• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking a camino after knee replacement

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés2004, Portugués,Madrid,Plata, hospi Grado
I had my meniscus surgery around 18 years ago, and have walked many thousand kilometres since then. I know a lot about walking with pain, but a few weeks ago my right knee more or less collapsed - and now the orthopedic surgeon says I'm ready for a knee replacement, which I will get in October.

There is great happiness, but a little trepidation. Can someone who has done a camino with a prosthetic knee tell me a little about it? I am curious about pre-op training (so far, doing everything the physiotherapist taught me), the operation itself, post-op training - and when you felt ready to undertake a camino, as well as the results.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had my meniscus surgery around 18 years ago, and have walked many thousand kilometres since then. I know a lot about walking with pain, but a few weeks ago my right knee more or less collapsed - and now the orthopedic surgeon says I'm ready for a knee replacement, which I will get in October.

There is great happiness, but a little trepidation. Can someone who has done a camino with a prosthetic knee tell me a little about it? I am curious about pre-op training (so far, doing everything the physiotherapist taught me), the operation itself, post-op training - and when you felt ready to undertake a camino, as well as the results.
I have had both knees replaced. I probably delayed the second replacement a little more than I should have knowing that the operation and recovery was as painful as it was. I don't know what post-op rehab program you will have available, but take advantage of any time you can get with a good rehab team in a gym. They will have the skills and supporting equipment you don't have, although some of it isn't difficult to buy or make for yourself if you or someone you know has basic carpentry skills.

Recovery is a very individual thing. After the first operation, I was able to walk about 10 km within three months, a marathon in about nine months, and then walked the S:t Olavsleden from Sundsvall to Trondheim just over a year after the operation. After the more recent operation, things seem to be taking longer, although I was able to do two consecutive days of over 20 km on each day after four months, and walked two shortish caminos of a bit over 100 km each in the following three months. It keeps improving, and I hope to be able to do one of the St Olav's Ways next year.

My observation is that it isn't the prosthetic that is the issue - it's just a bit of metal, ceramic and other plastic. It was a combination of the scar tissue and strengthening the musculature surrounding and supporting the knee that needed most work. One of my major goals was getting my knee to bend to 130 degrees, which I did eventually achieve. Some of the rehab team thought this and some of my walking speed and distance goals were overly ambitious, but that was also a great motivator for me to keep working at them. After all, it seemed to me there was little point in going through the operation and recovery if I weren't able to get back to doing the things that I enjoyed before the osteoarthritis started limiting me, and at similar levels of performance.

All the very best for the operation and your recovery.

Hello, Heidi,
I'm trying to remember whether my knee replacement surgery (left knee) came before or after we served together as hospitaleras at Najera. I can't say for sure, except that the surgery took place at the beginning of the pandemic. The hospital where I had it done had five covid outbreaks in different wards and no covid vaccines when I went in for my surgery. I think that everyone on the knee replacement list ahead of me was cancelling. The only challenge in recovering was to get the new knee to go back to a normal angle for walking. I worked at this; it took very little time after the surgery. I missed my final check-in with my surgeon (saw him later) because I was off on camino in Spain, and I have had no trouble since. Once in a while the knee gives a twinge, depending, I think, on cold and damp weather. But so does the other knee, which is generally in good shape. I had been in pain for a lot of years before the surgery and am very glad that I had it done. Good luck to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had both knees replaced, in December 2020 and March 2021 - like @Albertagirl I suspect I benefitted from covid cancellations. After fairly intensive physio (my legs were able to get close to 130° about 3 months after surgery) I was back on the camino in the autumn of 2021 (Montserrat-Santiago). It was wonderful walking virtually without pain, and being able to keep up a reasonable speed and do a reasonable distance, after several years struggling with a stride of only 60cm and under 4km/ph (and therefore finding distances of, say, 30km/day almost unachievable, especially as the days shortened). I live in hill country and try to do 20000 paces most days, and 3-500m of elevation, which I think helped once I was back on camino.

I have had both knees replaced and have walked camino after camino with my new knees. Everyone recovers differently but if there is any advice I can give it is to make your rehab exercises your new religion. Dedication to these is the answer to full recovery. Give it time -- it will take a lot of time. But absolute commitment to your physical therapy is the answer to readiness to undertake a camino. Your ability to walk 15-20 k daily at home will tell you if you can do it . Good luck and happy walking!

I have had both knees replaced. I probably delayed the second replacement a little more than I should have knowing that the operation and recovery was as painful as it was. I don't know what post-op rehab program you will have available, but take advantage of any time you can get with a good rehab team in a gym. They will have the skills and supporting equipment you don't have, although some of it isn't difficult to buy or make for yourself if you or someone you know has basic carpentry skills.

Recovery is a very individual thing. After the first operation, I was able to walk about 10 km within three months, a marathon in about nine months, and then walked the S:t Olavsleden from Sundsvall to Trondheim just over a year after the operation. After the more recent operation, things seem to be taking longer, although I was able to do two consecutive days of over 20 km on each day after four months, and walked two shortish caminos of a bit over 100 km each in the following three months. It keeps improving, and I hope to be able to do one of the St Olav's Ways next year.

My observation is that it isn't the prosthetic that is the issue - it's just a bit of metal, ceramic and other plastic. It was a combination of the scar tissue and strengthening the musculature surrounding and supporting the knee that needed most work. One of my major goals was getting my knee to bend to 130 degrees, which I did eventually achieve. Some of the rehab team thought this and some of my walking speed and distance goals were overly ambitious, but that was also a great motivator for me to keep working at them. After all, it seemed to me there was little point in going through the operation and recovery if I weren't able to get back to doing the things that I enjoyed before the osteoarthritis started limiting me, and at similar levels of performance.

Having just had my second knee replacement the common factor is abject pain and swelling. The repair of the musculature is different however in how it has prease ted itself. What is for sure as you know is that the other knee takes a beating while supporting the new one.
looking forward to walking again without the need for walking sticks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

At age 64I had my rt. knee replaced July 2011 and my left knee replaced Oct. 2012. I walked the Camino Frances in April/May 2013 with no issues. As far as doing pre op training, I wasn't advised to and didn't. The operations themselves were not an issue and only took pain meds for 2/3 days. Went to PT as directed by Dr. and started walk training in Dec. doing about 3 miles, 4 miles in January, 7 miles in Feb and 1st 2 weeks of March, then rest for 2 weeks before Camino. We did the Frances in 34 days but would suggest you might want to take the Valcarlos route with an overnight stop in Valcarlos instead of going directly to Ronsesvalles in one day as per the John Brierley guide. I would also suggest you do the same for the next to Brierley days (Zubiri & Pamplona). This will lessen your potential injuries and give your body a chance to get use to daily walking in this environment. Buen Camino.

I had my right knee replaced during COVID and am now waiting for my other one to be done ( but wearing a special knee brace while I intend to walk the Primitivo leaving in three weeks) - For me, I had serious post op complications so my rehab was really delayed but I just worked very hard at it and it essentially took me a year but last year I walked the Norte with no issues at all, save that I only have gotten about 110 degee flexion ever so alwyas need to take that into account when going up and down hills - but it is functional. Good luck with your knee replacement and it is very encouraging to hear from so many others who continue walking Caminos when they have become bionic, as I wait for my second knee to be done! For me the miracle was being alive to walk the Norte at all so it gave me a focus, with deep gratitude and I cried for about 4 weeks...

Having just had my second knee replacement the common factor is abject pain and swelling. The repair of the musculature is different however in how it has prease ted itself. What is for sure as you know is that the other knee takes a beating while supporting the new one.
I have only had one knee repacement so far, but this has not been my experience. I was in a lot of pain before the surgery and none of the treatments offered helped at all. After the surgery, I recovered quickly and with minimal pain after the first few days. Family members who were helping me out after the surgery knew that I was ready to be on my own after a week or so, and I was happy to get walking again. Of course, your experience may vary, but I found that I recovered quickly and with only a short period of significant pain. If the second knee needs replacement, I shall get myself on the waiting list as soon as I can and expect the best in my recovery.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I had a total knee replacement and did the del norte 6 months after surgery. My knee did not have the range of motion I would have like but all was well.

I have only had one knee repacement so far, but this has not been my experience. I was in a lot of pain before the surgery and none of the treatments offered helped at all. After the surgery, I recovered quickly and with minimal pain after the first few days. Family members who were helping me out after the surgery knew that I was ready to be on my own after a week or so, and I was happy to get walking again. Of course, your experience may vary, but I found that I recovered quickly and with only a short period of significant pain. If the second knee needs replacement, I shall get myself on the waiting list as soon as I can and expect the best in my recovery.
Of interest did you have a partial or total knee replacement? both of mine were total and excruciating. Muscle groups are complaining in differing places each day now.

I had a total knee replacement of my left knee. It had been functioning very poorly for many years and my mobility was inhibited. I had taught myself to bicycle pushing the right pedal only, and trying to maintain my balance. Then I had to give up the bicycle. I continued to walk in the mountains, but it wasn't easy. Injections for pain did not work at all. Finally, my G.P. suggested surgery, and I was put on the end of a very long list. I was assigned to a professor who teaches at the University of Calgary. His students got to practice examining me as I waited my turn for surgery.The pandemic provided my chance, as others cancelled their appointments and I got my knee done. I don't know why my recovery was so successful. At a guess, I appeared to me to be younger than many of those whom I saw in the office and I never gave up my walking. And perhaps getting both knees done at once, as you did, might be more difficult to recover after. All I can suggest for you is to tell your surgeon about your situation and see if you should get a referral to physiotherapy. Knee replacement is a specialized procedure, dependent on the condition of the knee or knees when it is done. I wish you all the best as you struggle with your recovery.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ruptured my right quadricep tendon a year ago today. The doctor told me that my recovery would be about 4 times harder than a knee replacement. I still have pain but, yesterday it was 93 degrees and we packed our packs and walked 8 miles. If you PT that knee properly you'll do awesome. My fiance and I are training for the CF in May.

Thank you, everyone! I'm 57, and the surgeon says he has never met anyone so willing to exercise - so I am hoping that I can do at least 100 km more on the Levante at Easter. We stopped in El Toboso last time we were there (February this year) and Toledo is only 106 km further - so if I plan for a week of walking we should get there.

(Ávila is 243 km from El Toboso, so that will probably be too far, but there are five places between Toledo and Ávila with direct bus connection to Madrid, so we should be able to see how things go and not decide in advance.)

Hi Heidi,
I too had a total left knee replacement after a total right hip replacement.
I have been an athlete most of my life, and the thing I noticed the most during my knee recovery was a loss of muscle mass and consequent weakness in the area surrounding the knee and throughout the attached muscles lower down and above the knee. Walking every day helped firm everything up and strengthen the muscles.
I too had this surgery just before Covid broke in the States, luckily.
I have had no issues with the knee as I was walking whatever distance I happened to attempt. Last April on the Inglés, a three consecutive days of 26-28 kms showed me my leg was ready to carry me, even if my mind and spirit were at times not.
All the best for your recovery.
Paul

€149,-

I did the Norte after a knee replacement and had no problem but I had excellent care (10 days in the hospital unlike 2 days in the US.) I have sinced climbed many mountains where I live in Guatemala and volcanoes and never have a problem. The keys is not only to go the physical therapy but do the exercises at home. I did them religiously 3 times a day.

I did the Norte after a knee replacement and had no problem but I had excellent care (10 days in the hospital unlike 2 days in the US.) I have sinced climbed many mountains where I live in Guatemala and volcanoes and never have a problem. The keys is not only to go the physical therapy but do the exercises at home. I did them religiously 3 times a day.
BTW I was 72 at the time

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I spent part of the day out of Ponte de Lima, including a fairly tough climb on rocky ground, walking with a 70-something guy who had 2 replacement knees. We were not the fastest on the hill but passed quite a few others.

Hope your op goes well tomorrow, @HeidiL. Do the exercises prescribed by the "physioterrorists" (as my mum called them after her own knee replacement op) and you should be back on the Camino before long.

God bless. You’ll be fine. See you on the Camino with my knee replacement going on 12 years and 4 caminos and well over 70!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All the best Heidi. I am confident of your strength of will and believe that your mobility will improve as you do what you need to after the surgery. You are in my prayers.
Mary Louise

I got home from the hospital yesterday. My knee is very stiff and painful right now, but I am using camino planning as an additional analgesic...
It is now up to you. The surgeon has done their work, you now nned to get on with your recovery. I hope you get a good rehab team around you to help you on the next part of this journey, and wish you the best with it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
having been through a ruptured quadricep and major surgery, then months of PT, I can tell you get a good PT and do exactly as they say. I have trained pretty hard. I'll never be where I was before the injury but, I can hike with a pack for miles and miles. I have learned to live with pain. Based on what I know about knee replacements you'll get pretty much everything back. Just train smart and on the schedule given by the PT.

