A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Via Francigena guide books

Stephen

Camino(s) past & future
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Anyone recommend a guide book for this pilgrimage?

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Hi Stephen,
I had the Alison Raju one for the Canterbury to Besançon section. I didn't like it much mainly because it was already very outdated (and I had bought the latest version).
For my next stretch, Grand Saint Bernard to Rome, I have bought the guide from Roberta Ferraris. Looks good (to me) but doesn't cover the whole Via Francigena if that is what you need. I also have - as ebooks - the lightfoot guides.
Probably overkill but I have a slight tendency to get lost :oops::D
Have you had a look at this website? Plenty of information there. http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes (11th September 2014) via Piedmont to SJPP,
then Camino Frances to Santiago de Compostela

Via Francigena, Ramsgate,Canterbury ,England to Rome,
via France,Switzerland and Italy. April to July 2016
Last year I used the (3) Lightfoot guides, and found them to be the best ...
Now I understand you can even download them as ebooks, and download the tracks to superimpose on a digital map- which would have been my preferred option ...

Dependent on which sections you walk, will depend on what you get ...

In Italy you don't need one , you can use the readily available material from pilgrim hostels..and therwebsite as indicated by domigee

Besoncon to GSB pass , I would use a guide book...

Canterbury to Besoncon, you ( in my opinion) definitely need a guide book !!

I also had Alison Raju's book , which I found to be far too little detail.. in parts of France there is little waymarking....

Camino(s) past & future
Many more in the future (hopefully)
I will be walking Canterbury to Arras in July/August. I have the Alison Raju book, and I have the route traced out on MAPS.ME. I hope that will be sufficient. I did not need to use it very much, but I had the Alison Raju books on the Le Puy route, and I thought the route description was very detailed, so I figured I would go with the same on the VF. However the maps in the Raju books are not very useful IMHO.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
If anyone is wondering what is "unhelpful" about the Rakhi/Cicerone maps - only the actual route is recorded. No side streets or other features which is fine only if you don't veer off course or wonder if you're in the right spot. And there are no elevations.
Photo attached for comparison (I assume the Lightfoot books have the same maps, which are far more useful)

Attachments

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
You can get it from the Via Francigena website but the p&p to the UK was horrendous, £20. I ordered it from Amazon as it was free....

Last edited:

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
For those of you who are thinking of walking the Italian part: download the Sloways App. from the via francigena website. (It's free)
I am using it at the moment and it is great, you know straight away if you are on the right track (or not!).

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Via Podensis; Via Francigena; Via Portugues; Via Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg.
I had the Alison Raju one for the Canterbury to Besançon section. I didn't like it much mainly because it was already very outdated (and I had bought the latest version). For my next stretch, Grand Saint Bernard to Rome, I have bought the guide from Roberta Ferraris....... I also have - as ebooks - the lightfoot guides./en/
Hi Domigee. I am wildly off-topic, but I have just reconnected with Ivar's forum after quite a few months absence on other travel. I am still getting oriented.

I was unable to follow your progress on the VF because I was on Jakobsweg when you hoped to start the VF and then on other travel.

How did it all go?

Finally: May I wish everyone who has walked (or hopes to walk) the VF, all the very best for the Festive Season and for 2018.

Regards

Bob M

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Domigee. I am wildly off-topic, but I have just reconnected with Ivar's forum after quite a few months absence on other travel. I am still getting oriented.

I was unable to follow your progress on the VF because I was on Jakobsweg when you hoped to start the VF and then on other travel.

How did it all go?

Finally: May I wish everyone who has walked (or hopes to walk) the VF, all the very best for the Festive Season and for 2018.

