• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in April 2010 - Is it Doable?

TimCanada

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2010 Leon 2012 Leon 2013 ;SJPP 2018 Porto2024
I have April off of work. I must be back to work for May 3rd. However, I was told that one does not want to be in this area during Easter - not sure why? Therefore I was thinking of arriving on April 5th and beginning April 6th. I am a first time pilgrim (and a first time hiker) so this is all new to me. This gives me 26 days. I am going alone as I do not know others who can get 4 weeks off of work, or are as crazy as me to do something like this.

Question - do I leave a week earlier, start the walk on March 29th and have Easter in Spain; do I begin Arpil 6th and walk quicker; or do I start somewhere such as Logroifio and do the mountains another time? Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Tim, the Fat Canadian :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tim, there are a lot of things for your to consider besides dates, and you leave a lot of information wanting.
First, judging by your name... how fat are you? Are you going to be in condition for a real gut-busting long-distance hike?

Second, Easter is great in Spain. A lot of people begin their caminos at Easter because that´s when they have a holiday from work. Big waves of pilgrims leave major leaving-places like Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria, Salamanca, all at once. So if you want to walk in April, and your leaving coincides with the holidays, try to do your leaving from a less-used place which you can get to from Madrid (assuming you are coming into Madrid.) Instead of riding the train all the way to Leon, get off in Sahagun, for instance, and start there. Or go to Pamplona and get the bus to another camino town a little way down the trail, to get a jump on the great wave of people.

Yes, it is doable. April is very pretty, but be ready for rain, and throngs of people.
If you are as fat as you infer, you might want to give yourself plenty of walking time and a shorter distance to cover. Start your camino in, say, Astorga. Or Ponferrada. Go easy. Leave your expectations at home.

You are in for a great time!

Rebekah

hi tim i will starting my comino from sjdp in april fly from england on 20 april
i
m retired now past 65 been working on my fitness now for the last few weeks

i suggest you start walking 3 or 4 miles at a time to get fit then build up
good luck john

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I forewarned my boss that I am going to have to leave earlier - mid March -in order to be completed and back to work by May 3rd. This way, I will have some spare days just in case I get injured or want to play tourist for a day or two.

I will buy a return air ticket that has fiexibility built into it to allow me go head home when finished, whatever day that will be.

I still need to figure out what is best - to fly into London or Paris - and to make my way from there. Too bad there was not a direct flight to St Jean from Toronto - guess that would be too easy....they could fly above St Jean and push you out with a parachute on....if the winds were favourable you could drift half way over the mountains :lol:

Tim

Hi Tim,
From another canuck...
The flight connection I made from Canada to SJPP were
Vancouver - London, Heathrow
London, Stansted - Biarritz
City transit bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne
Bayonne Gare (trainstation) to Saint Jean Pied du Port.

It was the cheapest air fare, but had a couple inconveniences.
I had a 24 hour stopover in London and spent all the money I had saved on airfare.
Ryanair is a discount airline that flies London to Biarritz and Santiago to London.
But they work out of Stansted airport london so if you arrive in Heathrow, allow 5 or 6 hours to clear customs, travel between airports by bus and check in at Stansted,

The train from Bayonne to SJPP is not operating right now, but there is bus transportation available.

I'm glad you have allowed yourself a few more days. It allows you to walk in total freedom, rather than be tied to a schedule.

Mid march is still winter, so bring layers of clothes, thin gloves and a toque.
Late April is springtime, and you can experience some hot weather.
Galicia will be green and the spring flowers will be out.

Get in some good training walks before you go.
I snowshoed the winter before my first camino and found it to be great exercise.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

David,

Thanks very much for your suggestions and tips. I am pretty much sure that I am leaving the weekend of the 20th, maybe on the Friday, or on the Saturday for sure. So I will be walking two weeks into it before Easter sits in.

I have a new complexity to look into. A gentleman from California says that he always flies into Frankfurt - then goes from there. Too many options :?

I do feel a great sense of relief that I now have 6 weeks to do the walk, instead of the four. That alone takes a lot of the pressure off.

What do people think about Frankfurt?

