• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Very happy with my new pacer poles.

Ian Campbell

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: LePuy 2016
Future: Frances 2022
On this forum I read about Pacer Poles. I suffer (slightly) from arthritis in both thumbs, and this is aggravated by the straps on normal trekking poles. So after reading about the Pacer Poles I ordered a pair, which just arrived today. I assembled them and went for a seven-kilometre hike and I was very pleased with how they function. The force of the pole is dissipated in the muscular part of the palm, where it seems to pose little chance of causing pain.
Frankly they immediately felt better than conventional trekking poles in several respects. It's easier to make them part of your stride. The difference is especially noticeable when going uphill. You can really use your upper body strength.
When I placed the order they estimated 14-16 days shipping time (UK to Canada), but it only took 8 days.
So I just wanted to give them a thumbs up for good service and a good product. Looking forward to walking the Camino Frances with them in April & May.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another uncoordinated pacer lover here too! I don't check my bag, but I do always check a bundle wrapped in cardboard that contains my poles, with razor and pocket knife taped to them. It's a solution that has given me the best of both worlds.
Enjoy!

Welcome to the club! I type for a living and initially got them to save my wrists from those straight poles and loopy straps. They are my rocket engines going up hill and hand brakes going down, they take some weight off my dodgy knee and hip and keep my hands from swelling. Wouldn't dream of going for a long walk without them. Before brexit I used to send them to my first accommodation by post and pick them up there, now that process has become so slow, unpredictable and expensive that I would rather check my bag to take them with me. Totally worth it because I can't just buy them anywhere, though I am sure Heather would ship some asap if you lost yours in transit!
Also, when I came home from Cologne yesterday with a bruised foot, I found that because of that odd handle they let me take one through security as a walking aid. They just asked me to collapse it and sent it through the X-ray and I could take it on the plane. Love. love, love Las Marias! (Yes of course I named them - a lady I met called hers Thelma and Louise ...)

On this forum I read about Pacer Poles. I suffer (slightly) from arthritis in both thumbs, and this is aggravated by the straps on normal trekking poles. So after reading about the Pacer Poles I ordered a pair, which just arrived today. I assembled them and went for a seven-kilometre hike and I was very pleased with how they function. The force of the pole is dissipated in the muscular part of the palm, where it seems to pose little chance of causing pain.
Frankly they immediately felt better than conventional trekking poles in several respects. It's easier to make them part of your stride. The difference is especially noticeable when going uphill. You can really use your upper body strength.
When I placed the order they estimated 14-16 days shipping time (UK to Canada), but it only took 8 days.
So I just wanted to give them a thumbs up for good service and a good product. Looking forward to walking the Camino Frances with them in April & May.
So glad you found pacer poles. I found out about them in 2012 before my first Camino and they saved my bacon! I couldn’t use regular polls either because of the thumb issue. Trigger thumb is no joke!

They were also a huge help with my knees.

In my 2016 Camino I was walking down towards Alcebo and was gawking at the beauty, caught a toe on a rock, and without my polls would’ve taken a face plant.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have those too and love them!

Im in Toronto area , could you get the Pacer Poles in Canada ?
BUEN CAMINO .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Im in Toronto area , could you get the Pacer Poles in Canada ?
BUEN CAMINO .
You have to get them from the company in England. They're not on Amazon or in any stores that I know of. They have a webstore, just search for Pacer Poles.
The cost including shipping was $178CAD for the carbon-fibre poles. Took two weeks from submitting the order to receiving the item in Canada, so a few days for processing and packing and then 8 days for shipping.

You have to get them from the company in England. They're not on Amazon or in any stores that I know of. They have a webstore, just search for Pacer Poles.
The cost including shipping was $178CAD for the carbon-fibre poles. Took two weeks from submitting the order to receiving the item in Canada, so a few days for processing and packing and then 8 days for shipping.
Thank you Doug, have three weeks before I leave for CDG Paris, a bit tight schedule for the pacer poles to arrive on time If I order it now. I think 🤔. Cheers !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Doug, have three weeks before I leave for CDG Paris, a bit tight schedule for the pacer poles to arrive on time If I order it now. I think 🤔. Cheers !
One other option: the Decathlon chain of stores (which is based in Paris but you can find them all over Europe) has a version of trekking poles with similar handles, though not left/right ergonomic ones.

