Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via De La Plata, Confusing Signpost Before Alcuéscar

geraldkelly

Nov 13, 2006
Ireland
www.caminoguide.net
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
I got some information from a recent pilgrim about misleading signposting on the Via shortly before Alcuéscar.

16km from Aljucén you come to a point at the top of a rise where the Via veers right. Here there is a prominent sign which points left (see photo) for Albergue Turístico Los Olivos. As you can see in the photo there is also a Via de la Plata sign pointing left. This is incorrect, the Via goes RIGHT at this point to bring you straight to Alcuéscar.

Attachments

• Alcuescar sign.jpg
    Alcuescar sign.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 101
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

notion900

Veteran Member
Aug 28, 2007
London
>
I got some information from a recent pilgrim about misleading signposting on the Via shortly before Alcuéscar.

16km from Aljucén you come to a point at the top of a rise where the Via veers right. Here there is a prominent sign which points left (see photo) for Albergue Turístico Los Olivos. As you can see in the photo there is also a Via de la Plata sign pointing left. This is incorrect, the Via goes RIGHT at this point to bring you straight to Alcuéscar.

There are some arrows pointing right in the photo. Someone should have a word with the albergue owner, who is clearly responsible for the misleading sign.

Reactions: HighlandsHiker

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
We got caught out there. A local told us to go left. A little later a cement truck driver urged us on too.
My instinct was screaming this was wrong BUT there were the distinctive VdlP bollards along the route so it seemed right. Eventually the path became a track and there were cobwebs and no footprints even though lots of other pilgrims had gone before us.
Googlemaps to the rescue. We had overshot Alcuescar. We really wanted to stay at the monastery so we backtracked cross-country. Even found some of that water and mud @MarkLee manages to avoid.
img_4349.jpg

Still not sure about all the concrete bollards - I thought perhaps we would be back on that route tomorrow, but no, we set off in a completely different direction.
They remain a mystery and our nice short 19km day turned into a respectable 25km!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hikoi

Jun 6, 2014
VdlP (2016)
Jesus Trail (Nazareth to Capernaum) 2016
Way of St Francis (Pietralunga to Assisi) 2016
I also went left - fooled by the signs, which seemed to be a cynical re-routing of the Camino to lead pilgrims to the hostel. I arrived there and asked at the gas station whereabouts the monastery was, only to be told it was some kilometers away, along the road. I was so annoyed I double quick timed to the monastery. The route march burned off my anger - and a few litres of sweat too! The hospitalero at the monastery told me they frequently alter the signs...

Oct 8, 2012
Illawarra Region NSW Australia
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
I remember that sign was like that back in May 2013 - and yes it is all down to the albergue owner. I had been advised the night before about it - and I think it was also in A. Raju's guidebook that I obtained from CSJ. I think other guidebooks have also picked up on this phony diversion. Cheers

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Aug 8, 2013
Perigord - France
thenwewalked.com
yes...
I remember this spot clearly too... I'd read a few accounts before I arrived at the junction and knew that I should ignore the signs and keep walking down the hill. I'm glad we did as folks arriving later told us they added an hour or more to their journey following the signs.

Here's my photo from last October...

2016-10-03 11.59.39.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Paddy Brock

Paddy J Brock Ireland
Feb 5, 2017
Dunlaoire , Dublin Ireland
Camino Frances 2014, Camino Frances / Plus Finisterre 2015, Camino Portugese 2016 and Via de la plata April 2017 in planning
I remember this spot clearly too... I'd read a few accounts before I arrived at the junction and knew that I should ignore the signs and keep walking down the hill. I'm glad we did as folks arriving later told us they added an hour or more to their journey following the signs.

Here's my photo 6 from last October...

View attachment 32979
Thanks guys and girls for the good advice ,,,,,,,will remember to keep walking down the hill to the right . Much appreciated

Reactions: Kip
D

Deleted member 12253

Aggressive signs to go for hostal. Very clear by signs that camino goes right.

notion900

Veteran Member
Aug 28, 2007
London
>
I saw an official distance sign just before the massive hill up from the reservoir to Grandas de Salime, and someone had written 'mentira' (lie) next to the number of km. Next person past this pesky albergue sign should pull out a marker pen....

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Mike II
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My first walking day will be on Tuesday, but because I am now still in the possession of my laptop I thought it would be handy to start this thread already. I landed on Asturias airport on...
Something I came across earlier today which sounded interesting. The Ourense local council and a public service organisation are running a project where local people can walk from Ourense to...
Usually reliable Rome2Rio website doesn't show a bus route which runs close to the Oseira monastery, but Google maps shows a bus icon there. Does anyone know whether there is or is not bus service...
In case it’s helpful for those who are looking to start their Sanabres walk from Granja de Moruela: Last week, when I reached Granja de Moruela while walking the via de la plata, I continued...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides