• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vilar de Donas, Castillo Pambre and Pazo Ulloa closing times

Colin B

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked from Ribadesella through primitivo in summer 2013. Planning a student trip hopefully summer 2016.
Hello,

I am trying to put together a student (high school) trip next summer and need to have my plans very well put together ahead of time, so I am looking for a little help in planning.

I am hoping to take an afternoon/evening detour from Palas de Rei - either back tracking or skipping ahead to give the students an activity after resting a bit from the hike that day.

From my past trip I assume I could get a couple of taxis fairly easy to these sights. However, does anyone know the opening/closing times for these sights? Having a tough time tracking these down.

Thank you in advance - I know I will have a few more questions soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Colin,
Welcome to the forum. I actually stayed at an albergue turistico in Vilar de Remonde, a few kms off route.
http://www.abolboreta.com/como llegar.html

From there it's a pretty, quiet walk through woods and along rivers to the castle of Pambre. The castle was under a lot of renovation when I got there, but this was more than a year ago, so maybe it's now up and running on regular hours. Turgalicia, which is a very reliable website in my experience, lists visiting hours here: http://www.turgalicia.es/ficha-recurso?cod_rec=7186&langId=es_ES 11-2, 4-6, Tuesday through Sunday. I would check that site for the other two places, which I haven't visited.

For me, staying "off route", especially in those last days from Sarria, was wonderful. Walking through pretty little villages that are just a few kms from the "main drag" is a huge contrast. These places are drying up and dying, while just a few kms away there is chaotic tourism. Anyway, the walk to Pambre is a very nice one.

Good luck with your planning and the eventual camino, Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello,

I am trying to put together a student (high school) trip next summer and need to have my plans very well put together ahead of time, so I am looking for a little help in planning.

I am hoping to take an afternoon/evening detour from Palas de Rei - either back tracking or skipping ahead to give the students an activity after resting a bit from the hike that day.

From my past trip I assume I could get a couple of taxis fairly easy to these sights. However, does anyone know the opening/closing times for these sights? Having a tough time tracking these down.

Thank you in advance - I know I will have a few more questions soon.

I am not sure if you can visit Pazo Ulloa, it was very closed last time I went through I have never heard of the possibility of visiting it. pambre castle is still being renovated, at least it was last time I went through (this spring), but it should be open by next year, it is not clear what the arrangements will be for visiting. when it was open there was a guide in the summer months, open from 11 to 2pm and 4-6 pm. vilar de donas has a guide from May to end september (11 to 2pm and 3pm to 6pm), but usually takes a week off in august. off season there is a local who will open the door for you and entertain you with his 'conspiracy' theories. no English.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just thought I'd add some pictures of Pambre in case anyone else is interested in making this very short detour, with a night at the Borboleta.

For those of you interested in military architecture, I read that this castle is the best medieval military construction in Galicia. Siglo XIV, I believe

pambre1.jpg pambre2.jpg

And if you're one of the ones who is looking for ways to avoid the crowds from Sarria onwards, this is a perfect detour for that! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back