• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting luggage from Geneva to Le Puy

Grizzlybero

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all, Hoping someone can help me find a company that offers luggage transportation and storage for the Geneva Way. I want to post some unnecessary baggage from Geneva to Le Puy, and have it stored in Le Puy while we wander the 17 odd days on the trail. The only way I have been able to find so far is to walk into France, go to a La Poste and mail the excess luggage to the PO in Le Puy post restante. The issue with this method is having to walk from Geneva to France with the excess luggage, and the 15 day limit on the storage of post restante which will be cutting it very close if we take 17 days to walk the trail.

Any leads appreciated, buen camino all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, this might be really tough. I think your best bet would be to contact the pilgrim office in Le Puy (or Geneva) for a recommendation from somebody on the ground. You'll probably need to ship to one of the gites or hotels there, where you have made a reservation.

Hi all, Hoping someone can help me find a company that offers luggage transportation and storage for the Geneva Way. I want to post some unnecessary baggage from Geneva to Le Puy, and have it stored in Le Puy while we wander the 17 odd days on the trail. The only way I have been able to find so far is to walk into France, go to a La Poste and mail the excess luggage to the PO in Le Puy post restante. The issue with this method is having to walk from Geneva to France with the excess luggage, and the 15 day limit on the storage of post restante which will be cutting it very close if we take 17 days to walk the trail.

La Malle Postale actually transports baggage along this route, but it's very expensive -- 45 euros per bag per stage. However, their web suggests that there might be other possibilities for shipping bags along this route. While these other possibilities are not specified, it's probably worth contacting them to see if they could ship a bag all the way. https://www.lamallepostale.com/en/itineraires/chemin-de-compostelle-voie-de-geneve.

I'd imagine that Kitsambler's suggestion might yield fruit, too.

Update: Deeper in La Malle Postale's website I found this link, stating that they can collect your bag in the beginning and then deliver it to you at the final stage. Might be just what you need:

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Try La Malle Postale ... I suggest that you call or email their office and explain carefully what you want to do ... they do store luggage [I used this facility when walking the Chemin de RL Stevenson in 2018] so it should not be a problem and Swiss postal service is very reliable ... you should not have to use poste restante ...

The Swiss-French border is at Geneva airport.You could get a bus from central Geneva to Ferney-Voltaire in France (about 25 Mins).
That way you don't need to carry the luggage to the camino border with France, but you may need more time in Geneva to sort things out.
Buen camino

When will you be in Geneva?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try La Malle Postale ... I suggest that you call or email their office and explain carefully what you want to do ... they do store luggage [I used this facility when walking the Chemin de RL Stevenson in 2018] so it should not be a problem and Swiss postal service is very reliable ... you should not have to use poste restante ...
I've emailed them, appreciate the advice

The Swiss-French border is at Geneva airport.You could get a bus from central Geneva to Ferney-Voltaire in France (about 25 Mins).
That way you don't need to carry the luggage to the camino border with France, but you may need more time in Geneva to sort things out.
Buen camino
Thank you, if I have no luck with La Malle Postale then that is what we will do, domestic post should be easier than international I'd imagine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are a couple of other possibilities including taking the Leman Express (train) from the main railroad station to Annemasse, France, or still going to Annemasse with the tram that leaves Cornavin railroad station.
A round trip from Cornavin to Annemasse can be paid in Euros and cost about 20€.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For those following, here is the response from La Malle Postale :
Hello and thank you for your request.

No we can't pick up your luggage in Geneva and store in Le Puy-en-Velay.

Our service is to transfer your luggage step by step during your walk. You can make a request on our website : https://www.lamallepostale.com/en/itineraires/chemin-de-compostelle-voie-de-geneve
What I was suggesting you do is to send your excess luggage via Swiss Poste to La Malle Postale at Le Puy-en-Velay for storage ...
For those following, here is the response from La Malle Postale :
Hello and thank you for your request.

No we can't pick up your luggage in Geneva and store in Le Puy-en-Velay.

Our service is to transfer your luggage step by step during your walk. You can make a request on our website : https://www.lamallepostale.com/en/itineraires/chemin-de-compostelle-voie-de-geneve

@Grizzlybero ... did you ask La Malle Postale about luggage storage? So that you can ship your excess luggage to their office at Le Puy-en-Velay using the Swiss postal service [surely reliable🤔] and ask them to hold for you until you arrive??

What I was suggesting you do is to send your excess luggage via Swiss Poste to La Malle Postale at Le Puy-en-Velay for storage ...

@Grizzlybero ... did you ask La Malle Postale about luggage storage? So that you can ship your excess luggage to their office at Le Puy-en-Velay using the Swiss postal service [surely reliable🤔] and ask them to hold for you until you arrive??
Hey, yes, I asked about storing luggage at Le Puy. Disappointed in their response, I'd imagine they're doing very well with daily transfers as that's their core business.

Hey, yes, I asked about storing luggage at Le Puy. Disappointed in their response, I'd imagine they're doing very well with daily transfers as that's their core business.
Mmmm, yes ... that is disappointing ... I was pretty certain that they could help you with luggage storage ... I understand completely that they could / would not collect your luggage from Geneva but the rest seems pretty straightforward and part of their business ...

My next suggestion is to send your excess baggage via Swiss Post to your accommodation at Le Puy ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back