A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Via Algarviana, yet another option for walking in Portugal

On another thread, I just saw mention by @Martin.P of the Via Algarviana, which I had never heard of before. A little searching shows that it's a 300 km east-west trail through the Algarve, from Alcoutim in the east to Sao Vicente in the west. This is not a coastal walk, in fact you don't hit the coast till you get to Sao Vicente. It goes through some of the hillier parts of the Algarve. You can see a map of the route here: http://www.mydestination.com/algarve/regionalinfo/6175197/via-algarviana-nature-trail

In Sao Vicente you can continue north on the Rota Vicentina, which takes you as far north as Santiago do Cacem, then bushwhack like @Conques did to get to the ferry to Lisbon, and then continue on to Santiago!

I think this is an official site, lots of good information for anyone who is interested.

http://www.viaalgarviana.org/index.php/the-track/?lang=en

Another option to go on the dream/wish list. Bom Caminho, Laurie

amsimoes

Camino(s) past & future
I am out.
Friends have my email.
On another thread, I just saw mention by @Martin.P of the Via Algarviana, which I had never heard of before. A little searching shows that it's a 300 km east-west trail through the Algarve, from Alcoutim in the east to Sao Vicente in the west. This is not a coastal walk, in fact you don't hit the coast till you get to Sao Vicente. It goes through some of the hillier parts of the Algarve. You can see a map of the route here: http://www.mydestination.com/algarve/regionalinfo/6175197/via-algarviana-nature-trail

In Sao Vicente you can continue north on the Rota Vicentina, which takes you as far north as Santiago do Cacem, then bushwhack like @Conques did to get to the ferry to Lisbon, and then continue on to Santiago!

I think this is an official site, lots of good information for anyone who is interested.

http://www.viaalgarviana.org/index.php/the-track/?lang=en

Another option to go on the dream/wish list. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie.

It seems that the project of "Via Algarviana" is being abandoned. From 2015 are not guaranteed their maintenance.

AMSimões

Laurie, I have welcome pilgrims doing the Via Algarviana (Starting in Faro) not many, comparing with Lisboa or Porto, and mostly on bicycle. few walking. Also already have a booking for 2016 from a pilgrim group older than 70 riding bicycle starting in Faro.
Do not expect, inspect ;)
Happy New Year and Bom caminho to you all
Mario

Diane55

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2014, Camino Portuguese September 2016, Planning Le Puy October 2017
In October 2017 I walked from the Spanish border to Cabo San Vincente on the Via Algarviana. It is very different than walking a Camino route. It is well marked and most trails are very well maintained. That said there are very few services, cafes, accommodations or people on the route. I walked most of it alone and I was frightened much of the time. My phone did not work in the remote areas. This route is all hills, if you can't do long distances and 1000 mtrs up/down choose a different path. The whole route took me 14 days.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%