• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Regia in december

dicle

Time of past OR future Camino
I did Via Francigena 2015, Via Francigena Del Sud 2018, Camino Primitivo 2017,Camino Del Norte 2017
hello i wanna walk on via regia in december. Is it possible? can i find any pilgrim hostel?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And check this out (don't know if you speak German).
https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/

I must admit though that these sources do not make clear if the albergues are open in winter. I would think that most of them are, but that is really an (educated) guess. Hope this helps.

Hi Folks

Am I looking in the correct places on the websites above? I can't find the albergues (or Herbergen in this instance)? I can only seem to find Pensions, Hotels and apartments. I'm puzzled....tks for your help

PS - where I'm coming from is that I'm 99% sure that I'm going to do the first 150km of the Via Regia in Sept'19 and I'm trying to discover an online resource with the list of Pilgerherbergen of the Via Regia

That is a bit complicated, as a lot of the Pilgerherbergen are reluctant to have their information on the web (long story!). I have a list of towns here http://viaregia.guide/town-to-town/ with notes which one has pilgrim accommodation, if that helps.

Guten Weg/Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As for winter, yes, most of them are open/will be opened for you on arrival but you will hardly meet any other pilgrims on the way. BC SY

That is a bit complicated, as a lot of the Pilgerherbergen are reluctant to have their information on the web (long story!). I have a list of towns here http://viaregia.guide/town-to-town/ with notes which one has pilgrim accommodation, if that helps.

Guten Weg/Buen Camino, SY

ah, right I see...tks. Wasn't aware of that. And tks for that town to town guide - that certainly is useful!
But from what I've read on here about the Via Regia is that I've to call ahead and "arrange" each Pilgerherberge for the following day or so. I don't think that i can just turn up in the town/village and expect the Pilgerherberge to be open....right? Some of these places are not ordinarily used for accomodation on a daily basis but only when required for a Pilgrim...right?
Am i correct with my assumptions above or am I mistaken?

So therefore I will need a listing of the Pilgerherbergen to phone ahead and arrange accomodation for myself throughout my journey. So should I buy a guide? I assume/think that there is no English guide to the Via Regia so which german guidebook to you recommend (I speak a little but not fluent)? tks

A German guidebook (as well as a credential) can be ordered from this website.
https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/
You can find it under the tab Unterwegs > Pilgerfuhrer.
Please also print out the update (Erganzung 10. Auflage)

The guide has all the contact numbers of Pilgerherbergen.
I used this guide and was very happy with it. It also has maps.

I think there is also a Rothier guide (also in German) but I did not use it. There is no English guide (as far as I know).

You are right. You should contact the Herberg before. I usually did it on the day of arrival, or one day before. Some people do it two days before. Most Herbergen do not have a permanent hospitalero, but are run by local organisations or churches. So it is necessary to phone ahead to check if it is open, and make an arrangement so someone can be there and give you a key.

Hope it all works out. I really enjoyed walking the Via Regia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Question re guidebook was answered by @Marc S. ;-)

Most of the Pilgerherbergen I stayed in are exclusively for pilgrims and calling the same day or max the vening before was enough for me. I also recommend to get the dedicated map, available f.e. in the tourist office in Görlitz.

Buen Camino, SY

You are welcome! Feel free to ask me any questions about my favourite Camino in Germany ;-)
BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.