• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Madrid to Ponferrada by train

Diane Kinney

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago May 21 to June 3, 2014
Ponferrada to Santiago September 2015
I am planning to make my second Camino in Sept 2015 with a group of colleagues. We have very limited time and decided we can walk from Ponferrada. We will be arriving in Madrid and plan to take the train but I have not yet been able to get information from Renfe. Does anyone know if there is a daily train to Ponferrada?
My second question is can you recommend any allergues that are not to be missed from Ponferrada to Santiago. I would especially like recommendations for Sarria and Portomarin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Currently there are three trains and a trenhotel each day. You can expect the schedule to continue, but you will not be able to buy tickets until closer to your travel date, probably in June.

Please recheck for your specific dates
Renefe Train- Madrid to Ponferrada
http://www.renfe.com
ticket price goes up as you get closer to departure date

04405 Intercity lvs 10.30a arrv 15.05 (3.05p) 4 h 35 min
04471 Intercity lvs 17.05 (5.05p) arrv 21.44 (9.44p) 4h 39
the third option is not as constant

Chamartin Train Station
North of Madrid, a few minutes walk north of Paseo de la Castellana It is on Line 10 of the Metro.
Chamartín is 6km from the airport.
Calle de Agustín de Foxá, 28036 Madrid (M)
tel: +34 902 24 02 02.

A couple of additions if interested:
Only stayed at one albergues so not qualified to comment, but should you look for non-albergue meals:
Lunch or Dinner - Thank you to the pilgrim who introduced us to La Fonda -
Spanish Family owned restaurant - up the stairs.
Plaza del Ayuntamiento, 10, 24401 Ponferrada, +34 987 42 57 94

In Portomarin - when we asked a local for dinner recommendation we were told only one place to recommend and O Mirador was a great meal. (Though an albergue as well.... we only ate at the restaurant).

In Sarria - the much talked about Matías Locanda Italiana on Rua Maior, 4 really deserves its terrific reputation. https://www.google.com/url?sa=D&oi=...3047e08875e9f5:0x94e16052ea9ce4ef?gl=US&hl=en

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back