• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk around Alto de Perdon

Gbadgley

I see that very experienced pilgrim has provided details for a walk around for this challenge. This makes perfect sense to me. I have always been a risk taker until I flew my paraglider into a cliff and broke both ankles. Now I am a little more gun shy! I will be on a Mountain bike starting in Pamplona. Are there any other "challenges" on the Way that might be worthy of a walk around.

Thanks, Gary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The steep descent on shale from El Acebo to Molinaseca can be HELL especially in bad weather. Bike the parallel road LE 463.

MM

The steep descent on shale from El Acebo to Molinaseca can be HELL especially in bad weather. Bike the parallel road LE 463.

MM
Yes, thanks very much Margaret. The walk around that you provided for Alto de Perdon appears to be wonderful. Quiet country roads. A lot with shoulder, a lot without shoulder. But not a hill in sight. Perfect.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a tough up and down just after Castrojeriz in the Meseta. The greatest problem was on the decent - MUD!
It was very difficult on foot - with a bike , a nightmare.

The marked bicycle route for bypassing the Alto de Perdon is on NA-1110. It is not flat, but the only flat route is through the tunnel on A-12, which is prohibited for bicycles. It is a very quiet country highway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The marked bicycle route for bypassing the Alto de Perdon is on NA-1110. It is not flat, but the only flat route is through the tunnel on A-12, which is prohibited for bicycles. It is a very quiet country highway.
Which of the two, in terms of climbing, is the easier of the two? Thanks for the help.

Which of the two, in terms of climbing, is the easier of the two?
What is the first route you are considering? The NA-1110 would not rank very high on the bicycles climbs on the Camino. You can see it on Google street view.

What is the first route you are considering? The NA-1110 would not rank very high on the bicycles climbs on the Camino. You can see it on Google street view.

From Cizur Menor walk SE on NA6000 roughly 14k to Campanas, then on NA121 SE to Muruarte de Reta on NA601 to join the Camino Aragonese. Continue W 10k to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate and 4k further to Puente la Reina on the Camino Frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nightmare, and a hell, keep them coming! Is there a walk around?
To avoid descending on bike the Mostelares plateau hill west of Castrojeriz either walk the bike or immediately west of Casterjeriz bike BU 400 north to follow BU 403 west to Itero de la Vega.

MM

Last edited:
In both cases you will climb to about the 700m contour. The Campanas route is longer.

In both cases you will climb to about the 700m contour. The Campanas route is longer.

Okay, thanks, in your opinion then, which is the safer route? I see that the caraterra has a shoulder but with more traffic. The Campanas route for a large part of it, has no shoulder, but it appears to have a lot less traffic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The route on NA-1110 is marked for bicycles as the Camino route, so I suspect it is properly safe.

There is a tough up and down just after Castrojeriz in the Meseta. The greatest problem was on the decent - MUD!
It was very difficult on foot - with a bike , a nightmare.
Yep, I loved walking up the Altos de Mostelares, but had no idea of the steep downhill right around the corner. I remembered thinking this downhill on a bike must be sheer torture.....this was October and surprisingly dry ground, but definitely has all the makings for mega-mud if decent rain. All to considered and factored in BEFORE engaging...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With all the snow we presently have in Maine I was thinking what a great toboggan slide it would make!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The bicycle route splits from the walking route a bit after Cizur Menor. Follow the yellow arrows through Cizur Menor and turn right when the signs indicate. I have not cycled it, but I think that the markings will take you across the autopista and then up the hill. After descending there are several options to rejoin the walking route at Uterga, Obanos, etc., or take the marked route to Puente la Reina.

Nightmare, and a hell, keep them coming! Is there a walk around?

The Alto de Perdon is pretty easy on a bike. My wife and I have done it twice, the first time with semi- slick tires. We never have had a single crash on the Frances.

The only descent I'd recommend taking to the road is from OCebriero to Tricastella.

Most read last week in this forum

To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Good morning, In summer I am going to cycle the Camino de Santiago from Harburgo to Santiago. I need help to find the list of youth hostels or accommodation in this route. The numbers from 1 are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back