• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unsettling Experience with Strangers at Hostel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainelyStina

Chronic Overpacker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPP Starting Aug 21, 2023
Last night was a rough night. There were people partying in the street all night and still this morning after I left... Fireworks shot off at midnight. It was impossible to sleep. People were coming into the hostel after midnight, shining their flashlights all around.

This morning, as I was leaving, I walked out the back of my hostel. There were two individuals, looking like pilgrims, locked in the back garden of the Hostel. They had backpacks and headlamps. As I exited, the man started yelling at me in a language I don’t speak, before switching to English. He was telling me to let him in. I told him I didn’t think I should. The truth is, I have no idea who these people were, or what their intentions were. I don’t know if they were lost pilgrims, or people up to something else? The man jumped up on the back gate, and proceeded to threaten me. Saying, if he found me… Though, he never finished the sentence. He and the woman he was with kept telling me my attitude was not right. I checked the gate and it was locked. But they demanded I let them in to the patio. Which, ultimately I did. But I don’t feel good about it. Yeah, I felt more scared of being threatened in the dark. I’m a woman traveling by myself at the moment. And it was just pretty scary. And now I’m worried about potential consequences of my actions. Notably, that there were pilgrims still sleeping upstairs. And that my backpack was sitting in the hallway waiting to be transferred this morning. I’m hoping no harm comes to anyone or anything.

By the way, for context, I work in a government building. And we’re very big on not allowing people in when they shouldn’t be. So, maybe I am overly sensitive about such things.

I walked out feeling very upset. I found four members of the Guardia Civil down the road directing traffic. I tried to report the incident, but nobody spoke English, and they sent me on my way. So, I continued walking.

I can’t say that I like the Camino very much this morning. I have a long walk ahead of me, I am hoping I can put this behind me. But what a truly terrible way to start a Sunday morning.

To the mods: I’m not entirely sure where this belongs, so please feel free to move if needed.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You need to add AlertCops and Google Translate to your phone so you can communicate in such an emergency. Sorry you suffered through this. What city?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Where was the emergency ?
The emergency (your italics) was two-fold: the couple‘s behaviour was very aggressive, with the man actually threatening her; and she was intimidated by them into letting these people (of whom she had no idea of their legitimacy) into the building where other pilgrims were sleeping, and where people’s belongings were accessible

Sorry you had to go through this. Those of us that have been on several caminos probably all have stories of that sort. How about this: woke up at midnight to the sound of fighting in the courtyard of the albergue. It turned out to be 3 hospitaleros fighting. One had returned back to the albergue - drunk out of his skull and wanted a bigger part of the pilgrim money. A french pilgrim called guardia civil and their hands on approach was exactly what was needed. One drunk idiot arrested.
Just remember - these things happens, also back home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry you had to go through this. Those of us that have been on several caminos probably all have stories of that sort. How about this: woke up at midnight to the sound of fighting in the courtyard of the albergue. It turned out to be 3 hospitaleros fighting. One had returned back to the albergue - drunk out of his skull and wanted a bigger part of the pilgrim money. A french pilgrim called guardia civil and their hands on approach was exactly what was needed. One drunk idiot arrested.
Just remember - these things happens, also back home.
Very true

The emergency (your italics) was two-fold: the couple‘s behaviour was very aggressive, with the man actually threatening her; and she was intimidated by them into letting these people (of whom she had no idea of their legitimacy) into the building where other pilgrims were sleeping, and where people’s belongings were accessible
The emergency is like priority: if everything becomes "high priority", there are no more priorities. If everything because "emergency", there are no more emergencies.
Nobody have been hurted, correct ? It was only a matter to prevent 2 people to go inside a building ?
Before calling for an emergency, please, always have in mind than while the rescue teams are taking your emergency into account, there could be a more a more serious emergency which is waiting for them...

The emergency is like priority: if everything becomes "high priority", there are no more priorities. If everything because "emergency", there are no more emergencies.
Nobody have been hurted, correct ? It was only a matter to prevent 2 people to go inside a building ?
Before calling for an emergency, please, always have in mind than while the rescue teams are taking your emergency into account, there could be a more a more serious emergency which is waiting for them...
Guardian Civil police are not the same as rescue teams. Guardian Civil look into petty crimes, right? it’s important not to seem to belittle the genuine concerns of someone, in this case the OP. I don’t want to get into a back-and-forth about this, but if people feel intimidated into not approaching the local police representatives (in any country) about a genuine concern they have, that isn’t necessarily going to work out well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As with all but one response on this post I am sorry you went through this. Also sorry for the tactless response you received from one individual.

