VDLP in April

larrycu

Jun 23, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I am starting in Seville on April 21 and hope to walk complete to Santiago de Compostela.
I am struggling to find a good guide book or maps that is current. Has anyone walked it without a phone to book rooms or no spanish. I do not know any other language except english.
Anybody else going at this time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

walkingnomads

Dec 14, 2009
Hi Larry,
We (Chris and Cathy fro Brisbane Australia) are also walking the VDLP this year but we will probably be a few days behind you.....I think we start walking from Seville on about the 8th May as we have a few days in Granada, Cordoba and Seville before we start.
We have been learning a little Spanish.
As for guide books, we have 2 (Alison Raju and Bethan Davis and Ben Cole), but neither are really up to date. However, there are updates of the Bethan and Ben book on line, and the Confraternity of St James in London also has an excellent little book with updates.
We have bought maps and photocopied relevant parts which we plan to carry with us.(this we didn't do on the Camono Frances, but there seem to be fewer waymarks and more road works, so we thought it could be quite useful.
I am planning to carry a phone, for MMS and for internet use in free wifi hotspots.
Alternatively, when we walked the Camino Frances from Le Puy to Santiago 7 years ago, we bought a phone card in London before we left and it worked well, so we plan to do this again.
We will have rest days in Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense, where we have pre-booked accommodation on line. We have also booked accom in Santiago.
At present we are trying to fit in 3 to 4 walks a week with pack around Brisbane (from 12ks to 25ks).
I hope this is helpful and perhaps we will meet up somewhere along the way.
There is also a list of albergues for VDLP online with their contact phone numbers on a Spanish site.

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 2006
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Welcome larrycu -

Are you planning to stay in non-albergue accommodations only?

lynne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Oct 26, 2008
Quebec, Canada
?
Hi Larry!

I walked the VDLP Sevilla-Santiago last fall.
I used Bethan Davis and Ben Cole and it was very good. Just make sure you get the updates on their web site.
I stayed in commercial accommodations all the way and never made reservations. Not required! Gives you more freedom to select your stages.
Don't worry, you'll be fine in English and will soon learn enough spanish to get by and be well treated everywhere you go.

Enjoy the walk!
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
Hi Larry!

I walked the VDLP Sevilla-Santiago last fall.
I used Bethan Davis and Ben Cole and it was very good. Just make sure you get the updates on their web site.
I stayed in commercial accommodations all the way and never made reservations. Not required! Gives you more freedom to select your stages.
Don't worry, you'll be fine in English and will soon learn enough spanish to get by and be well treated everywhere you go.

Enjoy the walk!
Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc's suggestion will work if you are prepared to try it although if you encounter prilgrims in any number beds may be full and you may have to make alternative arrangements. There have been reports on the Forum of the VdlP getting busier.

There are some beautiful and isolated sections of this route. I'd err on the side of safety as well as convenience and take a mobile phone at least for emergencies.

If you aren't confident in Spanish as I wasn't why not write down the key phrases you may need to use and take that with you?

John

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Oct 26, 2008
Quebec, Canada
?
JohnnieWalker said:
There are some beautiful and isolated sections of this route. I'd err on the side of safety as well as convenience and take a mobile phone at least for emergencies.

John

Good point!
I didn't mention it because it's a given for me.
What's the emergency number in Spain again? 112!!! In fact, it's the same for all of Europe, isn't it?

Cheers
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

muppet

Mar 26, 2010
Hi Larry,

I'm planning to do the VDLP towards the end of April after first hopefully finishing the Portugese route leaving on the 2nd of April from Porto. When I arrive in Santiago I will either go out the the coast first or leave Santiago after a few days to travel down to Seville for the second trip....might see you on the route somewhere in the coming months! Good luck in any case!

muppet

Mar 26, 2010
Hi Jean-Marc

Yes I've taken a possible 6 months out to do this and whether I achieve them both is still open to question but I'll do my best :D With the amount of time I've got i can afford the odd days rest and recuperation........The intention is there...lets hope the body is up to the challenge ahead......either way I'm raring to go but its all new for me so I'm bound to make a few mistakes along the way....thats life! Lets hope I'm not literally looking like Beaker by the end of it all! :mrgreen:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides