• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in September 2014

Jabaldo

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are training to walk this September 2014
I am new to the forum and must say it is the best info gathering I have found. The information I have received is up to date and from people who have walked the Camino. Thank you for all of your help and may we find what we look for in life. I will along with my wife be on the Camino this September 2014. We plan on leaving Boston Ma early Sept. fly to Paris and then make our way to SJPP. Check into a hotel (open to suggestion) for a few days and then start. Hopefully for the first day or so try to walk with a group for support. I am sure we won't have any trouble putting together a small group of newbies.
I have been looking at flights, does any one have any suggestion as to which airlines has the best prices. I have looked at Air Turkey as well as Icelandic.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
make our way to SJPP. Check into a hotel (open to suggestion) for a few days and then start.
Hi Jabaldo, welcome to the forum.
I needed a restup before I started walking from SJPDP and decided to have a couple of days at Biarritz. What a great place. Beautiful beaches and wonderful walking along the coastline. I then caught the local bus 20 minutes across to the Bayonne train station from where the little train goes to SJPDP. Stopped there for a day, before walking to Orisson, then the following day to Roncesvalles.
I'll be back in September 2014.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome, Jibaldo! I use two search sites to find low-fare flights, then I compare the fares to the home site for the airline.

This site is great for finding the best routing and fares, but you can't buy the tickets here. (Thanks to another forum member for sharing this site a while back.) http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I also really like the format of Hipmunk. You do your search then click through to the airline or a consolidator's site to purchase. http://www.hipmunk.com/

For places to stay in SJPP, I like Errecaldia B&B, fun by Tim from England. His place is located a two minutes walk from the Pilgrim's Office. http://www.errecaldia.com/

If you want to start your Camino experience with a hostel/gite/auberge right off the bat, Gite L'Esprit du Chemin is highly recommended, and you are sure to establish your small group of newbies over dinner there. They don't have private rooms, though, so you will be in a shared dormitory. http://www.espritduchemin.org/en

Hope that helps! Be sure to post all of your questions...we LOVE talking about the Camino!

~ Nancy

Hello, this is one of my first posts, and totally agree with you this site is the best! We also left from Boston. Our Camino was August 27-Oct 5 2013. September is a beautiful month on the Camino, but very crowded, Our itinerary included travel Aer Lingus to Dublin, then hopped on Ryan Air to Biarritz. We had reserved a shared taxi with Barricoot and arrived in St. Jean! We stayed just one night in the hotel Ramuntcho. It is right down the street from thePilgrims office. We were rested enough to make the short walk to Orrison for the first day. Our stay at Orisson is where we met most of our Camino family. All throughout our journey we would meetup with or cross paths with our friends from Orrison. I have been back 3 months now, and still love reading the blog posts daily and read others blogs to relive the experience!

Thank you for responding to my post. I am surprised to read in you post that September was crowded. I thought that the lateness in the year would yield less people walking. Did you have any problems finding accommodations or any other issues. My wife and I are thinking of the same route that you wrote, Boston, Dublin to Biarritz. How did you secure a shared taxi to SJPP and what did it cost?
Can you share your experience walking over the Pyrenees as well as your training for the Camino.
Thank you again for the post

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Crowding in July and August has pushed a lot of pilgrims into September, so it has seen an increase in numbers. You will always find a bed at any time if you use common sense. While September is getting busier, beds are easy to find, so do not worry about it. As to a taxi, you may find that arranging a departure time for a ride pool delays you as much as waiting for the train, which runs four or five times a day, and costs under 10E. You will meet lots of pilgrims on the train, so it is a great way to start your Camino. Unless your flight arrives after the last train has departed, a taxi may be an unnecessary expense.

Hi Jabaldo,
We decided to use a taxi to cut down on all the transfers and exhaustion of travel. If you google barricoot you will find the site. I think the cost was 32 euro per person, and the ride was about 60-90 minutes to St. Jean. I just sent an email with my arrival date and time to start the process. As for finding a place to stay, we always had a bed! A couple of days we had to keep walking to find one though. We used alburgues's, pensions, Casa rurals and splurged for a hotel once, it all worked out great! The Pyrenees are spectacular, they were some of my most favorite days walking. To prepare we hiked, biked, and walked for 5-7hours with a backpack and in our boots as much as possible. We tried to do back to back days walking during the summer. You could find us walking Boston,Newport RI, Cape cod, or any city or boardwalk. I found it was most important to just be on my feet for long hours! Enjoy the planning, it is an exciting time.
Buen Camino

Boston Cathy
Thank you for your response. Your taxi where did you start? How did you find the alburgues? My wife is concerned about them being private, me not so much. She is also concerned about the sleeping arrangement and the security. Did you have any issues? I believe that part of the Camino is the alburgues and I don't want to miss the experience. We are walking as much as we can daily, about 1-2 hours per day for now. This past fall when we decided we were doing the Camino we were walking and increased our weekly walks to 14 miles. We didn't have any issues except we were tired. Once winter breaks we plan on increasing our walks to get us back up to 14 miles and do them back to back. What did you pack weight? Right now we are both at about 15-20 lbs. It seems manageable. Again thank you for your response.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jabaldo, I am so happy to be able to give you and your wife some tips! I know I learned so much reading these posts. You asked about taxi...We had the taxi company, www.ExpressBourricot.com, meet us at Biarritz airport. Several other pilgrims had booked with them also, so we met other pilgrims while we waited.
As for alburgues, definitely don't miss the experience! It is part of the Camino community. I was not sure about sharing sleeping space, but after a few days I adjusted. Some nights are better than others, and some pilgrims get up very early! There are some alburgues that are large like Roncesvalles, and some small and even a few with private rooms. We got lucky a couple of times with a private room! As I mentioned, we also stayed at a couple of pensions, and Casa rurals that had private sleeping accommodations. We treated ourselves to a hotel in Logrono because we stayed an extra day to visit with friends who live there. You and your wife will find what is comfortable as you move along the Camino.
We carried the Brierly guide which was wonderful for identifying all kinds of places to stay where ever we decided to end the day. It has phone numbers for the accommodations which was very very helpful too.
As for pack weight, I found that aspect of the planning a lot of fun! I looked at so many packing lists and just figured what would work best for us. It helps when you can share some items like toiletries, clothesline/clips, etc. My husband and I both had about 17 lbs. it felt heavy after 5-7 days, so we unloaded about a combined 4- 5lbs of things we didn't use or could live without and shipped them to a post office in Santiago. We just picked them up when we arrived in Santiago, no problems at all.
Buen Camino!

Thank you for you r advise. This certainly has helped.

Thank you for you r advise. This certainly has helped.
Hi,
I am planning on walking in September 2014 from SJPDP. You are probably training in cold conditions whereas I am in the Australian heat! This week I decided to join a gym to help my fitness. 65 years old and I have never been inside one before! I talked to two consultants and neither had any idea about the camino and had never planned a program like it for anyone. My new "trainer" is a young man who listened, was floored at what I want to do, but has worked out a program that we think will suit me. He was about to go home and watch "The Way". Before the heat struck I was walking 20ks 3 times a week but now I am down to 8ks in the morning and will supplement this with 3 gym sessions, 2 just on walking/cycling for fitness and 1 on weights for my upper legs and shoulders. For me it will give me confidence. My daughter had a Hockey Scholarship to Boston University many years ago. She lived there for 2 years and loved it. Unfortunately I didn't have the money to visit ! Keep up the training and positive thoughts and who knows, maybe we will meet somewhere out there in September.... Sonia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I am planning on walking in September 2014 from SJPDP. You are probably training in cold conditions whereas I am in the Australian heat! This week I decided to join a gym to help my fitness. 65 years old and I have never been inside one before! I talked to two consultants and neither had any idea about the camino and had never planned a program like it for anyone. My new "trainer" is a young man who listened, was floored at what I want to do, but has worked out a program that we think will suit me. He was about to go home and watch "The Way". Before the heat struck I was walking 20ks 3 times a week but now I am down to 8ks in the morning and will supplement this with 3 gym sessions, 2 just on walking/cycling for fitness and 1 on weights for my upper legs and shoulders. For me it will give me confidence. My daughter had a Hockey Scholarship to Boston University many years ago. She lived there for 2 years and loved it. Unfortunately I didn't have the money to visit ! Keep up the training and positive thoughts and who knows, maybe we will meet somewhere out there in September.... Sonia

Sonia,
Congratulations on working out a training schedule that works for you. I will be starting in SJPDP on Sept. 9th if all goes to plan. Feel free to pick me up and drag me behind you if you should see me along the wayside. With all that leg/ shoulder training you might not even notice the additional weight! James

Hello September Walkers... I live in France so we're driving down to St Jean on the 12th September. My husband might walk with me on the 13th to Orrison where I/we're going to spend the night... then he'll drive home for work and if all goes to plan I'll meet him in Santiago!

I'm excited and terrified in equal measure and worried that I won't be up to the challenge - I keep telling myself that everyone else feels the same way.

Happy planing!

I'm excited and terrified in equal measure and worried that I won't be up to the challenge
Why?

If you can find an answer to that question, then you can find a solution. Not fit enough? Exercise. Pack may be too heavy? Toss out some items or use a baggage service. Cannot walk a lot of consecutive days? Plan some rest days. May give up? Never commit to anything other than one more step. May disappoint yourself? Lower your expectations so that it is impossible to fail. May disappoint others? That is their problem, not yours.

Imagine the worst that can happen, then visualize how you would handle it. Then imagine the second worst thing that could happen and do the same thing. Work your way down the list of disasters, and you will see that you can handle anything that comes along.

There are always answers to the anxiety that can put it to rest. Find those answers, and you should be able to relax!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
LesBrass
I think Falcon gave you, us great advise. I am certainly taking it to heart. Just that fact that you have committed to walking is the first step on your journey. I too have felt what you are feeling. I think that many pilgrims question themselves after making the commitment to walk the Camino. I think this is natural to second guess your decision. I will be on the trail with you maybe a few days behind you. Walking with my wife who feels as you, not sure why she is doing the Camino except to support me her husband. I will be looking for you.
I made a commitment to my self that if I beat the cancer in my body I would make a statement that Life is what you make it. I don't want cancer to be the last thing people think of when they remember me. I want to go out on a high. The Camino represents to me my journey in life. Long I hope, twisting, full of up's and downs, unassuming, and for the most part what one expects.
Buen Camino
Jim

Hi,

Hi Sonia and all class of September '14
Me 72!!also walking from sJPDP 1st week in sept 14 from Vancouver to Paris .
I work out at gym 5 days a week and walk 4-5 hrs 3 days a week and like you weight training for back ,abs, and shoulders.
I purchased an Osprey Kite 46 yesterday but may exchange for smaller when I "pretend" pack
I am really taking all the minimal packing advice to heart.
Have you booked your flight yet?
Did you watch "The Way"yet?
May see you on the "the way"
Minah

Why?

If you can find an answer to that question, then you can find a solution. Not fit enough? Exercise. Pack may be too heavy? Toss out some items or use a baggage service. Cannot walk a lot of consecutive days? Plan some rest days. May give up? Never commit to anything other than one more step. May disappoint yourself? Lower your expectations so that it is impossible to fail. May disappoint others? That is their problem, not yours.

Imagine the worst that can happen, then visualize how you would handle it. Then imagine the second worst thing that could happen and do the same thing. Work your way down the list of disasters, and you will see that you can handle anything that comes along.

There are always answers to the anxiety that can put it to rest. Find those answers, and you should be able to relax!

I love this advice and will learn it by heart.
I am soo happy that I am not alone in my feelings of getting lost ,not meeting someone to talk too etc. Sometimes it feels like everyone else knows exactly what,when and how they are getting there
Except me ,especially being alone.But this is why we are going right? To prove we can;))
Thankyou Falcon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Falcon thanks for the good advice! I think I'm possible afraid of all the things you've listed... and then add injury, dogs, spiders, the dark, bed bugs... and so on. My husband says that he's worried as I always need a grown-up with me! My friends are kind of amazed in equal measure too.

I have no idea why I want to do this... I just do. I, like Jabaldo, have been through cancer and part of my reason for walking is because I can. But that's not the main reason. I wanted to walk years ago and then had a friend walk about 5 years ago and felt a pang. We drove around Northern Spain on holiday last year and I realised we were following lots of the CF route and just knew I had to go back and walk.

I have lots of preparation to do, and I'm sure the better prepared I am the more confident I'll become... and I take comfort in knowing that I wont really be alone!

I can't image how I'm going to feel on the 14th September waving goodbye to my husband and heading off... or how he'll feel :)

Hiker Lady
Falcon gives out great advise. He is on top of it. I do agree with him. You will be fine along the Camino. I too will be out there letting the experience of the Camino happen to me and to those around me. I am sure we will meet along the way.
Buen Camino Jim

Hello September Walkers... I live in France so we're driving down to St Jean on the 12th September. My husband might walk with me on the 13th to Orrison where I/we're going to spend the night... then he'll drive home for work and if all goes to plan I'll meet him in Santiago!

I'm excited and terrified in equal measure and worried that I won't be up to the challenge - I keep telling myself that everyone else feels the same way.

Happy planing!
Hi there .... yes I feel the same way! The closer to September I get the more terrified I become! Hope to see you there. Cheers, Trish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I work out at gym 5 days a week and walk 4-5 hrs 3 days a week and like you weight training for back ,abs, and shoulders.
I purchased an Osprey Kite 46 yesterday but may exchange for smaller when I "pretend" pack
Minah
Hi Minah, I haven't booked yet but have the flights planned. I have watched "The Way" about 4 times and pick up something new each time. Will fly from Brisbane, Australia to Madrid then train it to SJPDP. I have something within me that is driving me forward. If I stop and think about the whole walk I shake my head and the inevitable "why" question arises. Maybe the "why" will be answered on the "way"! Keep up the great training work. Sonia

Great advice Falcon. I've been running hot and cold for over a year . "Whoa!! This is gonna be GREAT!! then a couple months later "What the heck am I thinking?!" then again and again . But .. Does anyone believe in Omens? .. Here's one ... 10 minutes ago I was on facebook , then I started my "what the Heck" mode .. and Then ,, I opened the forum page and behold .. The first post I read is Falcon's .. that my friends to me is an Omen :) .. All systems go .

Hiker Lady .. we ( My wife Laurie, son Andrew and I )are starting around the 17th Sept or give or take for SJPDP. I walk slow , she walks faster and he walks fastest so one of us will no doubt see you along the WAY .

Great advice Falcon. I've been running hot and cold for over a year . "Whoa!! This is gonna be GREAT!! then a couple months later "What the heck am I thinking?!" then again and again . But .. Does anyone believe in Omens? .. Here's one ... 10 minutes ago I was on facebook , then I started my "what the Heck" mode .. and Then ,, I opened the forum page and behold .. The first post I read is Falcon's .. that my friends to me is an Omen :) .. All systems go .

Hiker Lady .. we ( My wife Laurie, son Andrew and I )are starting around the 17th Sept or give or take for SJPDP. I walk slow , she walks faster and he walks fastest so one of us will no doubt see you along the WAY .

Fred
You and I will be on the Camino at the same time. I plan on departing SJPP on September 17 early in the morning. My plan is to take it easy for the first few days to get use to the routine and to the time change. I plan on stopping in Orisson the first night. I have to learn that this is not a race and that I must slow down and enjoy. My wife will be with me and I am sure she will keep a hold on me. I have read a few of your post and do like the advise you give. I think we think alike. See you on the trail enjoy looking forward to September 2014 for what I know will be a life changing experience for us all.
Buen Camino
Jim

Fred
You and I will be on the Camino at the same time. I plan on departing SJPP on September 17 early in the morning. My plan is to take it easy for the first few days to get use to the routine and to the time change. I plan on stopping in Orisson the first night. I have to learn that this is not a race and that I must slow down and enjoy. My wife will be with me and I am sure she will keep a hold on me. I have read a few of your post and do like the advise you give. I think we think alike. See you on the trail enjoy looking forward to September 2014 for what I know will be a life changing experience for us all.
Buen Camino
Jim

Jim.. Exciting isn't it!?. 232 days to go. Laurie is going so she can identify my body.(she say's) . For some reason she thinks 68 is old . Yes, agree .. easy does it , enjoy the "now" don't carry a watch plus , and this is most important, sip the wine . If our schedules give us a start on the 17th I will let you know. We will be flying in from Dallas to Madrid , then spend the night in Pomplona , next day to SJ where we will stay one night. Orission is our first stop and then ..fate is our navigator . Kay sir ra sir ra

Joe

well... I've been and gone and done it! I've booked 2 beds for Orrison for the 13th September!! :D

Saying goodbye to my husband on the 14th will be tough for sure... it's our wedding anniversay to boot! But... the plan is set and it would seem I'm walking to Santiago!

I am more excited about this Camino then I have been about Christmas as a 5 year old. There are 200 plus days before I start my physical journey. The spiritual journey started when I first saw the movie "the Way" back in Oct 2013. I desided then to make the commitment to walk the Camino. Since then I have been preparing physical, mentally and spiritually to be able to accept what comes my way. I need to do this for me. After prostrate cancer 5 years ago I feel as if time is running out. I don't want to miss out on what is left, so the Camino is very much apart of what is left. See you all on the trail. You will know me for I will be the one on the trail with the biggest smile.
Buen Camino
Jim

I have been looking at flights, does any one have any suggestion as to which airlines has the best prices. I have looked at Air Turkey as well as Icelandic.

Hi, Jabaldo!

I just completed setting up a trip for a friend from Boston who will be walking with me. The flights were with USAir.

Origination in late March, Boston to Madrid to Pamplona (We'll taxi to SJPP)
Return about 7 weeks later, SdC back to Boston by way of Madrid

Cost is just about $1,000 even. I was really surprised by the low fare considering the return out of SdC. When I last walked in Sept. 2012, the cost for an "open jaw" ticket with a return out of SdC was exhorbitant.

Buen Camino!

B

Welcome, Jibaldo! I use two search sites to find low-fare flights, then I compare the fares to the home site for the airline.

This site is great for finding the best routing and fares, but you can't buy the tickets here. (Thanks to another forum member for sharing this site a while back.) http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I also really like the format of Hipmunk. You do your search then click through to the airline or a consolidator's site to purchase. http://www.hipmunk.com/

For places to stay in SJPP, I like Errecaldia B&B, fun by Tim from England. His place is located a two minutes walk from the Pilgrim's Office. http://www.errecaldia.com/

If you want to start your Camino experience with a hostel/gite/auberge right off the bat, Gite L'Esprit du Chemin is highly recommended, and you are sure to establish your small group of newbies over dinner there. They don't have private rooms, though, so you will be in a shared dormitory. http://www.espritduchemin.org/en

Hope that helps! Be sure to post all of your questions...we LOVE talking about the Camino!

~ Nancy
Thanks for the link to hipmunk. I had not heard of the site previously. My daughter and I will be flying from Toronto to Santiago in mid-September for the walk from Sarria as that is all the time that she can get off work. This site will help us decide our flights.

Minah

Hi Minah, looking over the forum as I seem to be doing more and more these days. I live on Vancouver Island, and will be 64 in June and hope to leave from Vancouver to Paris in late afternoon at the end of August and be on the trail at the beginning of September. If I can be in Paris in am - train to Bayonne, overnight there and make my way to SJPP the next day, overnight in SJPP and start the next day. Am thinking to book Orisson for the first night (when I have purchased my ticket that is) Am watching fares. I am allowing a little more than 6 weeks, and thinking that I would return from Madrid to Vancouver if I can get a fare that is comparable to Vanc. - Paris return. I am able to speak Spanish quite comfortably. I have purchased an Osprey 33 pack. It is small and I have put aside what I think I will take - but am sure that it will need fine tuning - especially any toiletries. Fourteen pounds will be my max. I am excited! Hope to connect with you. Linda

Hi, Jabaldo!

I just completed setting up a trip for a friend from Boston who will be walking with me. The flights were with USAir.

Origination in late March, Boston to Madrid to Pamplona (We'll taxi to SJPP)
Return about 7 weeks later, SdC back to Boston by way of Madrid

Cost is just about $1,000 even. I was really surprised by the low fare considering the return out of SdC. When I last walked in Sept. 2012, the cost for an "open jaw" ticket with a return out of SdC was exhorbitant.

Buen Camino!

B
Thank you for your post. I booked my open flight out of Boston to Iceland. Down in Iceland for 3 days then Bayonne through Paris. I hope to meet up with others to share a taxi to SJPP. If not I will go it alone, just my wife and I. I have not booked a return for I am not sure when or from where we will be returning. We start our Camino on September 16 from SJPP and hope to complete in late Oct or early Nov. I am not in a rush so time is meaningless. After the Camino then a few weeks in southern Spain maybe Tarifa. I think we will back track to Paris to fly home. we will see.
Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your moments.
Buen Camino

Thank you for your post. I booked my open flight out of Boston to Iceland. Down in Iceland for 3 days then Bayonne through Paris. I hope to meet up with others to share a taxi to SJPP. If not I will go it alone, just my wife and I. I have not booked a return for I am not sure when or from where we will be returning. We start our Camino on September 16 from SJPP and hope to complete in late Oct or early Nov. I am not in a rush so time is meaningless. After the Camino then a few weeks in southern Spain maybe Tarifa. I think we will back track to Paris to fly home. we will see.
Buen Camino

Just remember there are shengen treaty limits on your length of stay ... 90 days every 180 days.

Falcon thanks for the good advice! I think I'm possible afraid of all the things you've listed... and then add injury, dogs, spiders, the dark, bed bugs... and so on. My husband says that he's worried as I always need a grown-up with me! My friends are kind of amazed in equal measure too.

I have no idea why I want to do this... I just do. I, like Jabaldo, have been through cancer and part of my reason for walking is because I can. But that's not the main reason. I wanted to walk years ago and then had a friend walk about 5 years ago and felt a pang. We drove around Northern Spain on holiday last year and I realised we were following lots of the CF route and just knew I had to go back and walk.

I have lots of preparation to do, and I'm sure the better prepared I am the more confident I'll become... and I take comfort in knowing that I wont really be alone!

I can't image how I'm going to feel on the 14th September waving goodbye to my husband and heading off... or how he'll feel :)

After overcoming the illness Les Brass you will have no worries on the Camino.
You will be surprised how many women you will meet on the walk will have had a similar problem.
Forget the dogs, dark , spiders and bed bugs
Worry about the feet [vasaline will help] and nothing else.
Have a wonderful Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino

Jabaldo, I will also be flying from Boston via Icelandair to Paris then on to Biarrtz arriving on Sept 4. If our travel dates match we could share the ride.

Jabaldo, I will also be flying from Boston via Icelandair to Paris then on to Biarrtz arriving on Sept 4. If our travel dates match we could share the ride.
We are on the same route but you are a few weeks ahead. We will arrive in SJPP on the 14th and starting our Camino on the 16th. I am sure we will meet up along the way.
Buen Camino

I am new to the forum and must say it is the best info gathering I have found. The information I have received is up to date and from people who have walked the Camino. Thank you for all of your help and may we find what we look for in life. I will along with my wife be on the Camino this September 2014. We plan on leaving Boston Ma early Sept. fly to Paris and then make our way to SJPP. Check into a hotel (open to suggestion) for a few days and then start. Hopefully for the first day or so try to walk with a group for support. I am sure we won't have any trouble putting together a small group of newbies.
I live in the Washington DC area and found that Turkish Airlines (TA) offers the best fare to continental Europe. However, be aware that TA flights from the US to Europe usually involve a long layover (15+ hours!) in Istanbul. Next time I fly to Europe I plan to pay about $20-30 extra to stop over in Istanbul for a few days.
Even if you decide to stay in a hotel in SJPP for a few days, you should at least stay the night before starting your camino at L'Esprit du Chemin, across the narrow street from the camino office. L'Esprit has a nice website and reservation is a must. I met my walking 2 companions, for the first couple of days, at this hostal. Also, I suggest that you take the 'high road' across the Pyrenees (the Napoleon route). If you do that you must make reservation for the only albergue in the Pyrenees, at Orrison! Buen camino! (I'll also do my camino in early September, but the camino Portugues this time!)