If I were a solo traveller I believe I would have handled this situation exactly as you did. Once you are threatened I believe your priority has to be your own safety right in that moment and getting yourself to safety. That is what you did and no one, oncluding yourself, should ask for more than that

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OP all your instincts were right on, and I'm so sorry you experienced this situation. If you haven't already, install google translate and see if you can locate the Guardia Civil. You have all the information you need (time and place, probably a good description of the couple). That sort of behavior is very suspect.

Then treat yourself to a lovely beverage of choice, and maybe find a buddy or two in the coming days if you still feel shaky. And keep walking. ;)

Last edited:
Where was the emergency ?

Though I told myself not to react on the forum for a while aside from the picturesthreads , I can't leave this one alone.

Alertcops definition on their website :

If you are a victim or witness of a risk situation, you may contact through the chat or send us photos and videos. You will get immediate attention from the Law Enforcement Agencies.

Seems to me this was a risk situation.

I am pretty sure that the person manning the callcentre has enough professional knowledge to dispatch the caller to the right services

Your remark is not constructive.

@MainelyStina : where was this place? And all the best to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Stina, the hospis have probably arrived by now, so I'd give them a ring and let them know there was a couple trying to get in early this morning.
Also, if these two are actual pilgrims, they'll probably be on the same route as you today and subsequent days. So just as a precaution I'd walk with or stay in sight of other pilgrims in case you come across them.
Actually, if you are with a group of people and feel safe, and you come across them and it is obvious they have calmed down, then there may be an opening for a conversation that explains and smooths out what went down.

Guardian Civil police are not the same as rescue teams. Guardian Civil look into petty crimes, right? it’s important not to seem to belittle the genuine concerns of someone, in this case the OP. I don’t want to get into a back-and-forth about this, but if people feel intimidated into not approaching the local police representatives (in any country) about a genuine concern they have, that isn’t necessarily going to work out well.
One mission of the Guardia Civil is pilgrim security and protection. It is appropriate to contact them for pilgrim concerns. They have other missions such as drug interdiction as well. I agree that this was a concerning incident and it is unusual that a pilgrim would threaten another in this manner. As a hospitalera, I would certainly contact the GC unless there was a Policia Local office in the community that has responsibility for the town.

Be safe @MainelyStina. Keeping you in my prayers today.

A very unpleasant sounding experience, made much worse after what must have been a night of very bad sleep for you I imagine, and something that no normal person would want to have happen to them.
I hope after a bit of walking your day becomes a little lighter, and I really don't think you have any cause for further concern especially seen as you did eventually let them in (not that should make any difference to a decent human being).
I'd echo that this wouldn't be out of the ordinary though in any large town (assuming it was a town) after a Saturday night, and I guess a good reason to take a lot of people's advice about trying to avoid these places at weekends (unless you're after a party!).
@MainelyStina I hope the rest of your Camino is full of magic and beautiful people and this becomes a distant memory.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Of course one should not waste police resources with trivialities, but it is probably safe to assume that all professionally-trained emergency response organizations (police, fire-fighting, ambulance, emergency medical clinics, etc.) include a process which evaluates the risk associated with each incoming report, and then allocates resources according to the degree of risk of that event as compared to other concurrent events, and the resources that are available. That is or should be a basic management function of emergency response organizations. That process might be called "triage".

The formal mandate of some police organizations includes preventing crime, not just investigating crime.

Not reporting a threat of physical violence is risky, because the non-reporting could expose other people or even oneself to future violence by the same person. In this case the apparent threat of violence was directed at a person who was alone, was combined with a perceived risk of a break-in, and occurred in darkness, which further increases risk. IMO it would be better to immediately report such an event to the police, being sure to identify oneself to enable follow-up, provide sufficient information to enable the police to evaluate the risk and do their triage, and then trust them to do the job that they have been trained to do.

OP, I am sorry that you experienced this unpleasantness. I hope that you can put it behind you and have a safe and fulfilling pilgrimage.

Is it too much to ask where this was?

And, I remember vaguely other people having this problem, but I've downloaded AlertCops here in La Espina, and it won't send an SMS to my US number.

Last edited:
Is it too much to ask where this was?