Tim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would say that Frankfurt might work if it enables you to get a cheaper fare. I used a Lufthansa fare once that gave me a couple of free flights within Europe. So once I had arrived in Frankfurt on my long haul flight, I then just hung around the airport for a few hours for my connecting onward flight. Frankfurt is a major airport hub, so does have connections all over the place. I guess in the end it will boil down to what sort of price you can get compared to other airlines, and whether you can indeed get a connection that takes you close enough to your starting point.
Then I guess you also need to consider what your cheapest options are for getting all the way back to Frankfurt from Santiago at the end.
Margaret

I would fly to Frankfurt and then take a connecting flight to Pamplona. My understanding is that there is a bus service between Pamplona to SJPP.

I have heard that the Frankfurt airport, although a major hub, is much more user friendly than Heathrow.

I may contact Ivar for trying to figure out how to get home. My issue is that I don't know when I am going home....guess it depends on how fast I walk :lol:

I agree that Frankfurt is one of the easiest airport in Europe as it has:
a) a cheap fast underground under the terminal which takes you all over the city, you can buy a day return ticket very economically,
b) it has a huge supermarket in the terminal which sell items at city prices, unlike Heathrow and other international airports. You can buy a hot roast or other mains and three vegetables in a takeaway container in the supermarket and eat it on the many comfortable seats.
c) it is an international hub for air, bus and train services.
d) English is widely spoken.

The return from Santiago can be by Ryan Air to Stansted, check dates as prices fluctuate. From Stansted you catch either the shuttle bus to Gatwick or use the train to Gatwick, you can get cheap train and bus ticket from the Ryan Air to Victoria. From Gatwick you get daily direct flights on the two Low Cost Carriers Airtransat or Thomas Cook to Toronto, in summer there are two flights daily with the peak time all in one way fare of GBP357. It could be much cheaper in May.

All the information are on the website, in case of difficulty you can pm me.

Grandpa Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Grampa,

If I am flying into Frankfurt, would it not make sense to fly back out of Frankfurt? It is much cheaper to book a return ticket at time of booking, than to book a one way flight.

Or do you suggest that I book a one way flight, then book my way home when I am done with the camino? The advantage of that is flexibility. But isn't it a lot more expensive that way.

What do all of you think? I am anxious to know you view because I plan on booking my flight tomorrow.

Tim

Annie, for those of us who need to get to Europe by a long-haul flight, the biggest chunk of the airfare is the long-haul bit. Sometimes certain airlines make it more attractive price-wise to fly into their hub. And sometimes from my far end of the world, they even offer 'free' sectors in Europe to go with it. So the best solution for someone within Europe is not always the best solution for those of us from further away.
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Tim -

I use farecompare.com to research best prices and this is what I've found for March/April:

Toronto – Madrid $747
Toronto – Frankfurt $760
Toronto – Paris $758
Toronto – London $658
Toronto – Bilbao $808

So except for Bilbao and London, the others are pretty much the same. The trick is to figure out whether a flight to Madrid plus train/bus to SJPDP is cheaper than a flight to one of the other destinations, plus shuttle, plus flight/train/bus to SJPDP.

Get your calculator out!

lynne

Hi Tim

My son and I leave from Toronto on April 21, via Amsterdam on KLM with a 12 hour layover because we want to see Amsterdam and then out at 8 pm for Barcelona...where we will couch surf http://www.couchsurfing.com Have a host all set up and on the 25th catch the bus to Pamplona where we also have a surfing host and then on the 26th we set out for Santiago. We had intended to start at St. Jean but changed the starting point because of the very difficulty you are having. Many people skip the Pyrenees, even seasoned hikers...so give some thought to Barcelona.

See you on the trail Canuck

Sharon

Sure Sharon, just when I am confident enough to book my trip, you give me some more options to consider. The couch thing is very interesting.

I will look at options via Amsterdam. But the route from Toronto (or Buffalo) to Frankfrut, then a connecting flight to Pamplona seems simple enough, even for me :) Then a bus to SJPP.

Where in Canada are you from?

