• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unfortunate wannabe pilgrim

Xerxes

Time of past OR future Camino
October (2018)
I would dearly love to do the Camino, one of the long ones, but unfortunately I am from India and the on-again-off-again COVID scenario is frightening, I am a very fit 68 years old but am worried.
Also from India for a Spanish visa I need to give a very specific itineray, hotel stay each night etc.
In sum I can only read, I don't think I will do the Compostela de Santiago.
But I continue to hope.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Xerxes - don't give up. Covid will pass. You could ask for the aid of a Catholic priest where you live. You could write a clear letter to their embassy explaining how you want to go to Spain to be a pilgrim and therefore a specific itinerary is impossible. Or indeed, make an itinerary of day stages you can do and refugios you would then stay in (it is not as if you will be followed by someone checking up on where you sleep :)) .

Spain is a Catholic country so a Spanish embassy or consulate will be in close contact with the Catholic church, will probably have a priest or chaplain on their staff, if so, find out who that is and enlist their aid.

Write to Pope Francis asking for help.

Don't give up.

Last edited:
I would dearly love to do the Camino, one of the long ones, but unfortunately I am from India and the on-again-off-again COVID scenario is frightening, I am a very fit 68 years old but am worried.
Also from India for a Spanish visa I need to give a very specific itineray, hotel stay each night etc.
But I continue to hope.
Xerxes,
This earlier thread may help you find a way. Wherever/whenever/however you do travel stay safe and Carpe diem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great advice from David and Margaret, Keep walking regularly and do contact the Catholics in your area. Cardinal Suenens who was one of the leading light of Vatican ll, used to say "Blessed are those who dream dreams and work hard to make their dreams come true."
So do keep on trying. I am 78 and am just looking at flights trying to combine my time of volunteering in Santiago with walking the Camino and fitting it all in between family commitments here at home.
Buen Camino

But I continue to hope.
you say with one breath " I don't think I will do" and then " I continue to hope". Cut out the thinking bit and carry on hoping :) I will be 84 in July and haven't been to Spain since my 80th, thanks to Brexit, pandemics, deformities, infirmities, lack of funds et al: My flight is booked for 19th April, from Bristol. I cant believe that four years have gone into the making but one minute I am weary of the whole bloody thing and the next I cant sleep for thinking of it:) My sleeping bag is hanging up getting an airing in my bedroom and having been involved for almost 20 years I should be able to pack and be gone in the twinkling of an eye ! The good one that is :) XERXES is a very powerful name. Live up to it! Walk soft and stay safe but sometimes you have to take a leap.

Buen Camino!

Samarkand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2017 I walked with a guy from India who was on his second Camino, so it can be done!
I remember that he was an author. This is one of his books.

Xerxes - don't give up. Covid will pass. You could ask for the aid of a Catholic priest where you live. You could write a clear letter to their embassy explaining how you want to go to Spain to be a pilgrim and therefore a specific itinerary is impossible. Or indeed, make an itinerary of day stages you can do and refugios you would then stay in (it is not as if you will be followed by someone checking up on where you sleep :)) .

Spain is a Catholic country so a Spanish embassy or consulate will be in close contact with the Catholic church, will probably have a priest or chaplain on their staff, if so, find out who that is and enlist their aid.

Write to Pope Francis asking for help.

Don't give up.

A minor corrective; Spain is legally and constitutionally a sectarian state. While they have military and prison chaplaincies, to my knowledge there are no embassy chaplains-- it's similar to the US and other countries in that manner. Embassies are usually in contact with Spanish clergy in the area, so a Spanish priest in the capital will almost certainly be in regular contact.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But I continue to hope.
I have a lady from India in my Anniewalkers group this year.
It is not easy but it can be done.
If you go with a group, most will provide the Itinerary you need for your VISA.
I do it.
I know Syl from Amawalkers also will provide the list.
I imagine the others would too.
Best of luck and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.