They're only 28 euros/pair and the Canadian dollar has an improved exchange rate in Europe these days.
I myself have never tried these, or even seen them in person. Others on this forum have tried them.

I started using them in 2012 and I will again take them to walk the Via Francigena for almost 3 months starting August 3rd. I have the carbon fibre poles and I put them inside my pack when I fly and they don't show up on the airport security x-rays (I've watched numerous times). Multiple trips to many countries to walk including South America and Japan, and so far never a problem with carry on. I had a pole break and the folks at Pacer Poles had the replacement part couriered to a location ahead for me to pick up. Fabulous support and a great product! Their website is first rate and the information they email with your order confirmation is really well thought out. I highly recommend them.

My husband and I are also pacer pole fans.
Just a quick question for the rest of you pacer pol users: how do you safeguard them during the Camino, given the high price? I am reluctant to leave them in the pile of walking sticks at the front of an albergue, for instance. I would like to have them closer to my side, perhaps under or by my bed. Do any of you encounter issues with keeping them close?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a quick question for the rest of you pacer pol users: how do you safeguard them during the Camino, given the high price? I am reluctant to leave them in the pile of walking sticks at the front of an albergue, for instance. I would like to have them closer to my side, perhaps under or by my bed. Do any of you encounter issues with keeping them close?
I collapse them and attach them to my pack. Yes, they are expensive, but no more so than many Leki and Black Diamond poles. In fact compared to some from those brands they are a bargain!

If a hospitalero is really insistent, you could take them apart and keep the top part with you.

I myself have never tried these, or even seen them in person. Others on this forum have tried them.
Like you, I haven't seen these in use nor used them myself.

Just looking at the illustrations on the Decathalon site, they appear to be more a variant of a walking stick that might be used as a mobility aid than either a traditional trekking pole or Pacer poles. I am wondering if they will lose some of the advantages of the longer poles without offering any of their own.

I am going to be interested to here from someone who has experience with them and can tell us how good they really are.

Like you, I haven't seen these in use nor used them myself.

Just looking at the illustrations on the Decathalon site, they appear to be more a variant of a walking stick that might be used as a mobility aid than either a traditional trekking pole or Pacer poles. I am wondering if they will lose some of the advantages of the longer poles without offering any of their own.

I am going to be interested to here from someone who has experience with them and can tell us how good they really are.
My sister bought a pair of these when she lost her sticks last year on the Camino Portuguese. She initially wasn't thrilled with them, but liked them better when she got used to them. I tried them for a short time, but I can't remember the details - just that I didn't like them as well as my pacer poles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. You won’t regret buying these poles.
I “discovered” them prior to walking Camino Francis in 2018. and found them an outstanding product. Very good at sorting your posture.
I swear by mine.
Buen CMino

Congrats on selecting the Pacer pole.
I “discovered” them in time to get a pair sent to me prior to my Camino Frances in early 2018.
They really do feel natural and assist with a good walking posture.
Excellent product.
Buen Camino

One other option: the Decathlon chain of stores (which is based in Paris but you can find them all over Europe) has a version of trekking poles with similar handles, though not left/right ergonomic ones.

They're only 28 euros/pair and the Canadian dollar has an improved exchange rate in Europe these days.

Ian, I have been to Decathlon store in Malaga many times ( I go to Torremolinos , outside Malaga, in winter time every year till 2020) prices are reasonable there by our standard, we have one in here in Vaughn , north of Toronto, but the prices here are typically like all the other similar selling outdoor products. Exorbitant . But, it is what it is. I will have extra day in Pamplona, on May 1st, but its Spaniards day of holiday, hope it will be open, .. of not .. oh well…. Many thanks Ian for the suggestion. Cheers !
BUEN CAMINO.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
we have one in here in Vaughn , north of Toronto, but the prices here are typically like all the other similar selling outdoor products. Exorbitant
That's surprising. I've been to the the store in the US in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the prices are pretty much the same as they are in Europe, but in the equivalent amount in dollars. In fact the poles that were mentioned here are each $20 CDN, and $19.99 USD, so they are actually cheaper in Canada!

