• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vigo the happiest city in Spain

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I must tell my family there. They'll be pleased.

The 30+ days of paid holidays might have something to do with it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For what it's worth, of course.🙏🏻
I would take it with a large pinch of salt. Not long ago a survey in the UK named my own small home town - Alloa - as "the most depressing and soul-destroying town in Scotland". The place may perhaps not be the most shining example of Scottish culture but I could name a few other Scottish towns which are far worse without too much effort... :cool:

I would take it with a large pinch of salt. Not long ago a survey in the UK named my own small home town - Alloa - as "the most depressing and soul-destroying town in Scotland". The place may perhaps not be the most shining example of Scottish culture but I could name a few other Scottish towns which are far worse without too much effort... :cool:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In late February as I enjoyed the last of the lazy Kiwi summer in my favourite remote spot to relax in all the world, Waikawau Bay
IMG_20240215_070709670_HDR.jpg IMG_20240220_090141482_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20240219_161241584.jpg
Sunrise. Looking north. Looking south

I chatted with a young English couple who were touring Aotearoa New Zealand in their camper van and they said "we love NZ but we are not bothering to stay in Auckland, it is just another big city with bad traffic".

I didn't bother to reply to that.

It is easy to be critical when you don't know a place and have never been there before.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world.

PS. Waikawau Bay is on the East coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, not in Auckland but I won't bore you further with photos of my favourite Auckland spots.

Last edited:
I understand that we all have different experiences on the Camino. I did not enjoy my time in Vigo. I did not find it to be a very friendly city and it was (in my sole opinion) the least pilgrim friendly city I have encountered on two Caminos. I have read accounts from folks that loved Vigo and I am happy for them. That was not my experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I very much enjoyed my brief time in Vigo in February. It got me wondering why a city that's larger than Porto has such a low profile here in the UK (and perhaps other places as well).
I think this is mainly because it is resolutely Galician. It has never had the influx of nationalities that a post-colonial city like Porto has experienced. As such it's more like an expanded large town than a city. There's no range of nationalities bringing shops, customs/religions, eateries, ways of living from across the world etc, and the often visible poverty too.
The impression I got, was of a city life lived in a more innocent time where people still bought things made and produced locally (rather than finding the cheapest giant outlets on the internet), came down from their flats for a coffee in the shop below, kept the streets very clean and know and say hello to a lot of the people in their district. My abiding memory, as I walked in to the city on a quiet Sunday afternoon, was seeing some elderly couples each arm in arm, returning slowly to their apartments after Sunday lunch (maybe in a restaurant or with family), carrying a pastry/cake box tied with ribbon, from their local pastelaria. It felt like something that generations might have been doing in the same way for fifty or maybe a hundred years.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I very much enjoyed my brief time in Vigo in February. It got me wondering why a city that's larger than Porto has such a low profile here in the UK (and perhaps other places as well).
I think this is mainly because it is resolutely Galician. It has never had the influx of nationalities that a post-colonial city like Porto has experienced. As such it's more like an expanded large town than a city. There's no range of nationalities bringing shops, customs/religions, eateries, ways of living from across the world etc, and the often visible poverty too.
The impression I got, was of a city life lived in a more innocent time where people still bought things made and produced locally (rather than finding the cheapest giant outlets on the internet), came down from their flats for a coffee in the shop below, kept the streets very clean and know and say hello to a lot of the people in their district. My abiding memory, as I walked in to the city on a quiet Sunday afternoon, was seeing some elderly couples each arm in arm, returning slowly to their apartments after Sunday lunch (maybe in a restaurant or with family), carrying a pastry/cake box tied with ribbon, from their local pastelaria. It felt like something that generations might have been doing in the same way for fifty or maybe a hundred years.
I was there last year in November. It was when I was walking in heavy rain just about every day. I did think that the Xunta albergue was really nice and clean. The hospitalaria was really nice too. The location of the Xunta was not great in terms of scenery but I didn't walk around much as it was raining alot. I ended up buying a salad and making a bocadillo in the albergue. The next morning I walked through the city and they were in the process of putting up (I guess they are famous, from what I read here) their Christmas lights. Stopped for a coffee and pan tostada. The guy was nice and we chatted. But overall I have no real fond memory of Vigo. I will return to do the coastal again to finish this year's camino. Going to do the Aragones again and Madrid first, (very excited to do the Aragones again and my first Madrid). Hoping it will be a little dryer this time on the CP coastal. I really enjoyed it the last time even though it was like walking in your shower with a poncho on ;))
I will give VIgo another look. I checked Gronze and there is a hostal called R4. It shows it is closed in November but who knows. If it is open I will stay there as it is in the Central Historico. Bookings shows some other choices too. Guess I could splurge a little to get a better look at this city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In late February as I enjoyed the last of the lazy Kiwi summer in my favourite remote spot to relax in all the world, Waikawau Bay
View attachment 167365 View attachment 167366 View attachment 167368
Sunrise. Looking north. Looking south

I chatted with a young English couple who were touring Aotearoa New Zealand in their camper van and they said "we love NZ but we are not bothering to stay in Auckland, it is just another big city with bad traffic".

