• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Sisters from US starting Frances in June

CatherineAnn

CF summer 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino Frances (2016)
Hi everyone!

I read the email thread and the forum has become something I look forward to everyday. Thank you to all who have gone before and are willing to share your experience and advice.

My sister and I are starting in Leon around the middle of June. We are both up there in years and will be taking our time and enjoying the journey.

I feel very fortunate to have miles of trails near my house to train on in the fabulous Rocky Mountain foothills.

As soon as we have our plane tickets and dates set for sure, I will post our dates on the calendar. I am getting nervous that plane fares will go up because of fuel costs. Who knew it was going to cost and arm and a leg to get to Europe? :shock:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
CatherineAnn,

Keep checking the economy fare folks, such as Kayak. They will check out the top travel groups: Expedia, Cheaptics, etc. You can also ask for emails sent direct to you when there are "short term" sales and specials.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
CatherineAnn,

Keep checking the economy fare folks, such as Kayak. They will check out the top travel groups: Expedia, Cheaptics, etc. You can also ask for emails sent direct to you when there are "short term" sales and specials.

Buen Camino

Arn
I agree. I first went from the UK to the States about 20 years ago and sometimes still see similar fares quoted now, despite the oil prices. Shop around and you'll get a bargain if you're imaginative and/or are willing to spend a night in Amsterdam, Paris, Vienna etc. All good places to be!

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A night in London is frightfully expensive. At least that is how I found it. What I saved on the discount Air Fare I spent in London.

Back to your journey with your sister. Leon to Santiago is a terrific section to walk if you only have 2 weeks of walking plus travel days.

As for training, some do it, some don't. I believe in it. For strength, walk with your backpack filled, and walk up stairs or hills. If you have a 20 storey building near by, walk up the stairs two or three times, but slowly, one step at a time. For endurance, go on 6 to 8 hour walks. Don't expect to be able to climb 60 flights of stairs or walk for 8 hours right away. Build up to it.

Describing yourself as "up there in years", you will fit right in. The majority of the pilgrims are middle aged. On my Camino I met a French woman who was 82 years old. She was plodding along. Not in a hurry. A very peaceful person.

Having decided to walk the Camino, your camino has already started. The next couple months of preparation are part of the journey.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

skilsaw said:
A night in London is frightfully expensive. At least that is how I found it. What I saved on the discount Air Fare I spent in London.
Agreed. It can be, especially hotel prices. The way you can make it work for you is to avoid staying in London itself.
1) Arrive Heathrow
2) Bus to Stansted
3) Stay at a hotel near Stansted (much cheaper than London proper)
4) Ryanair to Biarritz (as little as ÂŁ50 one way)

Buen Camino!

It's my understanding that going through London is quite expensive. I'm going to fly to Madrid from Dallas, as the taxes or additional surcharge moneys are $400 -600 US dollars on top of the price of tickets flying from London.
Does anyone have more information on the additional charges paid from London?
Thank you,
Bozzie

tyrrek said:
skilsaw said:
Agreed. It can be, especially hotel prices. The way you can make it work for you is to avoid staying in London itself.
1) Arrive Heathrow
2) Bus to Stansted
3) Stay at a hotel near Stansted (much cheaper than London proper)
4) Ryanair to Biarritz (as little as ÂŁ50 one way)

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bozzie said:
It's my understanding that going through London is quite expensive. I'm going to fly to Madrid from Dallas, as the taxes or additional surcharge moneys are $400 -600 US dollars on top of the price of tickets flying from London.

Hi Bozzie.

My post just related to the onward expense of going through London if you were offered a very good deal on a long haul flight. I'm not at all suggesting that it's usually the best travel option.

Costs are complex and vary, but can be reduced by booking in advance on the internet. I just searched on a random date of 15th May. ÂŁ1=$1.60US. The cost would be:
Bus from Heathrow to Stansted: ÂŁ25
Travelodge Hotel at Bishops Stortford/Stansted: ÂŁ29
Plane fare to Biarritz the following day: Approx ÂŁ50 (ÂŁ22 plus baggage and booking fee)
There would be other incidentals such as taxis (hotel-airport) and food, obviously.

So it's possible to get on towards SJPP reasonably cheaply, and have a night to get over the transatlantic leg of the journey. One night in a central London hotel would probably cost the total outlined above!

Buen Camino!

Also, consider "open jaw" or multiple city routes.
You can fly into Madrid...walk the Camino then return thru SDC, back to Madrid, or Paris, or London.
Many options in how to get the most from your Camino.

Arn

Thank you for the information everyone. :D

I will check out arriving and leaving through different cities and see what I can come up with. I have signed up for Kayak's email alert which are helpful. I will sign up for other cities and see what happens.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
CatherineAnn said:
I will check out arriving and leaving through different cities and see what I can come up with.
My wife and I live in Costa Rica and have crossed the ocean for Spain and the Camino 5 times over the past years. We found that the earlier we booked, the more economical the flights were, compared to a few months later.
We have a time difference of 8 hours with Spain, plus well over 11 hours of air travel. In our experience it doesn't pay to cut corners and risk overnight stays on the way. A few extra dollars to travel comfortably on such long journeys are worthwhile investing.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back