Tim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Tim,

Lynne's pricing of
Toronto – London $658
for April flights is different from the Airtransat web price of CND199.00 one way. This is quite a big difference but note that you will arrive in London Gatwick. Ryanair and most other Low Cost Carrier use London Stansted and the connection between these two airports, also Heathrow, is not only expensive but subject to road traffic which can blow away any plans.

If you miss the flight on the LCC there is little recourse to refunds and indeed you may have to purchase a last minute new ticket which is extremely expensive. In reply to your question I found Frankfurt airport well organized, efficient and convenient. It could serve as your hub but have no experience of the outward Santiago - Frankfurt - Toronto flights after completion of the Camino. I found the Santiago to London Stansted flight more convenient as there are regular and very cheap daily flights. Hope this adds to your range of choices.

Grandpa Joe

Thanks for that info - didn't check AirTransat. The flight costs on my list were AC.
lynne

I checked out the AirTransat price. They advertise for $199 but when you go to book, there is a $398 tax charge bringing the price to $600. For my dates which begin in mid-March, their best price is $299 which sounds iike a great deal, but once again the $398 tax charge is added on.

Lynne's prices were taxes included.

I was hoping to have this solved yesterday. I am still playing with the options. But I am pretty sure that I will fly out of Buffalo, landing in Frankfrut with a connecting flight to Pamplona, then a bus to Roncesvalles, then a taxi to SJPP. Almost sounds like I know what I am doing :shock:

Quick poll - I am wrestling with how long to make the trip for - originally I had the month of April booked off but you all told me that was not enough time, so I added two extra weeks. I have from March 20th to May 2nd off of work. But surely I won't need that much time although it will be nice to have some spare days, I don't want to be sitting around Santiago for a week waiting for my return trip. So how many days do you all think I will need? 30? 35? 40?

Tim

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tim, It took me 37 days. I am a slow walker, but I was already walking-fit when I hit Spain. If you booked for 40 days, and found you were making rapid progress, you could always 'slow down' by spending an extra day exploring places like Leon and Astorga. 40 days would give you the ability to take a rest day or two early on if you needed them with blisters/tiredness etc, and would give you a day or two to bus out to Finisterre at the end if you wanted as well.
But booking for a shorter time would work as well. If you realised you were not going to make it to Santiago in your allotted time, you wouldn't be the first or last person to bus across a section to 'catch up' to where you really need to be in terms of your return flight date.
Margaret

Tim, I think you are wise to have a generous number of days in your schedule. I like to plan "extra" time into my schedule. Don't worry about getting to Santiago a couple days early, there is lots to do. Museums, etc, or Just hanging around the Cathedral is exciting. Every hour or so, you will meet peregrinos who you met on the camino but have lost track of them. A joyous reunion. lots of hugs and back slapping. It is great. On my first Camino, I arrived a whole week early. 2 days in Santiago, three days walking to Finisterre, and two days to get back to Biarritz by train to pick up my flight home. It went by really quickly.
The extra time let me "chill out" and relax from the routine of walking each day. After the Camino, walking to Finisterre was a walk across the park. And The extra days took all the pressure off rushing to arrive on a scheduled day inorder to make a flight home.

As for airfares, The east coast of North America to Spain is way cheaper than travelling from the west coast. My ticket for March 27 this year is $1325 Cdn, including taxes. The extra little hop from Victoria to Vancouver doesn't help the price any, but it does save a lot of hassle taking the 3 bus rides and ferry to the Vancouver airport.

You are going to have a wonderful time. I just know it.

If you haven't begun some training walks, get going on those right away.
I began 2 weeks ago and have had 7 walks. 5 of one hour duration, and two 4 hour walks. To add a little zest to the training, I'm walking up a 200 m hill and a 400 m hill. I haven't added a loaded pack yet... I'm really sucking wind without it, but a couple more weeks and I'll add a pack.

