A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Via Francigena Guide

tominrm

Hiking to Celebrate the End of Working Life.
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2014,2019)
del Norte ( 2015)
Portuguese ( 2016)
Primitivo ( 2017)
VdlP (2018)
I am thinking about walking VF next spring and wondering if a guidebook would be necessary to walk from Lucca to Rome. I read it here that the path is well marked from Lucca. My reluctance on getting a guidebook is the weight of the book. I suppose I can download a guide but why if I don't need to read. I am trying to reduce the weight of my backpack to minimum. I think I can download the list of accommodation in my iPhone. Does anyone see the advantage of having a guidebook?

Stripey Socks

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances '13, Via de la Plata '14, Portuguese '16, Via Francigena - Italy '18, Madrid Combo'20
No guidebook required. Just use the app from the Vie Francigene website - it is excellent. You can download the maps for use offline if need be..

MikeC

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled SJPP to SDC September 2016
Starting Camino Ingles June 2018
We have just finished the final 100km of the Via Francigena.
I did buy the Terre Di Mezzo guide: it was very useful for planning and it is pleasant to be able to read it again and reflect on our pilgrimage.
I did not take it with me, but did photocopy the pages that I needed and then discarded them after each section.
There are some signification alternative routes to choose from as you make the journey: it is easier to make those choices with help from the guidebook.
There are also some confusing alternatives and some poorly waymarked sections in urban areas.
I just weighed the book and it is 315gm: if you are not too bothered about cutting up books your journey will be about 150gm worth.
Hope this helps

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Have just returned from walking from Lucca to Roma. I used apps on my phone. You can buy the Terre di Mezzo guidebook in Lucca if you want. However, the apps I used were great. I also uploaded the route onto Maps.me

tominrm

Hiking to Celebrate the End of Working Life.
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2014,2019)
del Norte ( 2015)
Portuguese ( 2016)
Primitivo ( 2017)
VdlP (2018)
Thank you, all. I will definitely download the app and get a copy of Terre Di Mezzo guide for the planning purpose.

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
Frances (May 2015) all going well and with my husband this time.
Thank you, all. I will definitely download the app and get a copy of Terre Di Mezzo guide for the planning purpose.
I tried to buy the guide online... the ebook, but it did not download. Will have to buy a hard copy when we get there in April.

MikeC

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled SJPP to SDC September 2016
Starting Camino Ingles June 2018
I tried to buy the guide online... the ebook, but it did not download. Will have to buy a hard copy when we get there in April.
I bought my copy from Amazon

suzanne perron

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Frances, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, 1/2 Via Plata. Future: Italian part of Via Francigena
Hello,
I have walked several caminos in France and Spain and am planning a to walk the Via Francigena (Italy) as of April. I am a little concerned about the cost of accommodations. I have downloaded (first time going techy!) the Via Francigena app and am wondering if it is (or what is?) the best source for low cost/pilgrim hostels. En français ou en anglais ... haven't figured out out to put a picture

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
I am thinking about walking VF next spring and wondering if a guidebook would be necessary to walk from Lucca to Rome. I read it here that the path is well marked from Lucca. My reluctance on getting a guidebook is the weight of the book. I suppose I can download a guide but why if I don't need to read. I am trying to reduce the weight of my backpack to minimum. I think I can download the list of accommodation in my iPhone. Does anyone see the advantage of having a guidebook?
Guide books are wonderful resources but added weight. Buy the book to pay and encourage the author and future writers. Then using your phone, photograph what you need and be prepared along the way.

suzanne perron

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Frances, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, 1/2 Via Plata. Future: Italian part of Via Francigena
Thank you for the tip! It will be useful. In the meanwhile I found a room for 2 (friends) for 51 euros ... best I could find. Called Hotel Miage.

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
I emailed Terre di Mezzi and received wonderful support. I now have the app downloaded on my phone and it looks to be fabulous.

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
I emailed Terre di Mezzi and received wonderful support. I now have the app on my phone and it looks fabulous.

caminka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
see signature
Hello,
I have walked several caminos in France and Spain and am planning a to walk the Via Francigena (Italy) as of April. I am a little concerned about the cost of accommodations. I have downloaded (first time going techy!) the Via Francigena app and am wondering if it is (or what is?) the best source for low cost/pilgrim hostels. En français ou en anglais ... haven't figured out out to put a picture
have you seen the accommodatin list in the resources? it lists pilgrim-specific and pilgrim-friendly budget accommodation, last updated in august 2019.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock