• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles, and testing foot wear

Baltotrav

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 25 2019 - Oct 14 2019
Hello everyone, I will be walking the Camino Frances beginning October 6 2023. I was wondering about walking poles. Bought a pair at REI, watched videos and I believe I am using them correctly. That said, my hands, upper arms and shoulders are stiff after a few days consecutive use. I have/had Polymyalgia Rheumatica and can't tell if it is a flare up of that or from using poles. Anyone else have this stiffness/pain when you first starting using them? I have searched (many different ways) online and can't find information about any breaking in period of the arm etc when using poles.

One more question regarding foot ware, how long does one test a pair of trail runner, boots etc before returning to REI?

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One more question regarding foot ware, how long does one test a pair of trail runner, boots etc before returning to REI?

Once you can consistently walk about 10 miles in a day do that for at least 3 days in a row. This will show you if your chosen shoes/socks work for you, and what areas of your feet might blister so that you can use some preventative measures on those areas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, my hands and arms can be sore. Depends on how much I am gripping the poles.
That's one of the reasons why I like my Pacer Poles - you don't have to grip them really hard. In fact, your hand just rests in the ergonomic hand grip.

both-hands.jpg

Yes, but I have a pair of black diamond z poles I have had for 10 years or so and I like them and don't want to buy any new ones. It took some time to learn to use the wrist straps to keep me from gripping them so tightly. Pacer poles are nice, but I have these and as I move toward retirement I don't need more gear in my closet...

I always expect some shoulder and upper arm soreness in the first few days of a camino, even though I normally use poles almost every day as part of my walking regime. I expect if you might get the same effect if you haven't used poles before. If it's worrying you, it would be something to talk to a doctor or physio about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I didn’t use poles and did not regret my decision. It seemed more than half don’t so it isn’t a must. I found that some younger people used them to walk very fast and some others used if they had bad knees, but I would have found them cumbersome even though I own a pair and have used them for treacherous hikes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's one of the reasons why I like my Pacer Poles - you don't have to grip them really hard. In fact, your hand just rests in the ergonomic hand grip.

View attachment 145365

The strap on the underside of your wrist also allows a walker to have to grip harder. The strap is an important part of the gripping.

I didn’t use poles and did not regret my decision.

Same here. And many of those who do bring poles, leave them behind after a few days. If you're reasonably fit and avoid over-packing your backpack, poles are not necessary.
What I would give to be your ages again. Not using poles probably is fine for young joints. Although it never hurts to take preventative care. When you get to that third stage of life using poles can make a world of difference especially walking those really steep downhills that you find on all the different caminos. If you have healthy knees hips and ankles poles may not be necessary but they would help keep your joints healthy for the long run of life. (They also help big time when it is a driving rain and you are walking on some of the caminos famous rocky roads).

When it comes to REI. Remember take your time to decide you do have up to 1 year to return your trail runners
Once you can consistently walk about 10 miles in a day do that for at least 3 days in a row.
I am sure this is good advice from trecile. I have been wearing the same model Brooks Cascadias for all my caminos and do not remember how long it took for me to decide this is the pair for me. Unless you are walking in the dead of winter I do not personally believe you need boots. Trail runners work great and most can be taken right out of the box without a break in period. I have noticed that more people get blisters and more serious blisters overall from boots than from trail runners. Just my observation I have nothing but my eyes to back up my hypothesis. We all make our own decisions.

Hi, from personal experience, no matter if you workout or exercise, any time you use a different muscle group, ligaments and tendons your body will ache for a while. Is the same as training for a walk, you can train all you want, but it will take 3-4 days, and even more to get hiker legs as they call them. Cause all terrains are different! As for REI I think, they have a 100 days return policy, and like another Peregrino mentioned if you walk on the shoes for 10 miles with no issues you’re good to go. Personally I have tried Trail Runners and boots, and in flat terrain the trail runners were awesome, but in rocky hilly surface I twisted my ankle several times. I use trail runners when I hike in Florida, but if I go to the Appalachian Trail or any tough terrain I use my KEEN boots. I love them cause they are wide allowing the foot to swell and not constrained. Plus I don’t lace the first loop of the boots or trail runners, that also allows for expansion. Hope this helps, lots of great responses. BUEN CAMINO

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've walked the Camino with and without trekking poles. The first time I walked it with a pair of poles I bought in Puente de la Reina I had an experienced pilgrim, cross country skier and hiker show me how to use the poles correctly and I found they made a big difference for me. I personally wouldn't walk the Camino without them and they don't weigh that much. When I use them the first few days I experience somewhat sore hands, forearms and shoulders but that goes away after a few days as I strengthen up. That's another benefit I find in trekking poles, a bit of an upper body workout.
I certainly wouldn't take to gospel either opinion on the trekking poles as to whether to use them. We're all different. Take your trekking poles on several training walks and see for yourself. As far as footwear, you won't know if it's the right choice unless you wear them on several 10 kilometer walks.

Hello everyone, I will be walking the Camino Frances beginning October 6 2023. I was wondering about walking poles. Bought a pair at REI, watched videos and I believe I am using them correctly. That said, my hands, upper arms and shoulders are stiff after a few days consecutive use. I have/had Polymyalgia Rheumatica and can't tell if it is a flare up of that or from using poles. Anyone else have this stiffness/pain when you first starting using them? I have searched (many different ways) online and can't find information about any breaking in period of the arm etc when using poles.

As far as the poles go I found that when I used them vigorously I had shoulder issues but when I kept my arms in a natural swing with the poles I had less problems. Initial stiffness is normal

My wife and I, who recently turned 70, are on our first Camino. During our training hikes, she resisted using poles and said she might use one but not both. Now that we have been on Camino del Norte for a week, she (and I) realize that using both poles is a necessity for the long distances we are going and the steep inclines and declines. We are both experiencing some upper arm and shoulder fatigue but expect that to alleviate soon as we continue getting conditioned.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, from personal experience, no matter if you workout or exercise, any time you use a different muscle group, ligaments and tendons your body will ache for a while. Is the same as training for a walk, you can train all you want, but it will take 3-4 days, and even more to get hiker legs as they call them. Cause all terrains are different! As for REI I think, they have a 100 days return policy, and like another Peregrino mentioned if you walk on the shoes for 10 miles with no issues you’re good to go. Personally I have tried Trail Runners and boots, and in flat terrain the trail runners were awesome, but in rocky hilly surface I twisted my ankle several times. I use trail runners when I hike in Florida, but if I go to the Appalachian Trail or any tough terrain I use my KEEN boots. I love them cause they are wide allowing the foot to swell and not constrained. Plus I don’t lace the first loop of the boots or trail runners, that also allows for expansion. Hope this helps, lots of great responses. BUEN CAMINO
Here is the REI return policy. Hope this helps you for your future purchases there

Hiking poles may not be necessary for some--at 82, they pretty much are for me on rough terrain or descents--however, it has been shown that they take significant stress off the lower body. To get the full effect of that, you need to use two of them. I have never had pain from using them, but maybe you are gripping them too hard? If you get tired of using them, carry them on your pack (or fold them). Mine weigh a pound, less than a lot of non-essential things I have seen others carrying. As far as miles on my trail runners, I have never kept track, I just tend to get a new pair every year--and I definitely walk more than 500 trail miles in a year. REI's policy is generally one year -- exceptions include items you bought used. https://www.rei.com/help/returns?

Hiking poles may not be necessary for some--at 82, they pretty much are for me on rough terrain or descents--however, it has been shown that they take significant stress off the lower body. To get the full effect of that, you need to use two of them. I have never had pain from using them, but maybe you are gripping them too hard? If you get tired of using them, carry them on your pack (or fold them). Mine weigh a pound, less than a lot of non-essential things I have seen others carrying. As far as miles on my trail runners, I have never kept track, I just tend to get a new pair every year--and I definitely walk more than 500 trail miles in a year. REI's policy is generally one year -- exceptions include items you bought used. https://www.rei.com/help/returns?
People actually return things after one year? Wow, that's like eating 3/4 of a meal and asking the waiter for a refund because you didn't like it. :D
I don't think I'd feel right returning something after I'd worn it for a week lol.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, but I have a pair of black diamond z poles I have had for 10 years or so and I like them and don't want to buy any new ones. It took some time to learn to use the wrist straps to keep me from gripping them so tightly. Pacer poles are nice, but I have these and as I move toward retirement I don't need more gear in my closet...
I found that correct use of the wrist straps was necessary and sufficient to keep me from gripping the poles too tightly.

Colin Fletcher (The Complete Walker) pointed out that using a stick turned him from an unsteady biped into a stable triped. That was back in the 1960s, before walking poles were invented. Two walking poles turn you into a really, really stable quadruped. I’ve walked 3,000 miles of caminos and camminos and they have prevented many a stumble, probably several falls. Especially down steep hills it is nice to have a pole or two firmly planted when you talk a big step. I train without them a lot to develop balance, but wouldn’t walk a camino without them.

Have you considered rubber tips for poles? They may offer a additional cushioning to buffer against upper body. I find the rubber tips really soften the sound of poles hitting rocks. I did some test hikes here in SF Bay are and found gloves were needed to keep area between thumb and index finger from blistering. Though this may not address what you're asking perhaps testing out this combo to see if offers any improvement?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, my hands and arms can be sore. Depends on how much I am gripping the poles.
Actually you should not be gripping the poles. Look up on YouTube on how to use hiking poles. It's actually the straps that should be doing the work/gripping. I love hiking poles. Not just for the safety factors, but also exercising my arms and lessening the work that my legs/ankles have to do.

Have you considered rubber tips for poles? They may offer a additional cushioning to buffer against upper body. I find the rubber tips really soften the sound of poles hitting rocks.
I always use the rubber tips on my poles, I don't want to annoy other people or myself with the click clack of poles.

Good advice already. Rubber tips, poles with a bit of spring in them, correct use of wrist straps, check in with doctor or physical etc.
That said, expect a bit of soreness as the reason for the poles is to distribute your weight and effort across four points (arms and legs) instead of two (just legs).
However in the few videos I have seen on correct use of poles for hiking I have not see the Nordic Walking way suggested. I use this method in the flat - with the correct use of wrist straps you don’t even need to really grip the poles. But you do use all the muscles in your arms. I then use the usual suggested methods for up and down hills.
If you have some underlying problems the poles can exacerbate this. My usual suggestion for most body related questions is to check in with the experts - physio, health practitioners and in this case a reliable trekking shop where an expert can assess the way you use poles.
Buen camino ❤️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.