• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to Lourdes

Angel-hart

Time of past OR future Camino
April, May 2016
Hi we are doing our Comino de Santiago spring of 2016. Coming into Paris (Louvre). I see that Lourdes (shrine) is also in the foothills of the Mountains close to SJPP. Anyone take this side trip? If so we would like ideas of how to get their and on to SJPP?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Angel. I have walked from Lourdes to Pamplona and it is a wonderful walk! We flew into Barcelona, then took a bus to Toulouse, then Moissac, then Lourdes. You can read about it on my blog starting at this link:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/05/from-barcelona.html

I would say it would be best to travel from Paris to Lourdes by train.
You might consider walking the Aragones instead of the Frances if you have the time.
Fewer people and BEAUTIFUL scenery, especially in Spring!

Buen Camino!

There are 5 or 6 trains from Paris to Lourdes per day, and the journey takes about 6 hours - you can get schedules and buy tickets on the SNCF website (although they only list tickets a month or so in advance). On the same website you can also get info about buses and trains to Saint JeanPP from Lourdes - although note they all take a detour via Bayonne!

Otherwise, as Annie suggests you could just walk it - the beautiful hiking trail 'Voie du Piemont' runs through the Pyrenees and crosses Lourdes and SJPP. You could stop off in Oloron Ste Marie and do the beautiful Via Aragones (I did this a few years ago, it was incredible), or even veer off before then at Arudy (as this person is doing at the moment: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/day-one-lourdes-to-asson.33318/#post-299666)

(As an aside: I had a very mixed experience at Lourdes: on one level it's almost like a theme park, with a Disneyesque cathedral, rows of tour buses offloading big groups wearing matching t-shirts, waving national flags, and taking selfies, souvenir shops everywhere, queues of people in wheelchairs or on stretchers, and groups frenetically filling up plastic bottles or even tubs with 'holy water' that comes out of a row of very ordinary-looking taps... However in the grotto itself there's an amazing atmosphere of silence and reverence... anyway wasn't quite sure what to make of the whole thing, best you come to your own conclusions!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi we are doing our Comino de Santiago spring of 2016. Coming into Paris (Louvre). I see that Lourdes (shrine) is also in the foothills of the Mountains close to SJPP. Anyone take this side trip? If so we would like ideas of how to get their and on to SJPP?

The way we did it was to fly from the U.S. To Madrid then one hour flight to Lourdes airport. Easier than another eight hour train ride from CDG airport in Paris.

Hi. I just arrived back from Santiago last night, walking form Leon this time with my young nephew.
Six years ago walked starting from Lourdes. I took the train from Paris. Plenty of choice: I came overnight and spent a night in Lourdes (where I had been many many times before). It depends if you want to spend a day there. I agree with Jan. A curious mix of Disney-Catholicism (I am a priest) and a very serious Eucharistic emphasis and a wonderful silence in the grotto and the "Domain". It depends what you are looking for.
It is a fantastic walk from Lourdes to SJPP. Very quiet and 'deserted': just five other people I met walking in a week. We met up each evening in the albergue. I carried on from Oloron St Marie up to SJPP. Would be interested to try the other route through Somport another time.
Just one word: it depends on your expectations. I had already walked Camino Frances. If from Lourdes to SJPP is your FIRST experience, you may find it not what you are expecting. It is VERY quiet. And really strange then coming into SJPP. It is like turning on to a pedestrian freeway as you meet the 'crowds' heading in from the Le Puy route.
If you are at all tempted, and you have the time (about 6 days), I would say walk from Lourdes to SJPP.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There are 5 or 6 trains from Paris to Lourdes per day, and the journey takes about 6 hours - you can get schedules and buy tickets on the SNCF website (although they only list tickets a month or so in advance). On the same website you can also get info about buses and trains to Saint JeanPP from Lourdes - although note they all take a detour via Bayonne!

Otherwise, as Annie suggests you could just walk it - the beautiful hiking trail 'Voie du Piemont' runs through the Pyrenees and crosses Lourdes and SJPP. You could stop off in Oloron Ste Marie and do the beautiful Via Aragones (I did this a few years ago, it was incredible), or even veer off before then at Arudy (as this person is doing at the moment: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/day-one-lourdes-to-asson.33318/#post-299666)

(As an aside: I had a very mixed experience at Lourdes: on one level it's almost like a theme park, with a Disneyesque cathedral, rows of tour buses offloading big groups wearing matching t-shirts, waving national flags, and taking selfies, souvenir shops everywhere, queues of people in wheelchairs or on stretchers, and groups frenetically filling up plastic bottles or even tubs with 'holy water' that comes out of a row of very ordinary-looking taps... However in the grotto itself there's an amazing atmosphere of silence and reverence... anyway wasn't quite sure what to make of the whole thing, best you come to your own conclusions!)

Thank You all for the input and valuable info. I know what you mean about Disneyesque atmosphere at a religious place of importance. We are planning for spring 2016. Louvre(Paris), Normandy, Lourdes are on the list so far. I have an Uncle buried in France who past in WWII during the Battle of the Bulge. I don't know yet if we'll go there.

I also liked the idea of flying into Madrid and flying to Lourdes. That could be benefical on the return home post Comino.

Thank you all for your comments

Rob

What is the best way to get to Lourdes from SJPdP and back. I would just want to spend a couple of days in Lourdes, then go back to SJPdP and walk the Camino. Not interested in walking to SJPdP from Lourdes.
Is it just train service, or do they have a bus as well?

What is the best way to get to Lourdes from SJPdP and back. I would just want to spend a couple of days in Lourdes, then go back to SJPdP and walk the Camino. Not interested in walking to SJPdP from Lourdes.
Is it just train service, or do they have a bus as well?

Transports64 offers bus service between SJPdP and Lourdes

810 from SJPdP to St Palais

809 from St Palais to Orthez (at which point you can catch the SNCF trains)

801 from Orthez to Pau

805 from Pau to Lourdes

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, okay. Thanks.
My understanding is that the train goes from SJPdP to Bayonne and then to Lourdes. That may be an easier option.

I'd consider the schedule to Orthez and try catching the train there (if only because the trains from Bayonne AND Dax pass through there) ... but otherwise the -autocar (bus)- that currently operates the SJPdP to Bayonne route seems the more practical option.

I'd consider the schedule to Orthez and try catching the train there (if only because the trains from Bayonne AND Dax pass through there) ... but otherwise the -autocar (bus)- that currently operates the SJPdP to Bayonne route seems the more practical option.
Yeah, that does sound most viable. Bus to Bayonne. Train to Lourdes. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...
I am catching an Alsa bus from asturias airport to Oviedo, then from Oviedo to Leon. I have bought the tickets online and was concerned about the short connection time in Oviedo. If I miss the...
Hello everyone! Due to my bad knees, I can't walk the Camino Santiago. Instead of going home, I have found that going from Albergue to Albergue to catch up with friends is the camino I have chose...
Hi all! I am currently on the Camino and running into an issue with my debit card. My bank is switching over all debit cards and deactivating the old ones. The card is being mailed to my house in...
Hello, I saw O Lagar de Jesus mentioned in a couple of threads. Looking for input about this place. It caught my eye because of the communal dinner and proximity to Padron. Some questions: 1)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back