I didn't bother to reply to that.

It is easy to be critical when you don't know a place and have never been there before.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world.

PS. Waikawau Bay is on the East coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, not in Auckland but I won't bore you further with photos of my favourite Auckland spots.

Ah … go on …. do … 😄😉

My reply will have to wait until I get home because I am currently staying in my "summer house" at Anawhata Beach. Off-grid, remote with very intermittent mobile phone coverage and so I was unable to attach a photo taken out my bedroom window showing the stunning views past the old shady Pohutukawa tree where the Tuis and Kereru like to hang out, down to the beach and bay.

IMG_20240407_093308377_HDR.jpg

I wake up to the sound of the surf that has taken thousands of kilometres to reach this West coast beach and the Tuis singing in the native forest that completely surrounds this slice of Auckland paradise.

IMG_20240402_175404898_HDR.jpg

I have this haven to myself with the closest neighbour being around 4 kilometres away and so I can have a lazy morning, rising late, sitting on the bedroom window seat, looking out at this gorgeous view, with the sun warming my back replying to your post while contemplating a nice hot shower (gas) followed by fresh coffee and breakfast under the Pohutukawa tree.

IMG_20240403_085823237_HDR.jpg

All this I get from the Auckland City Council for €18 a week and mowing the small lawn.

IMG_20240402_190608912_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The house and Anawhata Beach are part the Waitakere Regional Park and when I am feeling more energetic then I head out for a walk to the lesser known Whites beach

IMG_20240403_162602013.jpg IMG_20240403_155016392_HDR.jpg IMG_20240403_163047384_HDR.jpg

or the more famous Mercer Bay loop track (see recent photos in Where did you walk locally).

IMG_20240402_124427760_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg IMG_20240402_124257581_HDR.jpg IMG_20240402_124644604_HDR.jpg

If I am feeling extravagant I can head to the famous Piha surf beach which is 14 minutes drive from here and get a barista coffee, drink at the surf club or get a gourmet meal.

If I am feeling like kicking back and taking it easy then I can do that too.

IMG_20240406_153652539.jpg

As well as numerous tracks leading off in the native forest park that surrounds the house I can walk down to the beach for a surf (big rough waves so I need to be careful when I am on my own) or for a more sedate swim I can go to the crystal clear stream that flows down through the hills into the Anawhata bay and just around a bend in the stream, out of sight of any day-trippers I can relax in a natural hot pool with hot 🔥 water bubbling up through the rocks and mingling with the stream water.

This is just one special place of many in Auckland City.

When I am not in residence at my summer house I can walk through native forest that surrounds the Waitemata harbour and is 5 minutes walk from my home. I get great views of the harbour with stunning sunsets and a private beach with admittedly a couple more other people now and then.

Or I can go to one of many beaches within the Waitemata harbour, visit the islands in the harbour on a ferry or take my own small boat.

I can climb one of the seven notable volcanoes within the city that have protected view shafts.

IMG_20240328_145436356_HDR.jpg

I can take Forum friends from the US for a walk around the Manukau harbour while they wait for their flight home

IMG_20230404_154451058_HDR.jpg

or my Spanish friends for a walk up to the Totara park scenic lookout so that the southern part of the city is laid out at their feet and they can see the airport where they will fly home from.

IMG_20240324_112048972_HDR.jpg

I could write more but my coffee is hot and I want to head outside to drink it in peace and nature ☺️🩴🥝🦀🏖️🌊😎♥️

Last edited:
BTW, if you want to see for yourself then give me a bit of warning that you are coming and I will happily share some Kiwi hospitality with you by showing you around myself.

Like most Kiwis I enjoy sharing Aotearoa New Zealand with visitors and I have been known to be hospitable to almost anyone, including some of those Ozzies 😉😊😊
Ah … go on …. do … 😄😉

Two lovely Spanish friends left last Thursday.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.