I had knee repalcement in both knees at the same time. I went hiking the Norwegian mountains twice in 5 days 11 weeks after surgery. As long as you do your exercises 4 times a day the first 4 months you will come a long way. I was back in the gym day 12. The mountains was caling me so that was my goal. Today was day 51 after hip replacement, and i went on my first hike. Amazing! Goals is the key to speed recovery. PS. In norway it's fast track (OFS) that counts :)

I walked the Camino in 2018 after having both knees replaced in 2011. I had no problems at all. I did lots of training and prep and I think the only thing I thought concerning my knees was I was worried about falling and possibly injuring them. So I wore ankle hiking boots with the thought prevent ankle sprain and then a possible fall. Having said that I did fall one morning not due to my ankle or knees but skinned up my face good. I was very lucky.
After your knee replacement absolutely absolutely do your physical therapy even though it hurts. It will pass and you will be so happy with your new knee. I had a hip replaced in June and another scheduled for Jan 3rd and I hope to walk the Camino as a retirement gift to myself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a little over four months out from my knee replacement. We're flying to Paris this evening and will start walking from Paris to Orléans on Sunday, and will report on how the new knee is responding. The plans are for short days, lots of rest, reliance on poles, hotel-to-hotel walking, and always keeping the existence of buses in mind. The trail looks very easy, no big hills.

I'm four months after a total knee replacement and I'm walking 2.5 km three times a week. I'm just starting my walking but there's no pain or swelling. I'm 77 so you have to take things slowly so as not to overdo. I hope to keep my stages between 20 and 25 km. Good luck.

After two days of hardcore tourism in Paris, today we walked from Tour Sainte-Jacques via the Cluny Museum to Chatenay-Malabry. There was some complaints from my knee, but we got here. To get more time in Orleans, we’re re-arranging the stages, including sleeping some places «off-piste».

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After two days of hardcore tourism in Paris, today we walked from Tour Sainte-Jacques via the Cluny Museum to Chatenay-Malabry. There was some complaints from my knee, but we got here. To get more time in Orleans, we’re re-arranging the stages, including sleeping some places «off-piste».
Enjoy your walk, but don't overdo it. If you are walking a pilgrimage to Santiago, you may need to decide at some point to take public transit to a 100 km point (there are several options) in order to be able to to finish your pilgrimage on your new knee officially in Santiago. Or are you planning on finishing in Orleans? "Buen camino" however you go.
Mary Louise

Just to Orleans this time!
…or perhaps not. Yesterday’s 17 km was too much, today’s 12 was fine. We’ll walk what we can, and come back another year.

So far, my original left knee hurts more after the day’s walk, while the bionic one is a bit stiff. I’m walking more slowly than I used to, but I’m not in a hurry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
…and then 17 km was perfectly fine the next day.
And then the Great Rainstorm came, with thunder and winds powerful enough to blow down a stone wall at the castle hotel we stayed at, and we decided that I had had enough training. We’re taking the train to Orleans tomorrow morning and will walk on city streets for the next two days until we fly home on Sunday.

We have tickets and a full plan for Easter on the Levante. Many of the albergues seem to have disappeared, so we're doing the luxury version, El Toboso to Toledo in small hotels - average price for three people around €80.
Since the planned stages are quite short, we're looking at places we can walk in the afternoons/evenings after checking in at our hotels, depending on what is around. I expect to see a lot of Eremitas, and every single Easter procession in the neighbourhood...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked (according to my phone) a tiny bit over 150 km at Easter. Short stages, but a lovely time on the Levante. My knee is still a bit stiffer than the original one, but apart from running, it does what I need it to do. 6 months from the operation today...

We walked (according to my phone) a tiny bit over 150 km at Easter. Short stages, but a lovely time on the Levante. My knee is still a bit stiffer than the original one, but apart from running, it does what I need it to do. 6 months from the operation today...
Good for you! My second new knee still gives spasmodic pain after rest. Good for walking though 👍

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.