Ultreia! (Onward!)
David, Victoria, Canada

hi tim you sent me a email 23 jan sorry with a late reply only iv been in spain tenerrife on holiday
befor you know you will be on your way
getting new boots and new rucksack in the next few days then not walking anywhere with out the rucksack the boots are brasher hillwalker keep the good work up
sent you email on ivons web but not sure if received :) being self taught on the computer
keep well john

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Tim,
Another Canadian coming at you here. I have flown into three airports (Frankfurt, London and Paris) and because of gaps between flights I definitely prefer London. I live on the west coast where we are currently enjoying the winter Olympics along with sunshine and daffodils and not enough snow on the lower mountains.
What works best for me is take and 8:00pm flight out of Vancouver to London. (My rationalle here is that my body would normally be resting at that time of the day.) Then a flight to Biarritz which gets in late (10:45 I think). I get a hotel in the older historic part of town and stay for 2 nights since I get really jet lagged. There's also a very nice youth hostel within a few blocks of the train station if you prefer that. I'm anything but youthful and maybe because of that they treated me exceptionally well the time I stayed there.
I spend a day in Biarritz walking around the old town and sea walk area and go to the train station to find the schedule etc. My French is appalling and of "Le Soup Can" depth but the patient folks at the station seem to get their point across very easily. You may be better to go to the bus depot since there's a problem with the Bayonne to SJPP leg of the train this year.
At any rate, I generally get to SJPP about 10 or 10:30 I think, take time to get some light food (bread and cheese. dried fruit, nuts etc. and water. DO STOP INTO THE PILGRIMS OFFICE IN SJPP no matter where you come in from. You may be too early to go over the Pyrenees in March, depending on what is happening with the weather. They will tell you at the Office. You may have to take the Valcarlos route which is also quite beautiful.
If you are able to go over the top I find it useful to stay at one of the first two albergues (Huntto or Orisson). They are 5 or 6 and about 8 km up respectively. You will feel that you've had quite a healthy walk by the time you get to either one and the overnight fee includes dinner and breakfast so you get a chance to meet some others. Of course the same applies if you decide to stay overnight in SJPP. Getting from SJPP to Roncesvalles is always my hardest day but the one that I remember with the most fondness.
In the meantime Tim, you should do as much walking as you possibly can and preferably including some up and down hills and carrying you backpack. Unless you change your mind and decide to take the bus, you will be walking 20 or 25 km per day so it's really all about endurance.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Attachments

• profil_d_etapes_voir.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 3
Cecelia mentions stopping into the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP for up-to-date information on the weather and feasibility of crossing the Pyrenees via the RN vs Valcarlos. Good advice and we will do so (would also like to pick up a list of algergues open for the 2010 season along the CF which I understand they may have). We arrive late in the evening in SJPdP and plan to commence our walk early (but not at the crack of dawn, or before!). We do, however, want to leave early enough to get to Roncevalles before too late, and certainly before dusk. Does anyone know how early the Pilgrim's Office opens?

Much appreciated.
Dick

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Tim

I am also planning to make the trip in April and have plenty of time to spare. Im on a break year between Highschool and Uni. I was also planning on making the trip alone. I was thinking of doing the Portugese route but am open to change. If you would be interested in hooking up and making the trip with a partner let me know. Im currently living in Switzerland. Get back to me.

Stephen

Stephen,

I was told that April alone would not be enough time so I am leaving a bit earlier - I plan on arriving in SJPP on March 21st and beginning the walk on March 22nd. I have met a very nice couple on here that will likely be two days ahead of me and I would like to catch up to them if possible.

You are very welcome to walk with me, as is anyone. However I warn you that I am guessing that you are in your late teens and I am months away from being 50. Old and fat equals not walking very fast, or far, each day. So if you want, you are welcome to start with me and if you should choose to go ahead, by all means. Or, we could get a wagon and you could pull me :D

Tim

Tim,

I am planning on heading out the 24th or 25th because of work reasons. Hopefully I will catch up with you along the way. But If I somehow leave earlier Ill let you know. Then we can try the wagon idea :p but Ill ride :D. You guessed right im 19, almost at the end up of my teens. I hope to see you along the trail.

Stephen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am leaving next Friday. Toronto to London to Biarritz to SJPP arriving on the 20th.

Am I ready - no way. But it is time to crap or get off the pot so here I go. I need to thank all of you who have helped me with my questions and shared your knowledge.

I have created a blog and anyone is welcome to follow it. The link is http://what-is-tim-up-to-now.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Tim

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back