And, I remember vaguely other people having this problem, but I've downloaded AlertCops here in La Espina, and it won't send an SMS to my US number.
Generally yes. As far as I remember mentioning the albergue can have a negative impact on the place - and since they were not to blame or involved, it's best not to mention it. Best to report to pilgrim office in Sdc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course one should not waste police resources with trivialities, but it is probably safe to assume that all professionally-trained emergency response organizations (police, fire-fighting, ambulance, emergency medical clinics, etc.) include a process which evaluates the risk associated with each incoming report, and then allocates resources according to the degree of risk of that event as compared to other concurrent events, and the resources that are available.

Great answer. Sums it up clearly. Put the concern to the authorities and they can assess.

The was a woman on her own in a dark yard being threatened by a man and you don't think this is an emergency warranting police involvement? :rolleyes:

The was a woman on her own in a dark yard being threatened by a man and you don't think this is an emergency warranting police involvement? :rolleyes:
This. So many time this. I was about to write a much longer bitng response calling out the mysoginism of the person who said this and now don't feel the need to.

Though this does make me wish the forum was like Survivor and we could vote people off our wonderful little island on the internet. Or at least a mute feature so I wouldn't have to see this person's posts

Generally yes. As far as I remember mentioning the albergue can have a negative impact on the place - and since they were not to blame or involved, it's best not to mention it. Best to report to pilgrim office in Sdc.
More than fair...but I only wanted to know which route OP was on. Makes a huge difference in my current threat assessment...especially since I can't complete the AlertCops download.

Though this does make me wish the forum was like Survivor and we could vote people off our wonderful little island on the internet. Or at least a mute feature so I wouldn't have to see this person's posts
Let us try and avoid having this thread devolve into personal attacks.

As C clearly points out, if you don't want to see a particular person's posts, there is an "Ignore" feature. If you click on their user name or avatar you will see a pop-up box with the options to "Follow", "Ignore", and "Start conversation". Just click on "Ignore".

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sorry this happened to you, OP.
The Camino has its bad people as well as its good people.
Sounds like maybe those 2 were out drinking at the fiesta and got in after curfew, which in Spain, is enforced in certain albergues. They learned a big lesson. Sounds like the guy was STILL drunk when he threatened the OP. Hopefully he'll have more sense when he sobers up.

Last night was a rough night. There were people partying in the street all night and saw this morning after I left.. Fireworks shot off at midnight. It was impossible to sleep. People were coming into the hostel after midnight, shining their flashlights all around.

This morning, as I was leaving, I walked out the back of my hostel. There were two individuals, looking like pilgrims, locked in the back garden of the Hostel. They had backpacks and headlamps. As I exited, the man started yelling at me in a language I don’t speak, before switching to English. He was telling me to let him in. I told him I didn’t think I should. The truth is, I have no idea who these people were, or what their intentions were. I don’t know if they were lost pilgrims, or people up to something else? The man jumped up on the back gate, and proceeded to threaten me. Saying, if he found me… Though, he never finished the sentence. He and the woman he was with kept telling me my attitude was not right. I checked the gate and it was locked. But they demanded I let them in to the patio. Which, ultimately I did. But I don’t feel good about it. Yeah, I felt more scared of being threatened in the dark. I’m a woman traveling by myself at the moment. And it was just pretty scary. And now I’m worried about potential consequences of my actions. Notably, that there were pilgrims still sleeping upstairs. And that my backpack was sitting in the hallway waiting to be transferred this morning. I’m hoping no harm comes to anyone or anything.

By the way, for context, I work in a government building. And we’re very big on not allowing people in when they shouldn’t be. So, maybe I am overly sensitive about such things.

I walked out feeling very upset. I found four members of the Guardia Civil down the road directing traffic. I tried to report the incident, but nobody spoke English, and they sent me on my way. So, I continued walking.

I can’t say that I like the Camino very much this morning. I have a long walk ahead of me, I am hoping I can put this behind me. But what a truly terrible way to start a Sunday morning.

To the mods: I’m not entirely sure where this belongs, so please feel free to move if needed.
I absolutely think this could be an emergency! Most if not all threads like this I think “ such is life”, get on…
But these pilgrims sound very fishy and obviously not pilgrims… the threat alone “ if you don’t I’ll…” is an aggressive gesture, fill in the blanks, what could be said that’s not aggressive.
Pilgrims I suspect will be robbed by these AGGRESSIVE and just as revealing INTIMIDATING actors. The intimidation shown is the big reveal!
You are right to worry,
It’s done, enjoy your camino, put it behind you but know your gut was right!!!!!! I have little doubt!

