• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villar de Mazarife vs Villadangos del Paramo

Kiwiangela

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking May 2013
I have read a lot on this forum about the 'boring slog out of Leon along the senda,' and wonder why more people have not opted for the path via Villar de Mazarife? Is it because of the lack of facilities? Or is it a harder walk? It is more appealing to me so I would appreciate your thoughts / advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are three albergues in Mazarife, so there are facilities. The route is also mostly road walking, but it is quiet road, fairly flat, and hot and dusty in the summer! Both places are adequate; I prefer Mazarife. Tio Pepe is a good bar/restaurant/albergue with a nice courtyard.

Mazarife and Tio Pepe for sure. After busy bustling Leon AND the long miserable walk out-far worse then the senda in my opinion-the Mazarife way is far quieter then the way to Villadangos del Paramo and the friendly albergue in Tio Pepe is open very early should the weather be inclimate, your feet hurt, or you are not feeling your best. Easy choice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with Scruffy and Falcon. The alternate camino to Villar de Mazarife is a MUCH more pleasant route. You can read my earlier comments (16 Aug 2012 and 17 Feb 2013) regarding this rural route to Mazarilfe and where to find it leaving Virgin del Camino >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic14974.htmland >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic16841.html#p120835. The only drawback to this route is that in autumn there may be hunters stalking in the bordering fields; thus, autumn pilgrims need to be noisy and wear bright colors in order to be noticed and not mistaken for game!

Margaret Meredith .

Next time I will certainly take the route Villar de Mazarife. not in the least because of the pitiful state of the municipal albergue in Villadangos.

We also loved Tio Pepe . Julia who runs the village shop is delightful !
Just be careful to take the right path, it's not easy to decipher all the markings on the road where it divides ... As far as I remember you need to bear left :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Left only left no politics just geography. The fork to Villadangos clearly goes off towards the highway so its not hard to find the way to Mazarife.
S

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In case you're still hesitating: have a look here http://vimeo.com/41129874 where this section can be seen.
After the centre of Virgen del Camino, when you are entering a lower section at the left side of the national road, the waymark is painted on the ground.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Entering Mazarife there is an albergue on the right. Fellow pilgrims who stayed there liked it. On the left is an albergue with apparent character. A fellow pilgrim actually left it because of its cleanliness, drugs, and ambiance, and moved on to Tio Pepe in the center of town by the church. It has shared or private rooms.

the Albergue on the left I think is call "jesus" and for many one of the must stay places on the whole Camino,myself including.
it now has a bar,and when the weather permits you can sleep on the veranda,in the summer the large deep swimming pool with the viking figurehead can be used.
large kitchen 2 free computers,guitars behind the bar-well used by both locals and pilgrims and a large "grassed" garden with washing facilities
yes it has a certain "ambiance" not suited to all, but if your after a place with character its a must. :D
some may find the 30k walk to Astorga the next day a bit hard.
Ian

Villar de Mazarife and Tio Pepe.
I had heard about slog out of Leon and opted to take a city bus to La Virgen de Camino to avoid it. Blue route. If you are not a purist I recommend it. I was adopted by some local bus riders who made sure I got off at the right spot. People are so nice to us peregrinos. I went to morning mass at Iglesia San Froilan in LVDC and that turned out to be a special experience. Arrived in Mazarife by noon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Villar de Mazarife, hands down. The first albergue on the right as you enter offers a fantastic vegetarian meal - Albergue de San Antonio de Padua.

The walk from Virgen del Camino to Villadangos del Paramo is one of the worst stretches of the Way, in my opinion. I've managed to walk it twice, the first time because I didn't know better, and the second time because I was headed for a recommended albergue that is - I think - now closed. Dreadful. Ugh.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back