• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

“Un Pianista En El Camino”. Classical Spanish Music in the Camino

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
OK, this may be a long shot, but here it goes:

Any musicians out there familiar with Spanish piano repertoire?

I’m a devoted, obsessed amateur classical pianist, in particular I’ve explored works by Spanish composers like Albeniz, Granados, de Falla, all of whom used folk tunes in their compositions. Although I’m a native Spanish speaker, I’m not a Spaniard, so I’m not all that familiar with the various musical forms in Spain, particularly from classical times. I’m more familiar with pop music from the 70s because of movies and traveling singers, but when trying to learn some of the Spanish classics, I want to have an idea of the real thing. For example, when I play a “Jota”, am I capturing correctly the nuances, the spirit of this dance form?

Since i”m going to be walking in Spain, I would like to find out about live folk music events. It might help me with my interpretation. Too bad I cant’ carry my piano in the backpack, but I would love to play something like Albeniz’s “Navarra”…IN Navarra… if I could find a piano somewhere.

I’m not a professional musician, just a devoted amateur, and I’m aware my musical efforts may not be appreciated, and I don’t expect to find a piano in an albergue (even if there are any, by the time I get to it, I would have missed too many days of practicing to be able to play well). I guess i’ll just need a piano fix!

Also: I’m not a singer, but I would love to connect with others that are familiar with some of the pop songs and sing along the camino. There are also some traditional songs from the Tunas that I heard while growing up, and I would love to get back in touch with that aspect of Spanish culture.

I’m including a few videos of me playing some of this repertoire. Some of the recordings are old, they may be lengthy, but they might give you an idea of my musical interests and passions, and why this is so important to me. Maybe there’s other musicians out there?

Just in case: I’m not profiting from any of these videos! They are being shared “por amor al arte” (for love of the art).

Rondalla Aragonesa by Enrique Granados
Old recording (2010), sorry for the poor audio quality I was new to You Tube. I also look much younger LOL

Rondeña, from the Iberia Suite by Isaac Albeniz, who died in Cambo-Les-Baines shortly after finishing the 12 pieces from Iberia (Rondeña is #4 of the set)

Aragonesa, from Cuatro Piezas Españolas, by Manuel de Falla

Quejas, O La Maja y El Ruiseñor. (Complaints, or the Maiden and the Nightingale) from the “Goyescas” Suite, by Enrique Granados
Interesting note is that this was the inspiration for the pop song “Bésame Mucho”. You might recognize it after the lengthy, dreamy introduction)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love meeting people who are passionate about something! My son joined the entomological society at age 7 (next youngest member was 60 years older!!) and although I didn't particularly care for bugs, some of the expeditions with them were the MOST fascinating because of the humans' enthusiasm.
Thank you for sharing your passion and curiosity.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Enter the classical music festivals as a player. Granada or Huesca. You should get a performance slot. That kind of event could mean getting a slot at an unfortunate time, and having little audience. But your name is there on the list.

Then hang out and meet other players. See where it takes you. Many festivals seem to be in June/July to coincide with the end of the academic year. So you could attend several on a short trip.

I sang tenor in a variety of choirs in the UK. My last venture was the Russian classical and art songs. Which meant a limited audience and performances. Great fun, but one needs more for the woodshedding required.

What would you suggest for Spanish classical art songs?

Walking your camino, you will probably come open an occasional piano along the way in a bar or albergue, most likely a warbly, out out of tune one with a few dud notes. House guitars are far more common. But not everyone appreciates other's music, and it's not always the time or place or company.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @HBS60
...you might have fun with the music of Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757) ....a Knight of the Order of Santiago (1738). I love tinkering with his keyboard sonates...

Domenico Scarlatti was a music master to Princess Maria Barbara of Portugal who became Queen of Spain in 1729.

Most of D. Scarlatti's 555 keyboard sonatas were composed in Madrid. Iberian folk harmonies sometimes emerge from the frivolity and also the sounds of spanish guitar...

Here's the score of one of my favourites: D. Scarlatti. Sonate in C Mj. K 159

...played by Ivo Pogorelich

Buen camino!

Send an inquiry to the tourist offices in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, and Leon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry I haven’t kept up with this thread, I’ve been trying to work out travel plans, logistics, and…taxes.
Thanks for the suggestions of the Tourist offices, i didn’t think of that! About Scarlatti: there was a PBS special about a year ago and his Sonata in D minor can easily be thought as a predecesor of Flamenco.
The piano discussion thread was wonderful, and checking out churches seems like a good idea. There is so much musical culture I want to explore!

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.