Regards

Bob M
Hi Bob! Nice to hear from you especially as I am re-reading your book at the moment! (The long walk).
I only did the section between the Grand St Bernard pass and Rome, wrote a few thoughts about it somewhere else in the forum... It was great!
Hard but great!
Want to hear all about your Jacobsweg, too! :)

All the best to you too.
D

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Via Podensis; Via Francigena; Via Portugues; Via Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg.
. . . .
Want to hear all about your Jacobsweg, too! :)
D
The descent from the Pass is certainly exhilarating, but tough on the legs. And the route onwards to Rome has its challenges as well. All those beautiful Tuscan towns are built on hilltops and it is not fun to struggle uphill to your accommodation at the end of a tiring day. But the first sight of the Dome of St Peters and then Rome unfolding before you as you walk through that large park is one of the great moments on the VF.

Jakobsweg was experimental for me; only a week, and I had my baggage transferred each day so I could carry only a small daypack. I met another Pilgrim who started in Vienna and planned to go all the way to Santiago.

Anyway I was able to post daily reports at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/one-week-on-st-jacobs-way-jacobsweg.49136/

I hope to do another walk next year, possibly the Nakasendo Way (Japan) in cherry blossom time (April) but apparently the walk at that time is unbelievably crowded, so it is difficult to find places to stay.

Sorry, everyone, for being so off-topic.

Bob M

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
Hello @mspath I hope you are well?
I am going to sound like an elderly curmudgeon, probably because I am an elderly curmudgeon.🤷🏼‍♂️ I am just a little bit underwhelmed by an all-embracing article about the VF written by someone who walked for 5 days of it. It is a nice article, and she has done some research, but meh!
I would defend to the (my) death the right of anyone to walk any part, even one day, of any pilgrimage route anywhere, and I don't mind whether people have their bags carried or stay only in paradores or equivalent or bring a donkey or even a unicorn 🦄or have stylish wardrobe like Melania on safari🦁. I am a libertarian curmudgeon😃
But this was a bit less than inspiring. Maybe the frost outside and a touch of sinusitits has made me grumpy....
But maybe I don't understand modern journalism either.
And genuine thanks for signalling the article! 😁

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hello @mspath I hope you are well?
I am going to sound like an elderly curmudgeon, probably because I am an elderly curmudgeon.🤷🏼‍♂️ I am just a little bit underwhelmed by an all-embracing article about the VF written by someone who walked for 5 days of it. It is a nice article, and she has done some research, but meh!
I would defend to the (my) death the right of anyone to walk any part, even one day, of any pilgrimage route anywhere, and I don't mind whether people have their bags carried or stay only in paradores or equivalent or bring a donkey or even a unicorn 🦄or have stylish wardrobe like Melania on safari🦁. I am a libertarian curmudgeon😃
But this was a bit less than inspiring. Maybe the frost outside and a touch of sinusitits has made me grumpy....
But maybe I don't understand modern journalism either.
And genuine thanks for signalling the article! 😁
You are an elderly curmudgeon (love that word!) and so am I. And I’m grumpy too :eek:
And yes, I met NO other pilgrim on the stretch from Canterbury to Besançon.

Last edited:

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
The descent from the Pass is certainly exhilarating, but tough on the legs. And the route onwards to Rome has its challenges as well. All those beautiful Tuscan towns are built on hilltops and it is not fun to struggle uphill to your accommodation at the end of a tiring day. But the first sight of the Dome of St Peters and then Rome unfolding before you as you walk through that large park is one of the great moments on the VF.

Jakobsweg was experimental for me; only a week, and I had my baggage transferred each day so I could carry only a small daypack. I met another Pilgrim who started in Vienna and planned to go all the way to Santiago.

Anyway I was able to post daily reports at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/one-week-on-st-jacobs-way-jacobsweg.49136/

I hope to do another walk next year, possibly the Nakasendo Way (Japan) in cherry blossom time (April) but apparently the walk at that time is unbelievably crowded, so it is difficult to find places to stay.

Sorry, everyone, for being so off-topic.

Bob M
Sorry Bob, I actually never saw your post until a new one was posted :-( I’ll readthe thread you posted. What is next for you? :cool:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%