• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Is Covid still an issue and how to deal with it ...

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I am about to do 500 k of the Camino Frances from Burgos to Santiago ... I haven't seen many posts recently regarding Covid issues ... but here in Australia there are still many infections... have any pilgrims been infected lately and what do they do about this situation sleeping in hostels etc? So as not to infect others but also how to get help on the route ... perhaps even find alternative accommodation so as not to be a bother to others while recovering?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carried a couple of test kits with me this winter, and one was used by one of my students who had a cough and sore throat, but it was not Covid. If I got sick, I would wear a mask and seek private rooms for a few days. The isolation guidance in the US has changed recently, and I am not certain about Spain. There were no restrictions when I was there this winter.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There was a thread in January 2024 about masks becoming mandatory again in hospitals and health centers. But I don’t know if that is still in place. Last year when I was on the Lana, masks were still required in farmacias, but that requirement was later dropped.

I think that it makes sense for pilgrims to stick a mask or two in their packs just in case.
Irrespective of the mandatory requirements, I agree it's a good idea to have a few masks on hand. Earlier this year my husband and I were both out of action for two weeks and isolated ourselves for much of that time so as not to pass it on to family and friends. We tested for COVID - negative. But we were very sick. A later professionally administered test revealed it was not COVID or flu, but a highly contagious respiratory virus. There are plenty of those circulating in Europe and elsewhere at the moment, so certainly doesn't hurt to have a mask or two on hand to protect others from any contagious illness.

If I had those sorts of symptoms while on a Camino, I would do this:
If I got sick, I would wear a mask and seek private rooms for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in spain and everyone seems to have colds and sore throats since the floods last month and cold weather 2 weeks ago. No one is talking about covid.
I reckon if someone has a sore throat they're not going to self isolate any more than they would if they had a cold or flu.

Last edited:
Masks no longer a requirement here in Spain. They were brought in again around the New Year but it only lasted a few weeks. However, caveat to the above... Makes sense to have a couple just in case, for your protection and in case, heaven forbid, you get it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To some extend for simple comparison - I treat COVID like a flu. Its there, it will ALWAYS be there and if it is something you worry about please take all the precautions you feel necessary.
Even that said nobody can guarantee 'safety' 100% (just like in case of the flu)

Wholeheartedly agree that a pack of masks will not hurt to have handy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that it makes sense for pilgrims to stick a mask or two in their packs just in case.
Good point. I just added it to my packing list. Hadn't thought about the possibility we might need one to get into a pharmacy. On my first Camino in 2022, I didn't know you needed one to get into a pharmacy and when I went in without one they all looked at me like I was from another planet. The lady behind the counter politely told me the rules and I apologized profusely. She still served me and it was a learning moment on my first Camino.

Good point. I just added it to my packing list. Hadn't thought about the possibility we might need one to get into a pharmacy. On my first Camino in 2022, I didn't know you needed one to get into a pharmacy and when I went in without one they all looked at me like I was from another planet. The lady behind the counter politely told me the rules and I apologized profusely. She still served me and it was a learning moment on my first Camino.
In 2022 couple of times that I venture into pharmacy without one they simply gave me one....
Note: not to discourage anyone from packing one or few if so desired

There was a thread in January 2024 about masks becoming mandatory again in hospitals and health centers. But I don’t know if that is still in place. Last year when I was on the Lana, masks were still required in farmacias, but that requirement was later dropped.

Andalusia introduced mandatory masks in health care-settings about the second week in January this year ('24). Not sure of current status.

I agree with your suggestion regarding a mask or two.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back