• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Valentine's Day present for Kiwis and ex-pats

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm out of here!
Booked to Lisbon in May. Managed to get a very cheap fare NZ $1650 Return with Lufthansa. I was glad, I got a refund from Qatar for the flights that were cancelled in 2020 rather than a credit, as the Qatar return fare would now be $ 3800 for the same period.
So fingers crossed. 2 months. Portuguese Coastal/Spiritual, Primitivo and Finesterre Muxia Circuit.
Was going to walk Juliana and Alpe Adria trail to Trieste, then a week in Croatia. When I researched Covid risk, that entire corner in Europe looks ugly. Low vaccination rates, lots of antivax protests and for the moment serious outbreaks.
The entire region would need to get their act together vaccine wise, before I would travel there.
Portugal and Spain have done an incredible job to tackle covid so responsibly and the people have been very sensible. They suffered terribly to get to this point.
I will have my booster in December, hopefully that will cover me through to July. Hopefully, it will all come off...
Any other NZ folks embracing the chance?

I am thinking about May but I won't decide until a bit closer to the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What is the routing for this fare? It does look like a very good price.
Cathay to Hongkong Lufthansa to Frankfurt, then on to Lisbon.
Back from Madrid via Frankfurt and Hong Kong with Lufthansa and Air New Zealand.
Also option via Munich, but only 1 hour transit time, which seemed a little tight.
I used Michele 64-274721655 from Bon Voyage Cruises and Travel.
Usually, I book my own flights directly with the airline, but during covid times, it has been amazing having Michele's service. She kept me posted on all testing requirements, when I went to Germany this year. She changed flights for me, when it became evident a side trip to Spain was off the menu. It took away a lot of stress and the fare she got me was cheaper than what I could find on line.
Friends booked directly with Qatar to France and there was no testing requirement for Doha and France, but they got caught out as there was a 1 hour service stop in Brisbane, which needed a test. They were denied boarding and it delayed their trip, cost 1000 dollars more for flight and they had to buy new train tickets too. Very stressful and expensive. Hours on hold on phone to Qatar etc....

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a good price to Lisbon! I've found some on Webjet to Madrid June 2022 that are comparable price to my ones that got cancelled June 2020 but the trips seem to be a few hours longer - more stops. I promised myself I wouldn't use 3rd parties to book again - Webjet did eventually front up with a full refund but several months and a bit of stress later. Good to hear the travel agent got you a good deal - maybe that's the path next time. Buen camino!

I am yo-yoing between returning to my Via Francigena in (northern) Spring 2022 or Spring 2023.

As I have family in London and Glasgow my journey will centre around the UK.
As I have a credit from Air New Zealand for the July 2020 return, I will first look there for bookings to London, come the day.

A quick look just now at Air New Zealand gives cheapest at NZD 2 650

A quick look just now at Lufthansa gives cheapest at NZD 1540. And all sectors are with Luft, nice.

All four legs (2 ANZ and 2 LUFT) are about 30 hours each.

Kia kaha tatou katoa.

I am yo-yoing between returning to my Via Francigena in (northern) Spring 2022 or Spring 2023.

As I have family in London and Glasgow my journey will centre around the UK.
As I have a credit from Air New Zealand for the July 2020 return, I will first look there for bookings to London, come the day.

A quick look just now at Air New Zealand gives cheapest at NZD 2 650

A quick look just now at Lufthansa gives cheapest at NZD 1540. And all sectors are with Luft, nice.

All four legs (2 ANZ and 2 LUFT) are about 30 hours each.

Kia kaha tatou katoa.
I booked with Lufthansa. Such a good deal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.