www.sncf.com).

There is not frequent bus or train service from Burgos to San Sebastian or Irun

There are 6 daily trains from Burgos to San Sebastián and to Irún (4 of them continue to Hendaye). And there are 5 daily buses from Burgos to San Sebastián and Irún except on Sundays when there are just 4. Up to each one to decide if that's frequent, scarce, something in between or as each one wants to consider it.

The ALSA and PESA bus service from San Sebastian to Biarritz is two or three buses daily (depending on season)

...except on summer (July and August and late June) that Alsa has 9 daily buses from San Sebastián to Biarritz and Pesa 6 on weekends and 7 the rest of the week what makes a total of 15 daily buses (minimum) between both cities. The rest of the year Alsa itself has 2 or 3 daily buses. Not sure how many has Pesa the rest of the year but you would add those ones to the Alsa ones.

It depends on the schedules and your preferences, budget...

By bus:
  • Bus from Burgos to San Sebastián operated by Alsa (www.alsa.es/en).
  • And bus from San Sebastián (aka Donostia) to Biarritz (or Biarritz airport if you are heading to the airport) operated by either Alsa or Pesa (www.pesa.net). Take the one that connects better with your bus from Burgos.
By train:
  • Train from Burgos to Hendaye operated by RENFE (www.renfe.com).
  • Train from Hendaye to Biarritz operated by the SNCF (www.sncf.com).

There are 6 daily trains from Burgos to San Sebastián and to Irún (4 of them continue to Hendaye). And there are 5 daily buses from Burgos to San Sebastián and Irún except on Sundays when there are just 4. Up to each one to decide if that's frequent, scarce, something in between or as each one wants to consider it.

...except on summer (July and August and late June) that Alsa has 9 daily buses from San Sebastián to Biarritz and Pesa 6 on weekends and 7 the rest of the week what makes a total of 15 daily buses (minimum) between both cities. The rest of the year Alsa itself has 2 or 3 daily buses. Not sure how many has Pesa the rest of the year but you would add those ones to the Alsa ones.
Is bus or train best? What companies?

Got the bus from Burgos to Bayonne le gare "what a nightmare" bus arrived in Burgos after midnight 02.00 hrs to be exact.

Do not take the bus from Burgos to Bayonne it might not pick you up and cost me 70 euros one way.

Go to San Sebastion and then onto Biarritz as discussed, just over an hour from san sebastion to Biarritz and a good timetable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back