I live in the Washington DC area and found that Turkish Airlines (TA) offers the best fare to continental Europe. However, be aware that TA flights from the US to Europe usually involve a long layover (15+ hours!) in Istanbul. Next time I fly to Europe I plan to pay about $20-30 extra to stop over in Istanbul for a few days.
Even if you decide to stay in a hotel in SJPP for a few days, you should at least stay the night before starting your camino at L'Esprit du Chemin, across the narrow street from the camino office. L'Esprit has a nice website and reservation is a must. I met my walking 2 companions, for the first couple of days, at this hostal. Also, I suggest that you take the 'high road' across the Pyrenees (the Napoleon route). If you do that you must make reservation for the only albergue in the Pyrenees, at Orrison! Buen camino! (I'll also do my camino in early September, but the camino Portugues this time!)
Thank you for your update. I booked my trip from Boston to Paris to Biarritz with Icelandic Airlines. Very cheep and we always wanted to see Iceland, so for me this works. We did only book one way so our return is open. Maybe it is Turkish Air through Istanbul.
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your update. I booked my trip from Boston to Paris to Biarritz with Icelandic Airlines. Very cheep and we always wanted to see Iceland, so for me this works. We did only book one way so our return is open. Maybe it is Turkish Air through Istanbul.
Thank you for your help.
I've flown Icelandic Airlines before and it was excellent. Have a safe, pain-free and enjoyable camino!! Regardless of what happens, you'll not regret this decision. Buen camino!!

I appear to have lost the calendar for September you set out, can you direct me to it please? thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AnnieY,
FYI, If you are checking different threads you can also go to the top of the page, click on "Events", select "monthly view", then select the month on the calendar you want to review, select "Go" and you will see the calendar with all the different Pilgrim departures.
-tzq

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
susanaimee, YES YOU CAN! Deep breathe its all good, you'll see.

Happy planing!

Im going to SJPP FROM LONDON im walking alone for the first time.

Last edited:
Leaving Paris on Sept 2 for SJPP. So excited. My daughter and I......just now trying to figure out the train schedule.....

Easy Jet CDG @ 11.00 am monday to friday to Biarritz
Also @ 5.35 pm

There will be 6 starting our walk out of SJPDP on Sept 19. Coming in from Florida, Colorado and Alaska. Four of the 6 completed the Camino In 2012. We started in Sept then and found many positive reason to start again in the fall. I look forward to meeting many of you on the way to Camino de Santiago.

EAGLEAK

Leaving Paris on Sept 2 for SJPP. So excited. My daughter and I......just now trying to figure out the train schedule.....
Sorry you will be ahead of us by a few days. As for a train to SJPP I found mine to Bayonne from there a share a ride to SJPP. Go to the web and look for trains in France. You will fine one. Buen Camino

SNCF for the trains from Paris to Bayonne: Note that TGV trains are possible from CDG 2, Gare Montparnasse and Massy (where trains from both CDG and Montparnasse make a stop). There is also Intercites overnight trains from Gare d'Austerlitz.
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF TER schedules. Pick TER 62 for travel from Bayonne to SJPdP and select the one for your dates of travel.
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/depliant/recherche

TER 62 schedule for 24 August to 23 November. Note the train goes from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains where you transfer to an SNCF operated bus that terminates in SJPdP
http://www.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/aquitaine/62-AFFICHE-2014 25 aout_13 dec_08_08_14_tcm50-9016_tcm50-9015.pdf

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Easy Jet CDG @ 11.00 am monday to friday to Biarritz
Also @ 5.35 pm
I saw that......easy jet. Yet I chose the train instead.....as I thought I might like to see the countryside. Five hour
train ride to Biarritz, will be arriving on Sept 2. We are staying the night. I hope to visit the Rock of the Virgin before leaving for SJPP on Sept 3. Doable?

SNCF for the trains from Paris to Bayonne: Note that TGV trains are possible from CDG 2, Gare Montparnasse and Massy (where trains from both CDG and Montparnasse make a stop). There is also Intercites overnight trains from Gare d'Austerlitz.
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF TER schedules. Pick TER 62 for travel from Bayonne to SJPdP and select the one for your dates of travel.
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/depliant/recherche

TER 62 schedule for 24 August to 23 November. Note the train goes from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains where you transfer to an SNCF operated bus that terminates in SJPdP
http://www.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/aquitaine/62-AFFICHE-2014 25 aout_13 dec_08_08_14_tcm50-9016_tcm50-9015.pdf
Very good. Thank you SO much. wow. I have also contacted Express Bouricot. But I prefer navigating my way through public transportation as much as possible.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.