• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live folk music by locals?

Time of past OR future Camino
2023: a bit of CF, then San Salvador & Primitivo
I am wondering if anyone has any tips for finding out about small gatherings of local folks playing live (folk, traditional) music in towns along the Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo that I might tap into. I am NOT a musician, but I will be missing my circle of friends who play roots/old time/bluegrass and It would be so sweet to be able to attend small gatherings of local folks who sit around and play traditional music. Do I just ask the Hospitalera for tips? Is this something that typically happens after all good pilgrims are in bed? Music is the universal language and local/roots/traditional music is such a great way to make friends with locals.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am wondering if anyone has any tips for finding out about small gatherings of local folks playing live (folk, traditional) music in towns along the Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo that I might tap into.
I can only speak for rural Portugal, not Spain, but at least in Ptgl it seems most often that kind of group generally plays for community occasions like Saint's Days, town festas, etc. I get the impression that they're pretty private about jamming. Cafés are more likely to have the football game on in the afternoon or evening, rather than live music.

So keeping an eye on local posters, or perhaps an online version, if available, of the community news in the area you're walking through, might be a good way of finding this kind of gathering. And more likely to happen on weekends than during the week--everybody works pretty hard, and often a second job if available, so weekday evenings tend to be family time. And remember that unmarried youngish people tend to be living with their family more than is typical in North America.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am wondering if anyone has any tips for finding out about small gatherings of local folks playing live (folk, traditional) music in towns along the Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo that I might tap into. I am NOT a musician, but I will be missing my circle of friends who play roots/old time/bluegrass and It would be so sweet to be able to attend small gatherings of local folks who sit around and play traditional music. Do I just ask the Hospitalera for tips? Is this something that typically happens after all good pilgrims are in bed? Music is the universal language and local/roots/traditional music is such a great way to make friends with locals.
I've encountered live traditional music sessions in Bilbao, Santander, Gijon & Llanes on the Norte; Mieres on the Salvador, Oviedo & Lugo on the Primitivo; Potes on the Lebaniego and in Santiago itself. Along the Frances, nothing I can recall bar the odd Albergue sing-song

Pays Basque, Asturias and Galicia have strong folk traditions and are where you are more likely to enjoy those moments of serendipity

Bilbao, Santander, Gijon & Llanes on the Norte; Mieres on the Salvador, Oviedo & Lugo on the Primitivo
Well, those are great tips! As it happens, I am flying into Bilbao and spending one night there. After a short stretch of the Frances from Logroño to Leon, I'll be walking the San Salvador and the Primitivo. I'm hoping to take extra/long days in Lugo and/or Oviedo, so hopefully I will luck into some traditional music there. And I will look more closely at Mieres as well. Thanks a ton.

In a bar in Fromista there was a flamenco guitarist, it was wonderful! The locals were doing Palmas and singing, a few of us even danced! Last year in Finesterre there was a band on the street, crazy fun music!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't forget the TUNA band in the Prala Obradoiro every night at 10pm under the arches.

I think you will also find quite a few buskers depending on the time of year in Santiago. There is usually a gaita/bagpipe player as you come down the steps to the front of the Cathedral and around the old town there were various folks playing music around outdoor dining areas. Yes, the TUNA band is really fun to experience, too.

We also experienced a Flamenco show in Santiago at one of the bars with music, singing, and dancing. Very serious stuff and a standing room only crowd in the back room of the bar. In another town between Ponferrada and Villafranca de Birzo we passed by a Gaita school. Another really fun thing is when there is a guitar in the albergue and pilgrims will often play and sing together. That happened often in the albergues where we have served and also stayed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
San Roman, June 2014 (on the Primitivo)...he just appeared and started playing...magic

IMG_1823.JPG

I am not much fun on this, as I tend to follow jazz. Keep an eye out for Luar na Lubre, a very succesful Galician Celtic music band, as they frequently do gigs in Galicia and northern Spain. Santiago is a town of students and young people and I have seen semi-traditional bands and dances set up in the city, such as in the Praza de Feixoo. At a nearby bar, accompanied by a German handball captain and an Australian wine merchant (hola Adrienne!), I wandered into a performance by TéCanela, who energized three really really exhausted pilgrims that night. At our reunion three years later Ariadna Rubio's voice rang out from a cabin in the Blue Mountains near Blackheath a month ago, cheering up local marsupials.

If you hit a fiesta, there will be dancing in the streets, but you cannot always count on the music being folklorico. In Lugo I was witness to about 400 senior citizens (I lost count after 300) swingdancing in the main square.

In the way of Spain, ask the hospitalera, ask the bartender, ask a young waiter or waitress, maybe even the Guardia Civil!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back