I bought these poles before my first Camino in 2016. Since then they’ve been used for three more Caminos, a Coast to Coast walk in England, hiking in Iceland, the Rockies here in the U.S., etc. In my opinion, they are clearly the best option out there and worth a premium price. The inventor and owner, who lives in the Lake District in the U.K., is a retired industrial engineer, and has consistently refused offers to sell the company that he has received unsolicited from various global outdoor products companies. The only thing I’ve had to replace are the rubber tips, which I strongly recommend using, which lasted well over a thousand miles. I use golf club labels on the top of the shafts on mine to identify them, and have left them mixed with others on many, many occasions without them being stolen. The poles themselves, the customer service, and the personal story behind these make this product one of the more unique stories out there.

That's surprising. I've been to the the store in the US in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the prices are pretty much the same as they are in Europe, but in the equivalent amount in dollars. In fact the poles that were mentioned here are each $20 CDN, and $19.99 USD, so they are actually cheaper in Canada!

I will make an efforts to drive to Decathlon store in Vaughn , Canada to revisit the store. Generally speaking, any Canadian can tell you how more expensive things are here , compare to USA and Europe, generally speaking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will make an efforts to drive to Decathlon store in Vaughn , Canada to revisit the store. Generally speaking, any Canadian can tell you how more expensive things are here , compare to USA and Europe, generally speaking.
You should be able to see all of their products on the Decathlon.ca website

Read the reviews on the Decathlon site. Overall it seems like they liked the handle but there were many that mentioned that the rubber bottoms (guess they mean tip) wore out very quickly and a couple that they were too short. I might worry about the durability for a long Camino. Has anyone actually used them for that distance?

Read the reviews on the Decathlon site. Overall it seems like they liked the handle but there were many that mentioned that the rubber bottoms (guess they mean tip) wore out very quickly and a couple that they were too short. I might worry about the durability for a long Camino. Has anyone actually used them for that distance?
Rubber tips can be replaced with more durable tips.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fellow PacerPole user here. Love mine too. Walked the Camino Frances with them in 2019 and Camino Ingles 18 months later. I'll be taking them with me again at the end of April to walk the Camino Frances again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes put them under my bed. I was a bit nervous sometimes leaving them outside. They become like a friend and I wouldn't want to lose them. 😊

I once asked a hospitaler@ - very nicely - why they wouldn't let me take the poles into the albergue, explained about the handles, not easily replaceable etc, and apart from mentioning that surely my shoes were also expensive and very carefully chosen (true) and that I was willing to leave them outside (also true) they said the reason was that the sharp metal tips made holes in the floor. Fair point. I pointed out that mine had a rubber tip, which they accepted under doubt. When I offered to collapse them and stick them inside my pack, it was OK. This might not be true for all hospis though. Sometimes I will stick them in my pack before entering the albergue and keep them there until I leave. The point is that it should be the same rule for everyone and I can imagine poles falling over in the night, littering the floor where you can trip on them etc - plus of course the tips marking the floor.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I once asked a hospitaler@ - very nicely - why they wouldn't let me take the poles into the albergue, explained about the handles, not easily replaceable etc, and apart from mentioning that surely my shoes were also expensive and very carefully chosen (true) and that I was willing to leave them outside (also true) they said the reason was that the sharp metal tips made holes in the floor. Fair point. I pointed out that mine had a rubber tip, which they accepted under doubt. When I offered to collapse them and stick them inside my pack, it was OK. This might not be true for all hospis though. Sometimes I will stick them in my pack before entering the albergue and keep them there until I leave. The point is that it should be the same rule for everyone and I can imagine poles falling over in the night, littering the floor where you can trip on them etc - plus of course the tips marking the floor.
My poles have rubber tips and if I feel a bit uneasy about leaving them outside, I lay them flat under the bunk, out of the way. I only do this if I'm allocated a bottom bunk of course. Collapsing them first and putting them in the rucksack sounds like a good idea though.

Re - security of pacer poles.
I wrap red and white reflective tape (from hardware store) around the top segment of my poles, below the handle. It makes them easily identifiable (so no-one takes them by mistake) and also reflects lights of approaching cars when walking along roads on dark or foggy mornings.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.