• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Uncertain Newbie

Relborg58

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Good day fellow pilgrims, I am.doing my 1st ever camino frances next year from late March to mid April, starting at Burgos. My question mainly relates to expected weather that time of the year. Is presume cold and wet? So need to pack extra warm/thermal layerings? Please share some advice so that I can prepare properly. Gracias

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good day fellow pilgrims, I am.doing my 1st ever camino frances next year from late March to mid April, starting at Burgos. My question mainly relates to expected weather that time of the year. Is presume cold and wet? So need to pack extra warm/thermal layerings? Please share some advice so that I can prepare properly. Gracias
You’re from South Africa? It’ll be relatively cold. Be prepared for rain.

Everyone does this for a ‘first time’ and even those experienced participate in debate about weather.

Many posts and threads here related to weather with just as many questions like yours.
Unfortunately NOBODY can predict the weather!!!! You can get the best possible advice based on folks experience.... and JUST WITH YOUR LUCK, it will be a 'different situation' the season you walk!

I would say - take anything that you can layer and yes, be prepared for rain. Even if you started smack in the middle of summer during the hottest\driest month(s) it is almost a guarantee that it WILL rain in Galicia (but then.... see my sentence # 3 above ;))

Good luck planning and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although you didn't ask, the last week in March 2024 is Semana Santa, and Easter is that Sunday. Accommodations may be scarce.

Although you didn't ask, the last week in March 2024 is Semana Santa, and Easter is that Sunday. Accommodations may be scarce.
@Relborg58, this is an excellent point - I walked during Semana Santa this year, and 90% of the pilgrim’s were Spanish. Practically the entire country has the week off - supermarkets etc are still open- but do be aware that many take the opportunity to walk during this time. Plus of course holiday makers fill the hotels etc. Nothing to be freaked out by, but definitely something to be aware of.
Clothing - as above. Layers!! I had everything from frost to 25 degrees.

Semana Santa in Spain is wonderful! Google "Semana Santa (name of place you're passing)" and you'll get information about all the processions etc. You should also ask in the tourist offices you pass about the places you will pass in the next few days.

Just don't be shocked at the people in hoods - they are Nazarenos, not Ku Klux Klan...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This may be true, but even knowing this, I am not a fan of those KKK "look a like" hoods and find the processions disturbing, although I have only seen a few videos.
Yes it is a shame that thanks to Hollywood we automatically associate the Nazarenos costumes with the Ku Klux Klan. Apparently prior to the first movie in 1915 Ku Klux Klan members did not have a uniform per se.
Because I had no idea that Semana Santa even existed, I was initially shocked and then delighted to view the processions. I educated myself by speaking to members of the public nearby - the youngsters were more than happy to practice their English thank goodness ! A couple of them had even actively participated in the procession the year prior, and they all had friends amongst those parading past. Their obvious pride in what is clearly an important part of their religious culture was wonderful to see and experience.

Layers are your friend. Don't bring a heavy bulky jacket as it is hard to pack and carry when not wearing it.
As others have stated, the weather can be extremely variable that time of year. I've walked 6 out of my 8 Caminos in your time frame and only on on one did I encounter heavy rain and snow.
Make sure you have a knitted ski hat and warm gloves. Keeping your head and hands warm tends to keep the rest of you warmer. I prefer a rain poncho to a rain suit. Quicker to get on and off and less like a sauna suit.
Even on cooler mornings you will likely find that after 15 to 30 minutes of walking you will shed layers as the exertion of hiking will get you warmed up.
But mainly, don't get too worked up about the weather..you don't always have to comfortable to be having fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want to judge for yourself, here's a page with historical weather data for a late-March start on the Frances. It's pretty comfortable walking weather for most, but I suppose that if you're used to South African temperatures, you might find it chilly.
I love this chart!!! Buen Camino app? I didn't know it could pull that type of info.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best advice I got was to pack so that when it’s coldest you are wearing everything: short sleeve, long sleeve, fleece/lightweight puffer and rain jacket/poncho. When you’re walking you will warm up. I always end up stripping down to my base layer pretty quickly. Yesterday I was hiking in sub 10C in a long sleeve quick dry tee having shed a puffer and a fleece.
The evenings are the coldest when you’re sitting around post walk. That’s when the extra layers are really needed!
But be prepared for heat, too! Your base layer should be as light as possible.

I will be starting the CF on the last day of March or first day of April.
I have looked at the temps and daylight, but don't see anything on the wind. Does anyone know about a reference on that data, or have personal experience?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be starting the CF on the last day of March or first day of April.
I have looked at the temps and daylight, but don't see anything on the wind. Does anyone know about a reference on that data, or have personal experience?
Are you asking for a forecast of the wind? Look the day before you start walking.

If you are asking for historical data https://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos will provide but it will be of little practical use. The air around our planet moves in ways that even our most well programmed super-computers cannot predict beyond a few hours ahead. Indeed by the time the computation has completed the situation will have changed.

If you are starting your camino from St Jean pied de Porte then ask the Pilgrims Office for the current forecast the night before you depart

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.