Go back and carefully read the post I was answered to: it is not a matter to not go to the police, it is the matter to not process this as an emergency.
Actually, it was best to try to report this ASAP because what was happening was happening right then and there. You labeled it an emergency, nobody else did. But it did need to be looked into, if possible, while it was occurring. Better to be safe.

Last edited:
Last night was a rough night. There were people partying in the street all night and saw this morning after I left.. Fireworks shot off at midnight. It was impossible to sleep. People were coming into the hostel after midnight, shining their flashlights all around.

Hi Mainely Stina:
Stay safe. The Guardia have been pretty present as I walked from Astorga today. Consider downloading their app. Good advice in this thread to buddy up, or check ins with Camino friends as you walk solo. I’m in wave so other pilgrims frequently in sight or filling cafes in towns. Try to feel the community around you as you walk. You are not alone out here and your fellowship of pilgrims stand ready to help.
Peace
PalouseWalking

These are situations that Hospitaleros face on occasion. Having to be fair, but not foolish. You did what you have learned from experience, do not regret your choice. You didn't put others at risk. I hope the rest of your day was joyous. These Caminos give time to think and grow.

Hello Everyone,

Thought it best to update now that I’ve reached my destination for the night. I didn’t want to say which town or which hostel, but I will say simply that I am on the Frances and expect to arrive in Santiago a week from today - so, I’m pretty far along. I apologize for a level of vagueness in my posting - I’m simply trying to not make things worse.

I pretty much walked in my hurt and fear for the first 6k - constantly looking behind me. A few days ago, a friend of mine had all her money stolen from her while she slept - so I know there can be nefarious people out here, even though we’d all like to think this is a perpetually happy and transformative experience. When I came to the first village I walked into a cafe and was fortunate to find a friend there. Through tears, I told him what had happened, and he, a 9-time Camino vet, thought it one of the worst stories he’d heard in a while. I ordered breakfast and we sat for a while - and he offered to walk on with me. As we exited the village, we came across a woman I met yesterday - and we three continued on.

When we arrived in the next big town we sat at a cafe and I noticed two people who looked very similar to those that had threatened me this morning. As I only saw them in the dark earlier, it was hard to tell. But when they turned around to glare at me, it was pretty clear it was them. I have a fairly distinguishable hat, so I guess I was easy to find? As my friends worried I might encounter them again, they continued to walk with me.

A bit later down the road, as feared, we came across them again. This time my male friend asked the man if he was the person I encountered this morning. He was. My friend told him he should apologize for threatening me, since it was not my job to let them into the hostel. But instead the man and his wife started yelling in their native language. My other friend speaks their language fluently, and tried her best to translate. These two, grown adults in their 60s or maybe 70s, were growing increasingly angry. The man finally suggested that I just didn’t understand the situation this morning and maybe he could apologize - though he never did. As we walked away from them, me feeling just as awful as I had this morning, they continued shouting at us - apparently such vile things that my friend refused to even translate what was being said.

I do want to point out - since it was suggested earlier - that I have the alert cops app, and google translate on my phone - but once I saw the 4 members of the GC down the road this morning I thought it best to just talk to them. Perhaps I should’ve tried google translate, but they were busy dealing with drunk drivers at 7:30am, and not too concerned with getting to the bottom of my situation - which I completely understand.

Anyway, it’s been a brutal day. When I arrived at my hostel I found my backpack with my trekking umbrella damaged beyond being usable, and my Sahagun certificate missing. I certainly hope these are transit issues (and not something else), and I’ve reached out to the company asking if they found my certificate. I can live without the umbrella - and the certificate - but it was nice to have…

Thank you all for your support. I feel like sometimes it’s hard to know if you’re in the right or in the wrong. Today is the second time on my Camino (day 28) where I’ve had an encounter with angry people. It certainly sours the situation. But angry people, like the rest of us, tend to bring themselves wherever they go. I just hope I don’t encounter them again.

Christina

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Everyone,

Thought it best to update now that I’ve reached my destination for the night. I didn’t want to say which town or which hostel, but I will say simply that I am on the Frances and expect to arrive in Santiago a week from today - so, I’m pretty far along. I apologize for a level of vagueness in my posting - I’m simply trying to not make things worse.

I pretty much walked in my hurt and fear for the first 6k - constantly looking behind me. A few days ago, a friend of mine had all her money stolen from her while she slept - so I know there can be nefarious people out here, even though we’d all like to think this is a perpetually happy and transformative experience. When I came to the first village I walked into a cafe and was fortunate to find a friend there. Through tears, I told him what had happened, and he, a 9-time Camino vet, thought it one of the worst stories he’d heard in a while. I ordered breakfast and we sat for a while - and he offered to walk on with me. As we exited the village, we came across a woman I met yesterday - and we three continued on.

When we arrived in the next big town we sat at a cafe and I noticed two people who looked very similar to those that had threatened me this morning. As I only saw them in the dark earlier, it was hard to tell. But when they turned around to glare at me, it was pretty clear it was them. I have a fairly distinguishable hat, so I guess I was easy to find? As my friends worried I might encounter them again, they continued to walk with me.

A bit later down the road, as feared, we came across them again. This time my male friend asked the man if he was the person I encountered this morning. He was. My friend told him he should apologize for threatening me, since it was not my job to let them into the hostel. But instead the man and his wife started yelling in their native language. My other friend speaks their language fluently, and tried her best to translate. These two, grown adults in their 60s or maybe 70s, were growing increasingly angry. The man finally suggested that I just didn’t understand the situation this morning and maybe he could apologize - though he never did. As we walked away from them, me feeling just as awful as I had this morning, they continued shouting at us - apparently such vile things that my friend refused to even translate what was being said.

I do want to point out - since it was suggested earlier - that I have the alert cops app, and google translate on my phone - but once I saw the 4 members of the GC down the road this morning I thought it best to just talk to them. Perhaps I should’ve tried google translate, but they were busy dealing with drunk drivers at 7:30am, and not too concerned with getting to the bottom of my situation - which I completely understand.

Anyway, it’s been a brutal day. When I arrived at my hostel I found my backpack with my trekking umbrella damaged beyond being usable, and my Sahagun certificate missing. I certainly hope these are transit issues (and not something else), and I’ve reached out to the company asking if they found my certificate. I can live without the umbrella - and the certificate - but it was nice to have…

Thank you all for your support. I feel like sometimes it’s hard to know if you’re in the right or in the wrong. Today is the second time on my Camino (day 28) where I’ve had an encounter with angry people. It certainly sours the situation. But angry people, like the rest of us, tend to bring themselves wherever they go. I just hope I don’t encounter them again.

Christina
Christina,
Your experience proves an old adage that I won't post.

These people should be reported. Your instincts were and are correct. Report them to the Guardia, if possible, or the local law enforcement agency. Kudos for keeping your head. I certainly hope you have a good finish on the CF.

Glad you found some walking buddies. There are sometimes groups of people, especially on this last 100 km who are professionals and con artists who intend to separate a pilgrim from his or her valuables. It happens more on this stretch due to the increased numbers of pilgrims. We've encountered them and you may see notices posted in villages.

I hope they are just a pair of unhappy people finishing their pilgrimage, but it seems odd to me that they managed to be ahead of you twice when you clearly left them behind in the morning. If you continue to receive threats don't hesitate to report this to the GC. Take a photo of them with your phone. My husband who is a retired police officer does this and it has helped more than once to resolve an issue. If they are "known" by the GC it could help.

You are not at fault and I wish we could all be there to walk with you in person and not just in spirit via the forum.

You need to add AlertCops and Google Translate to your phone so you can communicate in such an emergency. Sorry you suffered through this. What city?
Tried alertcops — it doesn’t work — won’t confirm phone and reviewers state known issue

€149,-
Tried alertcops — it doesn’t work — won’t confirm phone and reviewers state known issue
Yes, it has been a problem verifying phone numbers from outside of Europe. I had this issue and worked through it by sending an email to AlertCops.

Here's a thread about it: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/alert-cops-sms-challenge.81231/

And my post on that thread about how my issue was solved

I realized that I never returned to this thread to say how this problem was resolved for me.

I emailed them, and after some back and forth in which they asked me about my phone model, service provider, etc. they sent me these instructions.

Good morning, dear user.

We consulted with our service provider to verify where the problem may be occurring between sending and receiving the message and have opened an inquiry ticket.

Meanwhile, we will proceed to provide you with the validation code manually the next time you try to validate in the APP.

To get validated in the APP follow next steps:

1. Open the Alertcops application and it will ask you for validation as in previous occasions.

2. Once the code has been requested, and without closing the application, open the email and reply to this thread indicating that you have requested the new validation code.

