• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Podiensis

Maidie

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis starting in June 2018
Hi all,
I'm from Kerry, Ireland and heading with my 16yr old daughter for the first time to the Camino! Yay :) We decided to start in Le Puy and we have just booked our flights! This forum is fantastic and I'm looking forward to getting lots of help and hopefully when we have had our first experience then I can return the favor and give some help back! Maide

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually I already have one question - If i arrive in Lyon (LYS) airport how long should I give ourselves to get to our connecting train in Part Dieu train station? we arrive in at 10:15am - could i get the midday train? many thanks in advance. Maidie

Will you have baggage to collect. Unfortunately the plane might be late.
However you can take a tram direct from the airport to Lyon Part Dieu rr station every 30 minutes/ journey time is 29 minutes.
See more here -- https://www.rhonexpress.fr/fr/acces-et-horaires/23

Good luck and Bon chemin!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Will you have baggage to collect. Unfortunately the plane might be late.
However you can take a tram direct from the airport to Lyon Part Dieu rr station every 30 minutes.
See more here -- https://www.rhonexpress.fr/fr/acces-et-horaires/23

Good luck and Bon chemin!
Hi mspath :) my first forum , my first reply! thanks for that. I have actually booked the express tram tickets already. Was wondering if I booked the 12.05 train to Le Puy will I have left enough time to get to it - should prob give myself more time and book the train for around the 14.00 ? The train at midday is direct to Le Puy so it appeals to me more but I can deal with changes too hey - it's all about going with the flow! or learning to anyway....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I respectfully agree with mspath. Even if your flight is on time, Lyon is a big airport and it is a long walk to the tram. The tram will take you to (but not into) Lyon Part-Dieu station, around which there are a number of reasonably-priced restaurants for lunch. I suggest taking your time and unwinding with a glass of something.

You don't say when you are going, but the current SNCF timetable gives 15:05 as the next departure from Lyon after 12:06 to get to Le Puy, changing at ST-ETIENNE-CHĂ‚TEAUCREUX (which is very straightforward) arriving at 17:20.

The journey up the Loire valley is delightful. Just don't forget to compost (stamp) your ticket in the yellow machine, unless you have bought online, in which case you don't have to.

I respectfully agree with mspath. Even if your flight is on time, Lyon is a big airport and it is a long walk to the tram. The tram will take you to (but not into) Lyon Part-Dieu station, around which there are a number of reasonably-priced restaurants for lunch. I suggest taking your time and unwinding with a glass of something.

You don't say when you are going, but the current SNCF timetable gives 15:05 as the next departure from Lyon after 12:06 to get to Le Puy, changing at ST-ETIENNE-CHĂ‚TEAUCREUX (which is very straightforward) arriving at 17:20.

The journey up the Loire valley is delightful. Just don't forget to compost (stamp) your ticket in the yellow machine, unless you have bought online, in which case you don't have to.
thanks for the reply - such lovely help so far!! I booked the 15:05 train - the 'glass of something' swung me :) Getting my Camino Passport in St. James Church in Dublin on Friday so it will be all systems go after that - can't wait! Getting accommodation along the way could take a bit of work alright but I don't mind that. That said if anyone has any recommendations between Le Puy and Cahors I'd be delighted to see them.
Maighread

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maighread, when you get to Le Puy, head for the office of the Amis du Puy, 29 Rue Cardinal de Polignac. Every evening from 1 April, at 6pm - 7:30pm they have an informal gathering where you will have a glass of wine, (une verre d'amitie) get your credencial stamped, and meet other walkers, many of whom you will see again on the chemin.

Bon chemin et bon courage!

Maighread, when you get to Le Puy, head for the office of the Amis du Puy, 29 Rue Cardinal de Polignac. Every evening from 1 April, at 6pm - 7:30pm they have an informal gathering where you will have a glass of wine, (une verre d'amitie) get your credencial stamped, and meet other walkers, many of whom you will see again on the chemin.

Bon chemin et bon courage!
Thanks Glenshiro! That's great advice as it's lovely to get to meet others especially on day one and settle the nerves!! My first time walking outside of Ireland and soooo excited to start with this beautiful sounding walk.
Maighread

... and so we are off!!!!
It's my first time walking in Europe but not my first time walking - if you know what i mean!! As you know walking in Ireland means carrying the 4 seasons clothes in your bag and waterproof boots, maybe even gaiters :) Do you think we need to be as prepared for this walk? My friends have done most of the Camino in Spain but booking accommodation for this route proved to be a tad harder. That said I think we have it sorted. We didn't want to leave it to chance so booked in advance. We have 20 nights of accommodation in 16 towns with 15 days walking. we decided to do these stops and i would be most grateful if you would, or anyone else reading this, cast your experienced eye over the list and tell me most positively that its very doable!!!!!
le puy(2nights)-st privat d'allier-Saugues-Chanaleilles-Aumont Aubrac-Nasbinals(2nights)-St Chely D'Aubrac-Espalion-Golinhac-Conques(2nights)-Decazeville(actually Cranzac because we couldn't find any accomodation!)-Figeac(29K??)-Carjac (32km? is this doable?)-Llimogne en Quercy-Lalbenque-Cahors
I'm really looking forward to it but nervous. The 16 yr old loves walking and is well able. This 53 yr old loves to walk too and did 30k yesterday on road to see what it was like - was hard on the feet!! Could do that no prob on the kerry way . Is there a lot of road walking in the Via? I must download an elevation map but I don't think that will be a worry to us from the Kerry hills :) The distances between towns worries me a little alright.
Anyway I appreciate anyone reading this - if ye did :) - and I look forward to taking advice on board!
It's great to have these forums and I have been reading quite a bit - I hope I can be of any help in the future!
M

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your itinerary looks eminently doable - there are two long climbs, the first from Monistrol-d'Allier (second day, to Saugues) the second from Estaing (after Espalion) to Golinhac. Apart from that, it's a doddle. Can't find Cranzac on a map, but you're not missing much by not staying in Decazeville - it's a former (open-cast) mining town which has seen better days.

Between there and Figeac you can usefully, with the aid of a map (IGN Top 100 no. 154, Brive-la-Gaillarde Figeac) cut off a few pointless detours.

Figeac to Cajarc is a long but beautiful walk and the first sight of Cajarc is breathtaking. When you leave Cajarc and cross the river Lot to Gaillac you may see new signs diverting you to the right. I advise ignoring them and turning left uphill into Gaillac where you will soon see, on your left, signposts for the trail.

As to clothing, the forecast for the Auvergne is mixed, but mainly sunny, with some showers. Definitely not Kerry, but some stretches (e.g. the Aubrac plateau - exposed and can be wet and windy, but you'll cross it in a few hours) will be muddy. Whatever the weather, the view will more than make up for it - not to mention the food! (If you're Irish, you'll love aligote. I do.)

You will have the time of your life - enjoy it (and please keep us updated.)

Bon chemin!

Your itinerary looks eminently doable - there are two long climbs, the first from Monistrol-d'Allier (second day, to Saugues) the second from Estaing (after Espalion) to Golinhac. Apart from that, it's a doddle. Can't find Cranzac on a map, but you're not missing much by not staying in Decazeville - it's a former (open-cast) mining town which has seen better days.

Between there and Figeac you can usefully, with the aid of a map (IGN Top 100 no. 154, Brive-la-Gaillarde Figeac) cut off a few pointless detours.

Figeac to Cajarc is a long but beautiful walk and the first sight of Cajarc is breathtaking. When you leave Cajarc and cross the river Lot to Gaillac you may see new signs diverting you to the right. I advise ignoring them and turning left uphill into Gaillac where you will soon see, on your left, signposts for the trail.

As to clothing, the forecast for the Auvergne is mixed, but mainly sunny, with some showers. Definitely not Kerry, but some stretches (e.g. the Aubrac plateau - exposed and can be wet and windy, but you'll cross it in a few hours) will be muddy. Whatever the weather, the view will more than make up for it - not to mention the food! (If you're Irish, you'll love aligote. I do.)

You will have the time of your life - enjoy it (and please keep us updated.)

Bon chemin!
thankyou so much for the time you spent answering!! Very much appreciated. I kept on searching and eventually found chambre d'hote in Lavinhac instead of Cransac. I am hoping too to be able to stay in the Abbey in Conques which others have mentioned. 8 weeks from today!!!!!!! Also decided on boots and treated myself to a nice light pair today. What is aligote? I could google but asking questions is much more fun :)

No wonder I couldn't find Cransac - it's on a different route! (The GR62B) You are not the first person to make that mistake. Livinhac-le-Haut is a much better choice and puts you well on the way to Figeac. Are you using Miam Miam Dodo to find accommodation? Here is a link to the online version - hope it works.

Don't miss the evening service in Conques, preceded by a talk (in French) explaining the meaning of the tympanum above the abbey's main door - it repays close examination.

As for aligot (my mistake - no final'e') I can do no better than direct you to Wikipedia. You will find it on the menu from Conques pretty much to Cahors, with each region claiming to have invented it!

It see you're going in June - an excellent time to walk in the Auvergne, as it is still Spring there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would also recommend avoiding Decazeville and staying in Livinhac. There is a detour that avoids Decazeville and shortens that walk. I am sure there is a thread on this forum that will detail this. I don't remember that that route is marked, in fact I remember that it wasn't, so you'll have to have a map or guide book to lead you. Once you come down from the hill across the river Lot from Livinhac, I would recommend expending the effort you saved by avoiding Decazeville by going top the short (.9km) hill to visit the small church of St. Roch. Just past the church the trail will lead you back down to the river Lot and to the bridge for Livinhac.
I think most places in Aumont Aubrac will also serve Aligot.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back