3. We have a 24 hour service that will answer the email as soon as possible and will proceed to provide the code.

4. Once the code is received, go to the Alertcops application, is very important that the Alertcops App stay open, or the validation process while begin again.

5. Enter the provided code and the validation process will be completed.

I was able to successfully validate the app.

Very unnerving situation. Walk with a group, even when you haven't met. You'll meet soon enough. Be vigilant of strangers and pay attention to your surroundings.

Hello Everyone,

Christina
Sending hugs! The camino gives us doses of our lives, in waves, walking helps us think about them. Know you did the right thing! These people were not pilgrims I am certain!!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have no idea if anyone was hurt, people intimidated to get access to where people sleep and money stored. Many pilgrims have had to go home and end their pilgrimages when their stuff was stolen…
We have no way of knowing if anyone was hurt.

But these pilgrims sound very fishy and obviously not pilgrims

These people were not pilgrims I am certain!!!!

I don't wish to in any way belittle this woman's experience this morning. Her post showed she was clearly traumatised by it and her anxiety was palpable. But your continued assertion that these people were not pilgrims doesn't sit well. The fact that they were an older couple wearing backpacks and headlamps trying to gain access from an enclosed courtyard early in the morning would suggest they left something behind and needed to get back in, became indignant at her reluctance to help them, got irrational and things escalated from there: cranky tiredness turning to open aggression. It sounds like nobody slept well the night before. Again, I sympathise with the OP and I'm not suggesting she did anything wrong. The man's behaviour as she described it is reprehensible, certainly, but suggesting these two were not pilgrims, but thieves seems illogical to me and only serves to fuel paranoia and anxiety among would be pilgrims..

To the OP, upsetting as this experience was, I do hope you can put it behind you and don't allow it to spoil or define your camino.

I don't wish to in any way belittle this woman's experience this morning. Her post showed she was clearly traumatised by it and her anxiety was palpable. But your continued assertion that these people were not pilgrims doesn't sit well. The fact that they were an older couple wearing backpacks and headlamps trying to gain access from an enclosed courtyard early in the morning would suggest they left something behind and needed to get back in, became indignant at her reluctance to help them, got irrational and things escalated from there: cranky tiredness turning to open aggression. It sounds like nobody slept well the night before. Again, I sympathise with the OP and I'm not suggesting she did anything wrong. The man's behaviour as she described it is reprehensible, certainly, but suggesting these two were not pilgrims, but thieves seems illogical to me and only serves to fuel paranoia and anxiety among would be pilgrims..

To the OP, upsetting as this experience was, I do hope you can put it behind you and don't allow it to spoil or define your camino.
You can have your thoughts and I can have mine, I do not believe these people were pilgrims. The threatening is odd behavior. I have walked many caminos over the past decade and I stand by my words I ( me, myself, first person), do not believe they were pilgrims. That that doesn’t sit well with you is getting way too much attention of your inner being, but to each his own. I stand by my gut feeling 100 percent.
There was a grey haired man standing over my 9 year old in Santiago after she had hiked three months to day from Le Puy, he was clearly looking to steal, as I watched him move from person to person till I finally said something out loud in the middle of the night. He was “ older”, I also watched two “Older” pilgrims empty a donativo box on the Norte on one of my pilgrimages.
I’ll say it again, I don’t think these people were pilgrims and I totally support this pilgrims actions and thought process.
I can assure you your thoughts on the subject do t “ sit” with me at all. Respectfully you, a stranger on the internet don’t change my thoughts or words on the subject, and neither do your words effect me at all… sorry… just opinions…i can’t imagine anything on this thread “ not sitting well with me”… sorry that has happened to you…
And I’ll assert yet again, these “ pilgrims” sound very fishy to me…
If there’s “ fueled paranoia among anyone it’s due to the pilgrims story, I certainly am not bringing forward for the first time ever that people have posed as pilgrims. I didn’t create this scenario…
Also daily we share stuff that fuels paranoia in people? Blisters, shoes, accommodation issues… snorers… so that does nothing to change my verbiage, sorry.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This thread is a perfect illustration of the Lynch's law.

However, I hope the OP will find its semi-Compostela from Sahagun.

It is time to close this thread. Unfortunately, we can rarely discuss this kind of issue without harsh disagreements. I’m going to assume good faith on both sides, and hope that our linguistic and cultural differences can be dealt with in a less aggressive way in the future.

It’s unfortunate that the focus strayed from what was needed — support for a forum member who had a very distressing experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.